IT.COM

question Cheap & good: Sav vs Namesilo vs Porkbun vs Cloudflare? (2023)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

mostvalp

Established Member
Impact
I have some domains in use and I want a registrar that is decent and has options.
For reference the cost of a domain is now $8.97+0.18, in sep. 2023 will be $9.59+0.18
  • I’m now at Namesilo, I have been for many years, but now a .com is almost 2$ over cost. So I’m thinking of leaving it.

• Sav sometimes is slow, and I have seen some errors on their site and data. Also they are selling at cost, 9.14$, which let’s me to believe that at some point the price will increase to an unknown amount, and I don’t want to be changing registrars.

• Porkbun has a good price $9.73, I used it a little bit, their site and domain options are OK I think.

• Cloudflare sells at cost and states “Cloudflare Registrar will only ever charge you what we pay to the registry for your domain.” The negative aspect is “Must use Cloudflare nameservers”. I use cloudflare as a CDN (Free), but I park some domains with Sedo DNS. Also I’m afraid of putting all eggs in one basket, and get my account banned for some DDOS attack or excessive bandwidth.

I think Porkbun may be the better option for me, what do you think?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Porkbun has had better prices, but have also seen big rises since using them for 5 years, the interface is clear and some useful bulk options.

SAV is currently my favorite, cause they not upsell, not sticking dead domains in your account like Porkbun and it all feels more simplified, but their support is not very friendly mostly, they saying unclear things, they blocking your account if a marketplace order could not processed, but their Middleware or payment processor is just buggy and has lead me to lost a few nice catches without the support has helped at all. The only thing they were always asking was an ID shot, which I am not sending them for different reasons and after ignoring this, my marketplace account has worked again. So far, I am not trusting them, also after reading different shady practices of their owner to takeover customer domains.

Better pay a bit more, but be sure you stay in control, so stick to Porkbun

Last edited:
•••
Exclude Cloudflare from your list and it has nothing in common with other three options (other than it is really cheap).

They have no tools for domainers or fast transfer. Domain push is very complecated too.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back