IT.COM

BringLove.com for $3,595 or Bring.Love for $30,000

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

BringLove.com for $3,595 or Bring.Love for $30,000 - Which One For Your Business?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have an (18) letter .COM pending sale for almost $30K. Let me know when a new extension can do that.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Well, that is your opinion. What is fact though is there is still vastly more money in. COM than new gTLD, especially when it comes to resale. It is not even close.

I am not a .COM snob. I probably own about 30% non .COM, but that is just how the world is.
You are the one who needs a paradigm shift that is not happening after years.

For every website that launches on a new gTLD, more will launch on a .COM.

I own DataCube.com, tell me which other extensions I really need. None.

I do own a few for brand protection, but they are not really needed. The truth is the vast majority of end users are fine with .COM and nothing else.

Brad
Well, Brad, in your particular case Data Cube / com, .com is really enough, I agree. This is mainly because we do not have .cube extension (yet), and in addition, because your brand is not generic, commonly used semantic string.

To explain it more, if .cube extension would be in existence, someone would be able to register Data / Cube. In which case I think you still would be able to get Data / Cube via UDRP or legal process, as this string is not something which is a generic, commonly used term - it is more kind of a nice brandable. so if you would have TM for it (this is a condition), I think you would have some good chances to win over Data / Cube owner.

Now, imagine your brand is a generic, commonly used term in the English language, Word1Word2.com. And you have a TM for it. In case someone would register Word1.Word2 alternative to your brand. and your .com domain name, you would NOT be able to get that domain via UDRP or legal process. The reason is that it is a generic, commonly used term (generic, commonly used term, in the sense which is in more detail, explained in latest Booking.com USA Supreme court decision). So if your brand is in this category, you, as a brand owner and business owner MUST get your word1.word2 alternative asap, otherwise, your business would suffer from something that is called "domain keyword equity spill" (aka misdirected online traffic) if another business will get it.

I am writing an article atm about the "domain keyword equity spill", and will publish it soon. But this is the reason why in some cases, you really need to get also word1.word2 version of your word1word2.com domain /brand, as in this case having only .com is NOT enough.

And that is the message which is beneficial for business owners if they do not want to spill they brand/keyword equity all over to internet towards their competitors.

•••
I have an (18) letter .COM pending sale for almost $30K. Let me know when a new extension can do that.

Brad
Brad, there are reported sales of top quality word1.word names for over $500 000 at the moment of writing (and not all of those top sales are registry sales, as you know), and we are just at the beginning of new gTLD adoption. which is already very good (especially by big global companies). From this perspective, your 30k is a very nice sale, but nothing so impressive.

•••
Brad, there are reported sales of top quality word1.word names for over $500 000 at the moment of writing (and not all of those top sales are registry sales, as you know), and we are just at the beginning of new gTLD adoption. which is already very good (especially by big global companies). From this perspective, your 30k is a very nice sale, but nothing so impressive.

There are 119 total new gTLD reported sales over $30K. Only (2) in 2020. Only (5) in 2019.
Not real impressive. Many of these extensions have been around for many years now.

New gTLD -
119 Total Sales
$10.1m Dollar Volume

.COM -
4,216 Total Sales
$748m Dollar Volume

My point is a sale in that range for a new extension is a major outlier. It is not for .COM.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
There are 119 total new gTLD reported sales over $30K. Only (2) in 2020. Only (5) in 2019.
Not real impressive. Many of these extensions have been around for many years now.

New gTLD -
119 Total Sales
$10.1m Dollar Volume

.COM -
4,216 Total Sales
$748m Dollar Volume

My point is a sale in that range for a new extension is a major outlier. It is not for .COM.

Brad
You have to wait for more mega new gTLD sales: it also took .com domains 30 years to achieve some numbers, and you know it :) You did not have those numbers 5 or 6 years since .com started. With new gTLDs, this is just the very beginning.

One thing is for sure: although many domainers with large .com portfolios were really rooting so much for "new gTLDs are dead" outcome, big global companies do not care at all about domainers. They are rapidly adopting new gTLDs. Think of blockchain and crypto space for example: many major companies are now using new gTLDs, for example Block.One, Chain.Link, Tron.Network, and it goes on and on...

