IT.COM

Circumventing GoDaddy Expiry Auctions

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Has anyone noticed the thousands upon thousands of Godaddy expired auctions ending without bids that never return to the market as a closeout?

Someone has discovered a way to circumvent the regular expired auction process.

They appear to be using an API that places backorders within seconds of auction close. Thus eliminating all competition, auction extensions and closeout conversion times for the cost of a backorder. (In their case, thousands of backorders.)

Although the auctions are already closed, these after the fact backorders are being counted as bids.

In my opinion, any bid that comes in after the auction closes should be automatically canceled and refunded.

What are your thoughts?

BTW, this has been a known issue for awhile.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Has anyone done a whois lookup (or several) for domain(s) which closed at zero bids but never made it to closeouts? @411domains (maybe). To see who the current owner is and the expiry date?

Last edited:
•••
Has anyone done a whois lookup (or several) for domain(s) which closed at zero bids but never made it to closeouts? @411domains (maybe). To see who the current owner is and the expiry date?

That should be obvious.

Still waiting on those who use the platform and have actually witnessed this first hand with expiry auctions to chime in.

•••
That should be obvious.

Still waiting on those who use the platform and have actually witnessed this first hand with expiry auctions to chime in.

Sorry. From your comments. I had assumed you had witnessed this first hand. So your comments are just on hearsay? Is there anybody in this thread who has any specific knowledge of this happening?

•••
Sorry. From your comments. I had assumed you had witnessed this first hand. So your comments are just on hearsay? Is there anybody in this thread who has any specific knowledge of this happening?

I have witnessed this first hand. I witness this every single day.

That said, I'm still waiting on any others who actively use the platform and have witnessed this first hand to chime in.

•••
the bot machines seem to buying up mostly names valued over $1300. based of a sample of 2400 names in closeouts - only 13 names were valued over $1300 (or about 0.5%) I don't think the valuations are accurate in 99% of the time - so they are just blowing good money on names that may never sell. the big guys cant hand pick names so they need to rely on numbers associated with the names.

TediousNeighboringAlaskankleekai-max-1mb.gif
I've noticed this, I don't see how it can be a strategy that can last. I wonder how long before they bow out.

•••
i would say 75% - 90% of the names they are grabbing are crap anyways (no wonder the last owner was dropping them) so let them blow their wads on crap names, there is only so much money they can spend...

the only winner here is godaddy

•••
the only winner here is godaddy

Yup, way too much power for one organization

Hey they also bought afternic that technically makes them two organizations and since they are in bed with huge domains we will count that as three.

Registrar, Marketplace, Afternic etc.

And as domainers we are still letting our godaddy domains expire for them to make money on.

REMEMBER IF YOU'RE GOING TO LET A DOMAIN EXPIRE THAT SITS AT GODADDY PLEASE GIVE IT AWAY TO A FELLOW DOMAINER SO IT DOES NOT END UP ON THEGODADDY EXPIRING AUCTIONS.

Let a fellow domainer make a sale attempt and we might be able to tame the godaddy machine.

•••
I have witnessed this first hand. I witness this every single day.

That said, I'm still waiting on any others who actively use the platform and have witnessed this first hand to chime in.

If you have witnessed this every day, then you should be in a position to provide a handful of examples of the whois info after they don't appear in the closeouts. Although probably we need the info after 3-4 days after. Not immediately.

Last edited:
•••
If you have witnessed this every day, then you should be in a position to provide a handful of examples of the whois info after they don't appear in the closeouts. Although probably we need the info after 3-4 days after. Not immediately.

If you're not a Godaddy Engineer, don't use the platform for expiry auctions and haven't witnessed this first hand, what good would examples do here?
(FTR, the engineers already have the examples and that's all that matters.)
If you need examples, go to the platform...search for expired domains and watch them close. It's not rocket science.

•••
@411domains - Have you placed a backorder on a domain after the auction ended with 0 bids and won the domain in this way?

•••
•••
No. I don't use backorders.
To my knowledge, based on my own experience as well as that of other domainers who have attempted this, it's not possible to win GD Auctions domain by placing a backorder post-auction and pre-closeout. I've never talked to anyone who actually go this to work, though many have tried. If this was possible everyone would be doing this rather than trying to "snipe" domains as closeouts.

