IT.COM

question Change registrar to pay less renewal fees?

NameSilo
Watch

Stantrifo

Established Member
Impact
Hi everyone! I am not new to domaining, but this is my first time on NP!

As you know, registrars like GD might look good when registering a new domain for 1-2 years, but the renewal price can be scary and make you want to drop the domain...
  • Can you move your domains from, let's say GoDaddy to DynaDot a month before expiration to save a couple bucks on renewal fees?
  • Do you need to adjust your listings (fast transfer on Afternic) and also DNS (DAN landers) ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Rule #1

When starting out, Godaddy isnt noob’s friend

$19 now regular price for .com unless own xxx domains or shell hundreds“hostage tax” a year what i call their Discount Club.

I recommend:
Dynadot, NameSilo, Porkbun
or my favorite…
EPIK!

Last edited:
•••
You can move your domains at any point during their registration and even up to 45 days after at some registrars.

When you move your name/s the new registrar will likely implement their own name servers so if you have them parked you might need to go in and change them back again.

Remember renewal cost isn't the be all and end all. Some registrars might charge extra but their UI or customer service might be worth it. Some registrars will transfer your name almost instantly and some take 5 or more days. Read the review threads on here to decide what registrar offers you the biggest bang for your buck.

Good luck!

•••
Thank you for your replies!

I was thinking a fast seller could use the best out of GD for 1-2 years (customer service, user friendly dashboard, etc.) and then move its domains to another (cheaper) registrar if it didn't sell in this period of time, to avoid the costy renewal fee.

I'll read about it.

Thanks again;)

•••
yes you can, and your nameservers should still be pointing where they were, but you can always check this in any account you have. ty.

•••
You can move your domains at any point during their registration and even up to 45 days after at some registrars.

Personally I would not be suggesting this at any time (ie: up to 45 days after expiry) especially to someone not familiar the transfer process. Problems could occur if you try to transfer after the domain is expired, lots of people have run into such issues.

I'm more aligned with OP's idea of transferring about a month before expiry. Bare minimum of 1-2 weeks to take into account the 5 day wait period that some registrars do not let you bypass. If you need to wait 2 weeks to spend $10 on a transfer/renewal (like me sometimes!!! sigh.) then you have serious issue with your finances. It's not worth the risk of delay especially for good domains.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back