Dynadot

question Can we sell .com names through NFT?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arjun Oli

AntiFiat.comTop Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Not directly, no.

However, I can think of few ways it can be implemented:
  1. If the registry ever implements it. i.e. considers the owner of a .com NFT as the owner of that .com
  2. If a set of registrars implement it like transfer/auth code. i.e. transfer of NFT is considered as transfer with auth code.
  3. If one or a set of domain owners are trusted to honour the ownership of NFT that represents a .com

For example, say I register example.com for 10 years and make an NFT out of it. And then I create a web3 API so that whoever owns the NFT, will be able to control the name server setup of the domain.

This can best be implemented by an open community, where the community will hold the .com and whenever someone owns the NFT of that .com, the open community will be trusted to honour that ownership and continue registering that .com in favour of that NFT.
As far as I know, no such implementation exists yet, however, as a developer, I know that similar implementations are definitely possible in the near future.

Last edited:
•••
Not directly, no.

1. If the registry ever implements it. i.e. considers the owner of a .com NFT as the owner of that .com
  2. If a set of registrars implement it like transfer/auth code. i.e. transfer of NFT is considered as transfer with auth code.
  3. If one or a set of domain owners are trusted to honour the ownership of NFT that represents a .com

For example, say I register example.com for 10 years and make an NFT out of it. And then I create a web3 API so that whoever owns the NFT, will be able to control the name server setup of the domain.

This can best be implemented by an open community, where the community will hold the .com and whenever someone owns the NFT of that .com, the open community will be trusted to honour that ownership and continue registering that .com in favour of that NFT.
As far as I know, no such implementation exists yet, however, as a developer, I know that similar implementations are definitely possible in the near future.

I love your explanation! Thanks for that, very insightful.

•••
Not directly, no.

Thanks for the info (y)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back