Has anyone here successfully placed a backorder after an auction has ended and won a GD auctions domain in this way? With a zero percent success rate I haven't tried this for some time as it's just a waste of time, so I wouldn't be aware if it has recently started working. If you ask GoDaddy support they will say that it works, but GoDaddy support is often clueless about how their platform works, especially auctions, and there is nothing from my own and others first hand experience that indicates that it actually works.

The only way to get a backorder to work on an auction name, to my knowledge, is to place the backorder while the auction is still going on, which will then show up as a $10 bid in the auction (and extend the auction if you place it last moment when there is 1-10 seconds left). That's practically the same as placing a $12 bid, only difference is that you pay slightly less. In terms of visibility/not attracting competition there are no benefits to doing so.

There is one party at GoDaddy auctions that on some days place backorders on thousands of domains while they are still in auction. These backorders are placed around 5 minutes before the end of the auction. As a result, they "open" bidding on all of these names, and those that are decent will get other bids, while they get the garbage ones for their $10 opening bid. What happens in this scenario is that human domainers will cherrypick/bid on the best of these domains after bidding has started, while leaving the scraps to be won by these automated $10 backorders, unless "bidder 1" enters the fray and bids too (which they do at times, though seemingly not most of the time). Overall I think this is a very inefficient approach, as by opening bidding you bring attention to these names, and as a result other domainers will only let you have the worthless ones for $10 as they will bid up those with value. From what I have seen, both HugeDomains and another party that uses WHOIS privacy have used this method of placing a backorder while the auction is still live.

A far more effective approach for them (if it was possible) would be to delay the backorders by 5 minutes, let the domain auctions just end, and then place the backorder a second after auction end, and get them before they reach closeouts. That way they would be able to win far more domains, and of better quality, than they currently do by placing backorders 5 minutes before auction end. I think the fact that they place backorders 5 minutes before auction end, rather than 1 second after auction end, is another indication that you can't win domains by placing a backorder post-auction pre-closeout. If the latter was possible, the strategy of placing a backorder 5 minutes before auction end would be completely counterproductive and self-defeating, and there would be no reason for anyone to place thousands of backorders on any given day before auction end.

That doesn't answer your question of what is happening to domains that don't seem to reach closeouts, but at least I doubt that the answer is that these domains are backordered after auction end.

On my end I have not seen any domains I liked with a valuation of $1300+ hit closeouts for some time. Though I see that there are about 250 .COM domains in closeouts right now with a valuation of $1300+, but in contrast, there are 165,00+ .COM domains with a valuation below $1300. It's pretty obvious that someone is buying practically all .COM domains at GoDaddy with a valuation of $1300+. I don't know how they get the domains with $1300+ valuations that end with zero bids, but I assume that they perhaps use the GoDaddy API or other automated methods to buy these domains as soon as they become available in the system as $11 closeouts. Since domains that do reach closeouts are seriously delayed, maybe API users get the closeout availability info slightly faster than site users do, and so they can easily buy them before us regular users ever even see them? I don't have API access so I have no idea about that. But I at least I really don't think they place backorders to achieve this.

On my end I am seeing sub $1300 valuation domains go to closeouts just like before, pretty much all such domains I'm following reach closeouts, only difference is that they tend to take hours, rather than minutes, to hit the closeouts.

Last edited:
•••
To my knowledge, based on my own experience as well as that of other domainers who have attempted this, it's not possible to win GD Auctions domain by placing a backorder post-auction and pre-closeout. I've never talked to anyone who actually go this to work, though many have tried. If this was possible everyone would be doing this rather than trying to "snipe" domains as closeouts.

Has anyone here successfully placed a backorder after an auction has ended and won a GD auctions domain in this way? With a zero percent success rate I haven't tried this for some time as it's just a waste of time, so I wouldn't be aware if it has recently started working. If you ask GoDaddy support they will say that it works, but GoDaddy support is often clueless about how their platform works, especially auctions, and there is nothing from my own and others first hand experience that indicates that it actually works.

The only way to get a backorder to work on an auction name, to my knowledge, is to place the backorder while the auction is still going on, which will then show up as a $10 bid in the auction (and extend the auction if you place it last moment when there is 1-10 seconds left). That's practically the same as placing a $12 bid, only difference is that you pay slightly less. In terms of visibility/not attracting competition there are no benefits to doing so.

There is one party at GoDaddy auctions that on some days place backorders on thousands of domains while they are still in auction. These backorders are placed around 5 minutes before the end of the auction. As a result, they "open" bidding on all of these names, and those that are decent will get other bids, while they get the garbage ones for their $10 opening bid. What happens in this scenario is that human domainers will cherrypick/bid on the best of these domains after bidding has started, while leaving the scraps to be won by these automated $10 backorders, unless "bidder 1" enters the fray and bids too (which they do at times, though seemingly not most of the time). Overall I think this is a very inefficient approach, as by opening bidding you bring attention to these names, and as a result other domainers will only let you have the worthless ones for $10 as they will bid up those with value. From what I have seen, both HugeDomains and another party that uses WHOIS privacy have used this method of placing a backorder while the auction is still live.

A far more effective approach for them (if it was possible) would be to delay the backorders by 5 minutes, let the domain auctions just end, and then place the backorder a second after auction end, and get them before they reach closeouts. That way they would be able to win far more domains, and of better quality, than they currently do by placing backorders 5 minutes before auction end. I think the fact that they place backorders 5 minutes before auction end, rather than 1 second after auction end, is another indication that you can't win domains by placing a backorder post-auction pre-closeout. If the latter was possible, the strategy of placing a backorder 5 minutes before auction end would be completely counterproductive and self-defeating, and there would be no reason for anyone to place thousands of backorders on any given day before auction end.

That doesn't answer your question of what is happening to domains that don't seem to reach closeouts, but at least I doubt that the answer is that these domains are backordered after auction end.

On my end I have not seen any domains I liked with a valuation of $1300+ hit closeouts for some time. Though I see that there are about 250 .COM domains in closeouts right now with a valuation of $1300+, but in contrast, there are 165,00+ .COM domains with a valuation below $1300. It's pretty obvious that someone is buying practically all .COM domains at GoDaddy with a valuation of $1300+. I don't know how they get the domains with $1300+ valuations that end with zero bids, but I assume that they perhaps use the GoDaddy API or other automated methods to buy these domains as soon as they become available in the system as $11 closeouts. Since domains that do reach closeouts are seriously delayed, maybe API users get the closeout availability info slightly faster than site users do, and so they can easily buy them before us regular users ever even see them? I don't have API access so I have no idea about that. But I at least I really don't think they place backorders to achieve this.

On my end I am seeing sub $1300 valuation domains go to closeouts just like before, pretty much all such domains I'm following reach closeouts, only difference is that they tend to take hours, rather than minutes, to hit the closeouts.

The team has confirmed that backorders are, in fact, being placed on expired domains after regular auction end.

As you know, they've been rolling out changes to the platform for quite some time. In doing so, they managed to open up a small window of opportunity that now makes it possible to place actually place a backorder on an expired domain after regular auction end and before closeout begins.

Given the number of domains that are being snatched up using this tactic, One must assume this is being done with an API.

I don't believe valuation plays a part as some do not have valuations attached.

The person/s doing this appears to have knowledge of the system and an unlimited supply of backorders & domain privacy.

•••
The team has confirmed that backorders are, in fact, being placed on expired domains after regular auction end.

As you know, they've been rolling out changes to the platform for quite some time. In doing so, they managed to open up a small window of opportunity that now makes it possible to place actually place a backorder on an expired domain after regular auction end and before closeout begins.

Given the number of domains that are being snatched up using this tactic, One must assume this is being done with an API.

I don't believe valuation plays a part as some do not have valuations attached.

The person/s doing this appears to have knowledge of the system and an unlimited supply of backorders & domain privacy.
If this works why don't you "circumvent" the godaddy auctions process by placing a backorder yourself on the domains you want, right after auction end? As you know, anyone can freely buy and place backorders on domains after the regular auction has ended.

