Dynadot

question Can I sell handreg domains less than 60 days after registration?

NameSilo
Watch

Paperhand

Established Member
Impact
Hello, I have registered some new domains recently and due to their timely character I would like them to be found as for sale as quickly as possible.

Registered via namecheap - can I put them on Afternoc or Sedo or should I wait for the 60days to pass?

Thanks for your replies, very much appreciated! I tried to find answers via the search function but could not get anything usable.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes, of course, you can put them for sale :) The 60-day ICANN lock is standard in this industry

•••
You’re right, my question was not precise. As far as I understand, I can put it for sale, but no transfer is possible, just a reservation? (Except in case it were at Godaddy)

I think that the perfect holder of this address will try to register them soon (not trademark related) - would you put them on afternic, sedo and others or wait it ou?

Sorry for the noob questions…

•••
Yes, of course. No worries at all. A transfer is still possible. However, it's called a push.

f.e. Transfer from one GoDaddy.com account to another GoDaddy.com.

These escrow companies have accounts at every domain registrar.
Dynadot namecheap etc

•••
It can't be transferred from one registrant to another

•••
It can't be transferred from one registrant to another
What do you mean?
It can't be transferred from one registrar to another.
However, it can be transferred from one registrant to another via Push at the current registrar.

•••
You can still list it for sale and you can still sell it through a place like Sedo or Afternic.

If the domain is registered at NameCheap and it's less than 60 days old, the buyer will need to create a NameCheap account and you will need to "push" it from your account to their account. This is free of charge, but the buyer MUST have a NameCheap account. If you were to sell a domain through someplace like Sedo, they would create a new NameCheap account, have you push it to that account, and then give that account (login details) to the buyer so they can go in and manage it.

If the domain is less than 60 days old it cannot be "transferred" which would mean moving it to another registrar. So, if you're emailing the buyer and not using a marketplace (such as Sedo) and the buyer says "I want it in my GoDaddy account" that won't be possible until the domain is at least 60 days old. Unlike a "push," a "transfer" comes with a 1 year registration cost (called a "renewal fee"). That's because once the domain is moved to the new registrar an additional year of registration will be automatically added onto it.

It's important to know and understand the difference. A "push" is free and moves the domain from one account to another at the same registrar. A "transfer" is not free and moves the domain from one registrar to another (while also adding on an additional year of registration). Hope this helps!

•••
Yes thanks for the great explanation. I am with namecheap and selling through Dan.com - is this an escrow company like the ones mentioned above by domainer 2030 that has an account at namecheap? Otherwise I had to transfer the buyer my new namecheap account manually, which would not be an escrow sale then.

•••
Yes thanks for the great explanation. I am with namecheap and selling through Dan.com - is this an escrow company like the ones mentioned above by domainer 2030 that has an account at namecheap? Otherwise I had to transfer the buyer my new namecheap account manually, which would not be an escrow sale then.
Dan.com is an Escrow company, so you will be completely safe using them (just like Sedo and Afternic)...If you sell the domain through Dan.com then they will walk you through it once the sale goes through. Just like Sedo and the others, if the name is less than 60 days old they'll go make an account, have you push it to that account, and then give those login details to the buyer. When using those marketplaces to sell your names just know you can list them when they're less than 60 days old. Everything else they will walk you through once a sale comes in.

•••
Perfect, thanks a lot for that assurance! :)

•••
Last edited:
•••
I'm not sure they are formally (still) that, although they have been using the term "escrow" in the past.
To be completely clear, they themselves might not be an "official" Escrow company. I don't know what all is involved with becoming an "official" Escrow company/service. But, if they aren't one then they use one. My basic point was that you're safe using DAN just like you are with Sedo and Afternic. Escrow is involved so you do not have to worry about chargebacks or anything with any of those marketplaces.

•••
To be completely clear, they themselves might not be an "official" Escrow company. I don't know what all is involved with becoming an "official" Escrow company/service. But, if they aren't one then they use one. My basic point was that you're safe using DAN just like you are with Sedo and Afternic. Escrow is involved so you do not have to worry about chargebacks or anything with any of those marketplaces.
The use of the term "escrow" carries additional obligations and consumer protection in certain jurisdictions. Some domain marketplaces are now quietly distancing themselves from the term "escrow" and calling it a (secure) "transfer service". Sedo as well. So no: escrow is not always involved.

Last edited:
•••
Great explanation. I have many newly registered domains for sale at Dan/Afternic/Sedo. I was concerned about the lock as well. I'm also curious about what information the buyers will see about the seller? For examplem: nickname, name, address, company name, etc.?

