Dynadot

Buyer Beware with GoDaddy coupons - current scam

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Joe Styler

Aftermarket Product ManagerTop Member
GoDaddy Staff
Impact
I wanted to point out something that has been more and more commonplace on NamePros in hopes of helping protect domain buyers. Here's what has been happening:

Someone on NamePros posts or advertises in their signature that they can register domains for you at GoDaddy cheaply, say for $3.99 or so per .com. Or they offer to register it for you for less than the price of normal registration which with the Domain Discount Club is currently, $8.47. You pay them directly and they register the domain name for you and then push it to your account. Everything seems great until a few days later our fraud department repossesses the domain name from your account and you cannot get the domain name back or your money back from the people who offered to buy you the domain for less than cost. This is if you even get the domain name in the first place.

I have been getting privately contacted by several people concerned about this exact issue lately who have had bad results when trying this in one way or another.

Basically what is happening is people are abusing coupons we offer for brand new customers. They are meant to help someone get their new business off the ground for the first year and made to only be used once per new account. There are several ways people are trying to abuse them and they are monitored and stopped up front in most cases, which would result in you paying someone less than the registration price, them not being able to get you the domain because we catch them trying to misuse the coupons and them just keeping your money.

The other way where they slip under the radar and actually register a new domain name cheaply and move it to you winds up with them being caught after the fact in which case we repossess the domain name they misused the coupon for. When this happens the person you paid to register the domain name has to contact us and clear things up and they would have to refund you the money you paid them since you never paid us we do not have your money. The reason I am being contacted is because obviously the person taking your money is not going to give it back to you when the domain name is taken out of your account.

Bottom line is this is against our rules of the coupon use and we do not want anyone to unknowingly be taken advantage of by someone misusing the coupons. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Those who bought already, is there any solution to save their domains??

Luckily, i did not buy any.:D

I'm also curious about this - I was on the fence about using their services.

•••
I am using domain club, and it has been a very good for me..

•••
Those who bought already, is there any solution to save their domains??

Luckily, i did not buy any.:D
You can follow up with the team that emails you from GoDaddy and see if you can work it out with them. They look at each case individually.

•••
Though the thread was started for creating awareness of a scamster. it inadvertently led into marketing the GD Domain Club. And now I am eager to become a part of it. @Joe Styler just one have one thing to say: Great Marketing strategy.;)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back