•••
As always "improvements" by godaddy to their auctions are not int the interest of most of their customers.

•••
Just one of many today...
Watch as the auction ends without bids, pending conversion to closeout.
When refreshed moments later...gone...auction ended.
Regpath search screenshots also show that it was secured with a backorder.
Screenshot 1: Taken at auction end.
Screenshot 2: Taken moments after auction end.

Please no comments on video quality. If you demand better, do your own research.

Attachments

• terminalblockchain-1.PNG
    terminalblockchain-1.PNG
    131.7 KB · Views: 198
  • terminalblockchain-2.PNG
    terminalblockchain-2.PNG
    134.9 KB · Views: 240
•••

Please no comments on video quality. If you demand better, do your own research.

This makes the new "window of opportunity" to place a backorder seem highly probable.

And GoDaddy is in no hurry to fix it?

•••
This makes the new "window of opportunity" to place a backorder seem highly probable.

And GoDaddy is in no hurry to fix it?

Apparently not. It's been going on for awhile.

•••
I know i tried buy names at closeouts only to get beat everytime. I would watch auctions close and refresh the page 1000 times for about 30 mins to only find out that the name is gone. I didnt even have a shot at buying the name from closeouts they never appeared.

•••

Couldn't that scenario also apply to Godaddy Partners who don't participate in the Closeout Auctions, just like this example. It would be more interesting if this was a GoDaddy registered domain.

Last edited:
•••
Apparently not. It's been going on for awhile.
You can buy backorders for $16.34 each if you buy 100 and use a basic promo code, and that is available to everyone. You can probably get them even cheaper if you find a better promo (I managed to bring the price down to $16 with a few minutes of searching for a code). I assume their large buyers get slightly better deals, considering that they even include WHOIS privacy for their backorders. A domainer with discount club membership pays $19.47 for an $11 closeout purchase. Domainers without discount membership pay more. So GoDaddy is earning 15-20% less on every sold domain sold post-auction to this api backorder as a result of this practice. They earned more on these domains in the past when they went to closeouts and people bought them there. Considering how every update at GD is geared towards maximizing profit it's surprising that they let this one or two entities snatch up thousands of domains at discounted prices.

•••
I know i tried buy names at closeouts only to get beat everytime. I would watch auctions close and refresh the page 1000 times for about 30 mins to only find out that the name is gone. I didnt even have a shot at buying the name from closeouts they never appeared.
Some domains take 5-6 hours to reach closeout status these days.

And when a domain shows up as a close out no longer seems to bear any direct correlation with when the auction ended. A domain auction that ended in the last hour of the daily auctions period may show up as a closeout before a domain where the auction ended in the first hour of the daily auction window. Until recently they showed up chronologically in line with when an auction ended.

Anyone have any idea whether this is a permanent and deliberate move by GD to extend and randomize the auction to closeout period? Or is this just a temporary result of their system struggling to process a larger number of domains going through their auctions and closeouts?

•••
Couldn't that scenario also apply to Godaddy Partners who don't participate in the Closeout Auctions, just like this example. It would be more interesting if this was a GoDaddy registered domain.
I observed the same pattern for GD registered domains today. No bids. Backorder added post-auction.

•••

It's quite possible. However, I've purchased numerous closeouts from this particular Partner registrar in the past.
If it were registered with Godaddy, the domain would have immediately moved over to the Afternic Expiry Assignment holding account.

•••
Some domains take 5-6 hours to reach closeout status these days.

And when a domain shows up as a close out no longer seems to bear any direct correlation with when the auction ended. A domain auction that ended in the last hour of the daily auctions period may show up as a closeout before a domain where the auction ended in the first hour of the daily auction window. Until recently they showed up chronologically in line with when an auction ended.

Anyone have any idea whether this is a permanent and deliberate move by GD to extend and randomize the auction to closeout period? Or is this just a temporary result of their system struggling to process a larger number of domains going through their auctions and closeouts?

To be honest, I don't believe it's the system struggling. I believe it the people working on the system who are struggling.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back