NameSilo

Buying the domain name of dead #1 ProductHunt products, novel idea or shit?

Labeled as opinion in Domain Buying and Selling Discussion, started by Crock, Feb 25, 2021

Replies:
Views:

?

Do you like Product Hunt?

Poll closed Mar 4, 2021.
  1. yes

2 votes
    66.7%
  2. no

1 vote
    33.3%
Total: 3 vote(s)
  1. Crock

Crock Software Engineer Gold Account

This idea just came to me tonight when I was searching for new ways to find apartments since I'm going to be moving next month and I don't really like Zillow.

One of my favorite sites in the entire world is ProductHunt. Came across this product called RentHacker on ProductHunt and apparently, it was #1 product of the day in 2014, but it's a dead link now. The Product Hunt page links to a HugeDomains lander.

I can imagine dead product hunt products that were awarded product of the day at one point in time get lots of traffic still. Any way to verify this?

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. NickB

NickB Wales.org VIP

Renthackr stats according to Ahrefs....

Domain Rating 18
    Backlinks 940 - 81% dofollow
    Referring Domains - 201 - 79% dofollow

Looks like it gets some monthly traffic

3. Crock

You think there's any merit in buying the domain name of dead ProductHunt products that were awarded #1 product of the day badges in the past?

4. NickB

NickB Wales.org VIP

Depends what you want to do with it....

Resale? Depends on the domain

Development? Depends on the backlink profile and other SEO metrics...

Not really sure 😕 would be interesting to see if any have sold in the past and how many others are listed for sale...

5. Crock

On a similar note, buying the domain names linked in old tweets by verified users and celebrities could also be worth it.

6. Grilled

Grilled Hi and Welcome ALL Domain Registrar CEOs VIP

That reminds me of the HRC.io 🤦‍♀️ see more below 👇

https://www.namepros.com/threads/hillary-clinton-using-io-domain-name-hrc-io.976471/#post-7053845

tldr: HRC.io was used for the Hillary Clinton presidential campaign, used as a URL shortener for many tweets. Domain expired, dropped, caught, and eventually was listed on Flippa.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  7. Crock

There was a Trump tweet from 2012 that was hijacked when it dropped and re-directed to a funny parody video with Russian music. I was shocked his social media team never noticed.

8. Grilled

Grilled Hi and Welcome ALL Domain Registrar CEOs VIP

https://www.theverge.com/2017/2/3/14495978/belgian-hacker-trump-twitter-links

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  9. domainflipper1000

domainflipper1000 Established Member

Not a bad idea. Assuming there's some sort of practical and relevant reuse potential.

10. CraigD

CraigD Top Contributor VIP

What happens if that popular celebrity becomes the target of the social-media hate brigade? Will the mob turn on products that they previously promoted?

I've witnessed some downright frightening backlash recently.

I'm not saying you have a bad idea, but it's not really relevant targeted traffic.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
biix
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice