Dynadot

opinion Can I sell domains to Universities?

NameSilo
Watch

Francis AHLE

Established Member
Impact
Hey! I have a french single word domain Sociologue.org which means "Sociologist". I want to sell it via outbound marketing and I'm currently targeting universities. Do you think this strategy is good?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Outbound marketing is usually disappointing. Toughest part with large organizations is getting to the right decision maker involved or someone that can pitch the idea to the decision maker.

If their info in the Whois, that would be the email to try first.

Good luck!

•••
Not really. Outbound is hard enough as is, nevermind dealing with a university that likely has no budget for domain names and is going to be impossible to reach decision makers.

Brad

•••
I tried outbounding a couple names to private sector, it's a crap shoot hearing from them. I can't imagine it's not even more slim trying to sell to public sector. Best of luck with your efforts.

•••
There may be individual academics/sociologists at universities with interest, but finding them would be very challenging. IMO, reaching out to (French) academic societies, publishers, associations etc. could be more fruitful.
I did make a sale to Emory University years ago, and have sold names to State Governments (sold PureMichigan dot com) but that was a lot of work. Takes a lot of work and ingenuity and not having big expectations. Good luck in whatever path you take!

•••
Hi

it's much better, if you had a word that would draw interest, from a wider audience.
then the possibility of someone "contacting you" would be greater.

when you post a domain, then have to "translate" it's meaning
and then the meaning isn't a highly sought keyword or in the "commercial" category...
then the likelihood of interest from a Customer Service rep, who might read your letter, would probably send it to junk folder.

about a decade ago, i sold a domain on sedo, which was purchased by a university.
qe.org

perhaps try:
http://www.sociologue.fr/

imo...

Last edited:
•••
Outbound marketing is usually disappointing. Toughest part with large organizations is getting to the right decision maker involved or someone that can pitch the idea to the decision maker.

If their info in the Whois, that would be the email to try first.

Good luck!
Thanks a lot!

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back