Dynadot

discuss Challenge Transferring High Value Domains to Other Registrars?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

LoveCatchyDomains

Daring to LiveTop Member
Impact
Has anyone ever had a challenge trying to transfer a higher-value domain from one registar to another?

One domain recently in my portfolio started being cited by the registrar for potential to be sold for "XXXX" on their site. It was one of those big notices at the top of the domain list, suggesting that this had a great potential. Renewal was coming up in several months, but I had already decided to transfer this one, along with many others, to a different registrar with lower cost renewals.
After multiple phone calls and emails, including manual verification, I was able to get the previous registrar to release the domain. There seemed to be so much difficulty with this one particular domain transfer, compared to over a dozen of other ones that I also did in the same transaction.

Has anyone had this experience? Did it turn out that the domain did have potential buyers, and that you were able to sell it fairly quickly after the transfer? Any other thoughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thank you for clarifying the GD estimated value threshold.

The goal was to wrap up all the transfers within a matter of days. With the transfer verify issue, it took over a week. And there was much confusion, including to the other registrar and me.

What would help in the future is to have an alert up front. For example, when getting the authorization code from GD, they could clarify with an message that the additional manual approval will be needed for that high estimated-value domain. That might have averted the multiple phone calls and emails.

•••
This is clearly you mantra.
Keep in mind, though, that the GD valuations did promote my renewing the domains over many years. Why drop a domain worth XXXX? So clearly their appraisals worked on at least one person...me. I kept renewing the domains, figuring that if I didn't eventually develop them, at least I would be able to sell them at that point.
And, to their credit, so far at least one of their valuations did yield a sale in that ballpark.

that's the point... it's not my mantra.. its the mantra of all who know enuf about domains

•••
We do put extra scrutiny on some domains. It is a small %. I dont really want to go into the criteria for it but it isnt just valuation that is one data point of many. It is done to help make sure the domain name is not being stolen. We deem these transactions high risk for one reason or another. I dont want to name the reasons here because I don't want bad actors to try and get around them more easily. We have saved enough domains this way to make it worth it for us to continue to do it. You can respond to the team who is putting the hold on the transfer to speed it along or contact support for help with it. Your premier rep, if you have one can get in touch with the transfer team and ok the domain for you as well.

Basically they want to be sure you know the domain is leaving your account once they do it moves along quickly, most times you can accept the transfer out right there and we release the domain to the other registrar.

If you do not respond, (I forget the number of days it is in the email you get) the transfer is approved anyway if you do not answer. We are trying to put in a buffer to stop names we deem high risk for one reason or another from leaving without the customer knowing. Once they leave GoDaddy we can not always easily help you get it back. Some companies will not return the domain. You would need a lawyer and to wait for a court to give an order to give you back the domain. If it is a valuable domain or a business is being run on it that can have really devastating effects on your livelihood.

The system is not connected to DTVS so they act independently from each other. It is updated routinely as things change so the factors are in flux as the environment changes. The % of domains overall that are flagged like this has improved as our data has been refined to flag less and less false positives. I dont think we can remove them all but we do try to not inconvenience anyone legitimately trying to make a transfer away by continuing to refine the criteria we look at to flag a domain.

At the end of the day we are trying to do what we can to help make sure your assets are protected.

•••
@Joe Styler, I also experience it as a hurdle. The algorithm for this could be so much smarter, especially if I always approve transfer outs from the same fixed IP address. What bothers me the most, however, is the total lack of useful information in the Transfer dashboard when something like this happens. There will be an error code and you can then google what is going on. So my two suggestions today are: 1) make the algo a bit smarter, and 2) better describe the error codes in the dashboard.

Last edited:
•••
We do put extra scrutiny on some domains. It is a small %. I dont really want to go into the criteria for it but it isnt just valuation that is one data point of many. It is done to help make sure the domain name is not being stolen. We deem these transactions high risk for one reason or another. I dont want to name the reasons here because I don't want bad actors to try and get around them more easily. We have saved enough domains this way to make it worth it for us to continue to do it. You can respond to the team who is putting the hold on the transfer to speed it along or contact support for help with it. Your premier rep, if you have one can get in touch with the transfer team and ok the domain for you as well.