•••
Great explanation. I have many newly registered domains for sale at Dan/Afternic/Sedo. I was concerned about the lock as well. I'm also curious about what information the buyers will see about the seller? For examplem: nickname, name, address, company name, etc.?
To be honest, I can't remember off the top of my head what information Sedo and DAN show. I'm pretty sure it isn't your name (and almost positive that they don't show your address)...However, the buyer can probably see your username and domain portfolio (if they want). If it's the standard Afternic layout (not Afternic 2.0 BETA), then you can choose what to display on your seller profile here:
1. Login
2. Click "Account" on the left hand side, then "Account Details"
3. Scroll to the bottom of the page and find "Privacy"

This is where you can control what people will see on your profile. I would assume this is probably similar to what the buyer can see, but maybe someone here can confirm.

You can choose to hide things like your Domain Listings, Domain Listings Total, How Long You've Been a Member, Username, Avatar..etc..

•••
The use of the term "escrow" carries additional obligations and consumer protection in certain jurisdictions. Some domain marketplaces are now quietly distancing themselves from the term "escrow" and calling it a (secure) "transfer service". Sedo as well. So no: escrow is not always involved.

Let's reference the actual definition of the word "Escrow" in the dictionary. It say's...
1. a deed, a bond, money, or a piece of property held in trust by a third party to be turned over to the grantee only upon fulfillment of a condition
2. a fund or deposit designed to serve as an escrow

To me personally, this means whether you call it "Escrow" or "Secure Transfer Service" or anything else - it is essentially Escrow and it is indeed involved, no matter what they call it. The funds are sent to a third party who holds it and turns that money over once the domain transfer has been fulfilled. So, I would actually say the answer is YES, Escrow is ALWAYS involved with Sedo, Afternic and DAN. Whether it's a bank, investing firm or domain marketplace - the money is held by a third party and then released when all obligations are met. It's an escrow service no matter what the place wants to call it. Escrow is not a company - it's an actual word and it's used for many different things, from buying a house to buying a domain name.

Banks and other investing firms may have to submit paperwork or follow certain guidelines to handle/hold the money, and domain marketplaces might need to do the same (I don't know these rules because I'm not a banker). Some domains sell for the same price as a house, so in my opinion they should have to follow the same rules and guidelines. However, it also isn't that simple because many domain sales utilize Escrow but sell for hundreds of thousands less than a house would. Some of these marketplaces might be backing off from using the term because maybe some of what the banks need to follow in order to officially use the term "Escrow" is starting to make its way into the domain industry (I'm not sure and honestly have no idea)..but, whatever you (or they) want to call it, by definition it's Escrow.

Other companies have tried to operate in a grey areas by doing stuff like that in other industries (Offer something that is clearly defined, but then try to call it something else and think now you can get away without having to file the proper paperwork or follow the specific guidelines because you aren't calling it by it's definition) and that tends not to work out so well. You could probably find examples of this in many ponzi schemes, or even with something like the JUUL e-cig lawsuits.. They made commercials for years that blatantly targeted the youth. Sure, they would sit there all day and tell you their commercials weren't made for that purpose, but don't think the public doesn't know what you're trying to do. Those commercials cost that company over $460 million in lawsuits. They went to court and probably sat there trying to tell the judge their commercials weren't made to target younger adults, but everyone saw right through that. Maybe it's not the best example, but my point is that if a company offers what is clearly defined as "Escrow" and wants to call it something else for the purpose of getting around any yellow tape that's involved with being able to officially call yourself an Escrow service, then they might be in for some trouble. If I decide to start selling drugs tomorrow (which I'm not and would never advise anyone to do), but I call it "fun powder" instead because that's what I "classify" it as, do you think the cops are going to let me go when they find them?

Last edited:
•••
•••

Great share! I got to learn something new today :)

So it looks like they do have to become licensed agents now. All I can say is, I hope those companies thinking they are going to call it "Secure Domain Transfer" to avoid doing/paying what is necessary to get licensed should be careful. They can call it whatever they want, but they better get licensed if they are doing what is defined as Escrow. At least, that's my personal opinion. Then again, I have no law degree and I'm not a lawyer in any sense of the word, lol... Excellent share @Future Sensors and I hope these companies all get licensed. It's better for us (the sellers) and the buyers as well!

•••
To be honest, I can't remember off the top of my head what information Sedo and DAN show. I'm pretty sure it isn't your name (and almost positive that they don't show your address)...However, the buyer can probably see your username and domain portfolio (if they want). If it's the standard Afternic layout (not Afternic 2.0 BETA), then you can choose what to display on your seller profile here:
1. Login
2. Click "Account" on the left hand side, then "Account Details"
3. Scroll to the bottom of the page and find "Privacy"

This is where you can control what people will see on your profile. I would assume this is probably similar to what the buyer can see, but maybe someone here can confirm.

You can choose to hide things like your Domain Listings, Domain Listings Total, How Long You've Been a Member, Username, Avatar..etc..
Thanks for the reply! Btw, Dan.com told me they buyer will see your name from "About You", unless you put a company name and then they will see that. They will also see the billing address from the payout section.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back