IT.COM

question Buyer will pay with credit card $19,000

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hello , i have sold a domain , the buyer ask me for pay it with credit card 19,000

What escrow service allow to pay with credit card this amount ?

i have open a escrow.com transaction but buyer not like it.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Surely they can pay 19k into their own bank account from the card then wire it through an escrow service.
That would count as a cash advance, more fees for buyer to themselves, no points.

Just like seller is trying to protect themselves, buyer maybe trying to do the same.

Many people expense everything they can to CC, it is just accepted everywhere, hard to explain to people outside the industry.

Even if you want to buy a car, the dealer can take X amount via credit card, but anything over that amount they usually charge you 3% for their cc processing charges.

Last edited:
•••
+3% additional fee at Payoneer if CC-payment, for Seller.

Last edited:
•••
•••
That would count as a cash advance, more fees for buyer to themselves, no points.

Just like seller is trying to protect themselves, buyer maybe trying to do the same.

Many people expense everything they can to CC, it is just accepted everywhere, hard to explain to people outside the industry.

Even if you want to buy a car, the dealer can take X amount via credit card, but anything over that amount they usually charge you 3% for their cc processing charges.
Yeah I can understand the buyer want to protect themselves too. I don't know about anywhere else but here in the UK, if you buy something for say 5K, you only need to pay 1 pound of it on a credit card and the whole 5K is covered against fraud and theft etc.

•••
the buyer have buy domain in buy now on 27 jan on GD , have accepted escrow payment but not have pay it .
I have this domain sold in gd account with escrow parties accepted , escrow status is the buyer not have select a payment method.
I have write the buyer 3-4 time and only yesterday have reply me , the buyer write : Yes i want buy it but with credit card.

I have received a direct email , this is my ultimate chance for close the sale , i have setup a invoice with cc payment enable and sent to buyer.

I have video stories where people have more money and 19k is a very cheap payment .
People that have 25-30 years that buy 10 champagne bottles in a night for $400 each .

I think this guys have family cc , and can buy all you want with no control.

If a guy like to buy a expensive domain , you like to pay it with cc .

This can be one of reason that the buyer ask me for pay it with cc.

if you're saying buyer bought it on gd auctions... which I think you did.. then you're not really expected to prepare or send invoices.. nor its necessary to talk by email with him.. you just sit back relax and let gd auctions handle payments and everything else. it's why your paying 20% to them. they also guarantee money in case of chargebacks etc.. partly cause they're registrar, and can recover the locked domain in case of payment issues... this is why its always great to deal with escrow trhat's also registrar.

I would not recommend you try to sell this on your own, if its already sitting as sold in your gd auctions sold section. in fact, it'll be a very bad idea for you to do.

gl

Last edited:
•••
if you're saying buyer bought it on gd auctions... which I think you did.. then you're not really expected to prepare or send invoices.. nor its necessary to talk by email with him.. you just sit back relax and let gd auctions handle payments and everything else. it's why your paying 20% to them. they also guarantee money in case of chargebacks etc.. partly cause they're registrar, and can recover the locked domain in case of payment issues... this is why its always great to deal with escrow trhat's also registrar.

I would not recommend you try to sell this on your own, if its already sitting as sold in your gd auctions sold section. in fact, it'll be a very bad idea for you to do.

gl

Godaddy would sent it to escrow

•••

Last edited:
•••
Read the thread; seller is saying its been sitting in Escrow with no buyer response.

So he took matters in his own hands. I commend that. But would never accept cc payment. Not unless the name is worthless to everyone else.

•••
Read the thread; seller is saying its been sitting in Escrow with no buyer response.

So he took matters in his own hands. I commend that. But would never accept cc payment. Not unless the name is worthless to everyone else.

Well he could accept credit card payment, if he had legal agreements in place, and notarized purchase depending on what countries they are working out of.

Lots of work, my guess buyer just wants to charge it to his card, and not worry about it until next month, many business owners use credit cards as lines of credit.

•••
Sounds very scammy to me....

$19k on a credit card means:

1. It's a scam.
2. It's stolen
3. it's bullshit

Somone who has the ability to pay $19k on a credit card 100% has other means of paying also.

This sounded off from the $19k buy it now from Godaddy.

Smells very fishy....

Tread carefully.

Last edited:
•••
Sounds very scammy to me....

$19k on a credit card means:

1. It's a scam.
2. It's stolen
3. it's bullsh*t

Somone who has the ability to pay $19k on a credit card 100% has other means of paying also.

This sounded off from the $19k buy it now from Godaddy.

Smells very fishy....

Tread carefully.
I don't think it is entirely a scam, depends where the buyer is from.

If I had the option when purchasing a domain, I would like to charge it to my credit card, I would get points, I would get a month extra to submit payment, and I would get security assurances that my card grants.

You have to put yourself into a newbie mindset, whereas most businesses accept credit cards from vendors.

We just don't know the facts, so it's the sellers problem, and their reward at the same time.

•••
19k is very risky by credit card imo if you value your domain use a escrow service and make him pay by wire.

