Dynadot

Cloudflare as registrar | Experiences?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

arjun29

Top Member
Impact
Cloudflare says it charges exactly what ICANN chares. Do you have experience with cloudflare? I use their CND and hope that having domains with them will be a good idea as I can have native DNS and CDN. But unsure about domain name management, support etc. Pricing seems excellent but not many discussions about them as domain name registrars. Please share your experiences or opinions.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I use them for domains I'm actively developing/using for websites and projects. They're fine for those purposes. Pricing is as advertised.

I don't typically use CF for domains I'm selling. They just aren't set up to be friendly for domainers. You can't really easily manage your DNS when using them purely as a registrar. You have to use Cloudflare's nameservers. They still don't have the ability to push a domain to another Cloudflare user etc.

•••
If you just want to sell domain names, I don't think it's very useful

•••
Cloudflare says it charges exactly what ICANN chares
Only if you are from a no-VAT jurisdiction. Otherwise its worse than any of US-based registrars domainers typically use.

•••
No internal `FREE PUSH` for domain ownership change is a big drawback.
It means that when you sold a domain, that domain must be transfer out.

In this case, the 60 Days lock can caused you to lose a sales if the buyer refused to wait.

•••
Current pricing is 8.57 per year for .coms per email I received today from Cloudflare:

ZZCiA1Z.jpg

I am going to try them for my domains with active websites that use Cloudflare nameservers (none of these domains are for sale).

Last edited:
•••
One issue though, which from searching online seems to be common, is that even after Unlocking the domains at the sending end hours ago, still Cloudflare shows the domains as
Registry status: client transfer prohibited

ezFt0WWh.jpg

Last edited:
•••
Cloudflare took several hours but eventually caught on to that the domains were unlocked at the other end.

One thing: The current prices for a .com at Cloudflare are NOT 8.57, they are 9.15 (8.97 + .18 ICANN fee). This discrepancy seems inexcusable in that the email with the above quoted prices just came hours ago, and I believe the wholesale registry fee changed in September 2022.

However, this 9.15 price is the same for transfers in, new registrations and renewals.

When registering a new domain at Cloudflare, what are nameservers set at initially? assuming that it is true what someone wrote above about Cloudflare requiring you to use their nameservers on all domains being held with them.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back