IT.COM

Can cheap hosting be quality hosting?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

novelty

Account Closed
Impact
The topic is in the title, I just wanted to know if the so called affordable, or cheap hosting can be quality? I'm talking about the basic features of the package, decent uptime (at least 99,5%) and sensitive support. If you are using cheap hosting services of 1&1.com, webhostingbuzz.com or the like companies, please, share your experience.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Woohoo! I agree with you Cicero, but then again not all cheap host provides good support ;)

•••
BB Special Hosting Packages
offer valid till 5th November, 2007

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BB Special (Unix) = USD 9.99/year

200 MB Web Space, 1 GB Data Transfer Per Month, 2 POP3 Email Accounts (SPAM Free Accounts), WebMail Support, WAP Enabled, Unix Server, PHP, Perl, 1 mySql Database, Your Own Control Panel

No Setup Fee - No Hidden Charges - No Other Charges

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BB Special (Windows) = USD 9.99/year

200 MB Web Space, 1 GB Data Transfer Per Month, 2 POP3 Email Accounts (SPAM Free Accounts), WebMail Support, WAP Enabled, Windows 2003 Server, ASP, PHP, Perl, MS Access Databases, 1 mySql Database, Your Own Control Panel

No Setup Fee - No Hidden Charges - No Other Charges

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Business Hosting Packages and Managed Dedicated Servers are Also Available

for further details contact us at

Tel : +92-21-7625067 Cellular : +92-344-2027736 Web : www.brownboy.pk
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

•••
straight answer is YES, cheap hosting can be quality hosting. to some some extent you can say no due to lack of support or lots of down time.

why cheap ?
may be due to some promotional activity.
may be to cover the cost of expenses.
may be just to make good name.
may be to cover sales targets.

•••
some info and about Mosso.com hosting...

Domainator said:
Check out Mosso.com....there is a difference between wannabees and the real mccoy...just my 2 cents....still doing my due diligence for a customer but have found this to be very true--most small hosts are bullshit artisits.....you get what you pay for just like most things in life...

Yeah Domainator.... you are right...
For example there is this host called hostgator.com. They offer huge hosting spaces for shared hosting accounts... but then I deceided to go through the Terms of Services agreement. I founf one point. It read that there was a maximum file limit of 50000. Which mans even if I get a 300gb shared hosting account. I can upload only a maximum of 50000 files... Now thats ridiculous, because if I upload 50000 images of 5 kb each then I will end up filling only 250Mb!! Now I think they have founf an easy way of tricking their customers...
:)

I needed shared hosting and I approached RackSpace... I did this because I heard that Youtube was once their customer... But when I had a chat with the sales person I was informed that they offered only dedicated servers....
The sales person directed me to Mosso.com for shared hosting...
She also told me that RackSpace was an investor in Mosso.

So thats a bit of info for you guys...

Last edited:
•••
leusmith said:
Yeah Domainator.... you are right...
For example there is this host called hostgator.com. They offer huge hosting spaces for shared hosting accounts... but then I deceided to go through the Terms of Services agreement. I founf one point. It read that there was a maximum file limit of 50000. Which mans even if I get a 300gb shared hosting account. I can upload only a maximum of 50000 files... Now thats ridiculous, because if I upload 50000 images of 5 kb each then I will end up filling only 250Mb!! Now I think they have founf an easy way of tricking their customers...
:)

I needed shared hosting and I approached RackSpace... I did this because I heard that Youtube was once their customer... But when I had a chat with the sales person I was informed that they offered only dedicated servers....
The sales person directed me to Mosso.com for shared hosting...
She also told me that RackSpace was an investor in Mosso.

So thats a bit of info for you guys...

wow
if your site even needs 50,000 files, then maybe you should have your own dedicated server. No one in the real world would probably ever need that many files on their simple webhosting account.

I say simple, because no advanced website would be using shared hosting.

50,000 is alot of files. Might not sound like alot, but it is.

•••
•••
Yeah, rackspace is an investor of Mosso. It's on Mosso's website. Also, cheap hosting can definitely be quality hosting. You just need to find a good responsible host, who doesn't do extreme overselling (IE 1000GB of diskspace, 10000GB bandwidth for $1 per month).

•••
Depends if your hosting a web site that keeps your livelihood, or a family photo site.

Mission critical? Go for clustered hosting
Photo site? A cheap host would be fine

•••
Semi-dedicated might be cheaper than a clustered solution.
I see the thread is going on, and my conclusion from all that has been written above, is that you can choose a cheap package if you have a very precise idea of what your needs are and why the particular hosting company charges this for a plan.
The companies I mentioned in my initial post 1and1.com and webhostingbuzz.com manage to sell 750 GB of disk space, and the pricing is budget, around $3.95. So what does a person looking to host a smaller website thinks about it? The price is cheap and the amount of space is immense, so will a person go to a different company with BIGGER price and SMALLER space?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back