Last edited:
•••

gl

i have call gd , gd support have only sent a reminder and not can do any if the buyer not pay domain.

i have chat with escrow.com and the service rule are : the buyer have 30 calendar days for select a payment method and others 30 days for make the payment.

The domain was sold in 27 january at godaddy market not at godaddy auctions , if i not make any , the transaction is death , escrow cancel the transaction and good bye.

for me is important to close the transaction and i have interest in continue the transaction with the buyer that (i don't know why ) can only pay with CC.

•••
Not sure why you insist to use escrow if you are the seller. The person taking the risk is the buyer, not the seller. As long as you receive the funds first, then you authorise the transfer, what is your risk?

Charge back is the risk.

•••
yes , charge back , i have ask at support how many time the buyer if can request charge back after have make the payment.
In any case , i can will await the money in my bank account for send the domain.
The buyer need await some days for have the domain pushed.

•••
'
a5c6b7edf3b3567a29e215e231035a58a49aec2f8003d085656521dc544c4de1.jpg

•••
yes , charge back , i have ask at support how many time the buyer if can request charge back after have make the payment.
In any case , i can will await the money in my bank account for send the domain.
The buyer need await some days for have the domain pushed.

Too many red flags with this. You may have to consider walking away from the sale. I know that is going to hurt but if you think about it, that pain will be tiny compared to the possibility of losing your domain AND the $19,000 due to a credit card charge-back.

If you're dead set on making this sale go through then CC is a large risk to take. If you are OK with it then proceed via the method you described with stripe - if you can set that up.

For me, its wire transfer via an escrow service, a broker, or an attorney or else no deal. No credit cards, no paypal - never. I want the best financial transaction protection and I will pay for that if I have to, and you most always have to.

(I see that there are companies/services out there designed to eliminate charge-back fraud, but I havent looked into these. I would they they'd want some sort of volume of sales per month which I can not provide. I may look into these, you may want to as well for this.)

•••
the buyer have buy domain in buy now on 27 jan on GD , have accepted escrow payment but not have pay it .
I have this domain sold in gd account with escrow parties accepted , escrow status is the buyer not have select a payment method.
I have write the buyer 3-4 time and only yesterday have reply me , the buyer write : Yes i want buy it but with credit card.

I have received a direct email , this is my ultimate chance for close the sale , i have setup a invoice with cc payment enable and sent to buyer.

I have video stories where people have more money and 19k is a very cheap payment .
People that have 25-30 years that buy 10 champagne bottles in a night for $400 each .

I think this guys have family cc , and can buy all you want with no control.

If a guy like to buy a expensive domain , you like to pay it with cc .

This can be one of reason that the buyer ask me for pay it with cc.

I would explain to the buyer that spending $19k on a credit card purchase is a tad difficult do because of the amount itself, and the risk of a chargeback. . I'd say, why can't they borrow the money on the credit card and pay that into their bank and wire the money to Escrow.com, and you'll take care of all the escrow fees. Else I don't see this transaction ever completing.

•••
Charge back is the risk.
So if they pay using their credit card and execute the transaction via escrow, does that mean that the buyer cannot do a chargeback?

Last edited:
•••
This is not always a red flag. I have charged many things with a credit card around that ballpark figure. I like getting some reward points back. Including a couple of domain names at Godaddy above 15k. Every little bit helps for the vacation travel!

If it sounds too good to be true...

Put yourself in the shoes of an average buyer - would you want to pay someone $19,000 before they transfer you a domain? Have they asked about who you are, where you are based etc.? If you were in their shoes would you send $19K to some random domain owner on the other side of the world rather than use a secure escrow service?

The fact they want to pay this amount by credit card should flag some serious suspicions, and may show they have no regard for these funds. If so, why might that be? The reason no escrow company will accept such a large payment via CC is because of the very heightened risk of fraud.

•••
This is not always a red flag. I have charged many things with a credit card around that ballpark figure. I like getting some reward points back. Including a couple of domain names at Godaddy above 15k. Every little bit helps for the vacation travel!
True.

$19K worth of reward points is a great incentive to use CC.

•••
I've heard that some escrow services offer the payment plans - maybe it is possible to split the payment so that each fraction doesn't exceed the CC payment limit? Haven't tried myself, but could be worth to ask them...

Last edited:
•••
i have call gd , gd support have only sent a reminder and not can do any if the buyer not pay domain.

i have chat with escrow.com and the service rule are : the buyer have 30 calendar days for select a payment method and others 30 days for make the payment.

The domain was sold in 27 january at godaddy market not at godaddy auctions , if i not make any , the transaction is death , escrow cancel the transaction and good bye.

for me is important to close the transaction and i have interest in continue the transaction with the buyer that (i don't know why ) can only pay with CC.
Well if it is via escrow the buyer still has to complete full id verification, to add insult to injury.

•••
For me, to pay $19k by CC is very risky. One of the worrying issues is that a lot of stolen credit cards abound. If buyer is chasing for reward points, I can just say to let him take $1k from that amount and just pay me $18k as long as the transaction is done via escrow. Security for both parties is what matters most.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back