Thanks for your thoughtful response. That's good to know, that the extra security is provided, and not just based on the estimated value.
Incidentally, this the first time I've heard of the term "premier rep" with GoDaddy. What is a GoDaddy premier rep, and what is required to have one? There may be domain investors on this forum that are unaware of this feature, and may be interested to have that extra help with transfers.

Last edited:
•••
Another suggestion: automate this thing where possible for customers already using 2fa. A 'risky' transfer can be confirmed (or better, 'expedited') with a code. I'm sure you can come up with a smart solution.

Last edited:
•••
Another suggestion: automate this thing where possible for customers already using 2fa. A 'risky' transfer can be confirmed (or better, 'expedited') with a code. I'm sure you can come up with a smart solution.
Great idea! At a minimum, provide a text alert to the "high-risk" domain transfer, citing that a "transfer verify" email has been sent. This would provide an additional layer of security.

Adding the automation with a two-factor authentication would probably be very smart and more efficient.

Last edited:
•••
@Joe Styler, I also experience it as a hurdle. The algorithm for this could be so much smarter, especially if I always approve transfer outs from the same fixed IP address. What bothers me the most, however, is the total lack of useful information in the Transfer dashboard when something like this happens. There will be an error code and you can then google what is going on. So my two suggestions today are: 1) make the algo a bit smarter, and 2) better describe the error codes in the dashboard.
good suggestions. I will pass them on.

•••
Look on wayback machine to see previous history as you will find last owner is still advertising most of the time.

Last edited:
•••
Serious over reach by GD. Any other platform pulling this “we decide if it can transfer easily” would be lambasted and there would be hundreds of threads of complaints.

For example look at the countless gripes on the DAN thread. No one holds GD feet to the fire about anything.

Its not ok for a registrar to decide you need to jump through hoops to transfer your domain. The only way its ok is if it is an option that the owner gets to choose extra measures. Not some arbitrary decision by GD.

Any justification is bullshit. They just don’t want you to take your domains elsewhere.

Can you imagine if the thread starter had sold and the buyer wanted that transfer? Or you had only a few days left to transfer it out? Would a week of hassle still be ok? Not in my book.

•••
Look on wayback machine to see previous history as you will find last owner is still advertising most of the time.
Had the domain for many years, but GoDaddy was apparently parking it...and possibly getting some very decent ad revenue. Since I never joined their parking program, I'm not sure how much GD was getting. My curiosity was whether this may have been part of a reluctance of the registrar to part with the domain....:xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
Had the domain for many years, but GoDaddy was apparently parking it...and possibly getting some very decent ad revenue. Since I never joined their parking program, I'm not sure how much GD was getting. My curiosity was whether this may have been part of a reluctance of the registrar to part with the domain....:xf.wink:
If name lapses it will go to default servers whether it has gd ads or just domain for sale is a factor as need to set name servers i have domain parking at gd but never used it and isn't same as default.

•••
Seems like the transfer verification dept., sends a confirmation email, but no longer responds to your commands within the 5 days, really just hindering customers, or even if the case is to deny the transfer, nobody is reviewing it.

Last edited:
•••
I know Godaddy gets alot of hate in general, but a verification hold on your domain could very well be a good thing. Yes we want all the names to transfer out instantly, but if a thief got a hold of your account, atleast you know they could just transfer out your high value names.

•••
Seems like the transfer verification dept., sends a confirmation email, but no longer responds to your commands within the 5 days, really just hindering customers, or even if the case is to deny the transfer, nobody is reviewing it.
this is so weird Godaddy suppose to make good customer service.. I don't understand why nobody responding for 5 days, then what is the point of verification service. it's already 5 days transfer process without any verification.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back