This very much accelerates general public adoption of new gTLDs.

•••
You have to wait for more mega new gTLD sales: it also took .com domains 30 years to achieve some numbers, and you know it :) You did not have those numbers 5 or 6 years since .com started. With new gTLDs, this is just the very beginning.

One thing is for sure: although many domainers with large .com portfolios were really rooting so much for "new gTLDs are dead" outcome, big global companies do not care at all about domainers. They are rapidly adopting new gTLDs. Think of blockchain and crypto space for example: many major companies are now using new gTLDs, for example Block.One, Chain.Link, Tron.Network, and it goes on and on...

This very much accelerates general public adoption of new gTLDs.

It is the kick the can down the road argument.

There was certainly no paradigm shift like these were hyped to be.
It is not like new extensions are really gaining any traction when it comes to resale either.

2019 -
(219) $30K+ .COM sales
(6) $30K+ new gTLD sales

2020 -
(126) $30K+ .COM sales
(2) $30K+ new gTLD sales

I really fail to see all this supposed traction and demand. The resale numbers are not showing it.
As time goes on the resale gap is getting bigger, not smaller.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
The truth of the matter is that although New gTLDs are becoming a viable choice for some businesses who only need one or two domains, but it is very difficult for the average domainer to find and to maintain a large portfolio of New gTLDs for the many more years that it's going to take to have widespread adaption for them.

For this reason although I like New gTLDs myself, but I only am able to keep a very small number of domains. The only people who can invest seriously in New gTLDs and hold on to them on a long term basis are the Registries themselves who own most of the better quality domains.

I wish I had my own New gTLD registry for a popular extension. :xf.wink:

IMO

•••
All you said is just want to escape from the fact that they spent $200,000 to buy and use Shop(.app) and let Shop/App(.com) be unused. $200,000 is a large amount that may need approval from the top executives (CFO/CTO/CMO) in Shopify. Do you think the top executives approved such deal emotionally without a reasonable reason? You should face the fact and think about why Shopify did so.
Perhaps you're making some bad domaining choices and trying so hard to justify it to yourself. The truth is that Shopify can afford to run their App business on ShopApp.com without minding Shop.App but they can't afford to run on only Shop.App without minding the .com. Once .com is secured for redirection, a business can do anything with .anything.

•••
discussing new gTLDs with some legacy domainers here feels to me like this :)

•••
Perhaps you're making some bad domaining choices and trying so hard to justify it to yourself. The truth is that Shopify can afford to run their App business on ShopApp.com without minding Shop.App but they can't afford to run on only Shop.App without minding the .com. Once .com is secured for redirection, a business can do anything with .anything.

You should directly visit Shop(.app) and Shop/App(.com) to find the real truth. You are telling something that is totally opposite to the truth. The truth is that Shopify is using the .app actively and the .com they own is unused, so they mind the .app very much, much more than the .com. Redirection is very easy to be made but they don't do any redirection on the .com even though they have owned the .com for a long time (https://www.whois.com/whois/shopapp.com). You should think the reason behind it instead of creating a false truth to mislead others and to make yourself feel better.

What is more, your first sentence is very bad because the Shopify case is nothing related to my domaining. I just used Shop(.app) and Shop/App(.com) as an example of domain names for real business use. What's wrong with you? Trying to attack me and creating a false truth because you're making some bad domaining choices and trying so hard to justify it to yourself?

Face the truth, and learn more about the business world and operation in large companies. This can help your domaining.

•••
discussing new gTLDs with some legacy domainers here feels to me like this :)

Good that you know you're fighting a losing battle.

You should be tired of your .Internationals by now. Or still going strong?

•••
even though they have owned the .com
That's what matters. They own the .com before anything else, it doesn't matter whether they are using it now or not.

It makes a lot of sense to run the Apps on Shop.App, provided they've secured ShopApp.com.

What is more, your first sentence is very bad because the Shopify case is nothing related to my domaining.

Im not attacking you. Just trying to point out that your argument is the product of your thought process. And if such thinking is what guides your domaining Investment, you're probably making some bad choices, except you think differently and invest differently. You're telling everyone who cares to listen that .com doesn't matter much for business people, that businesses are now moving away from .com and switching to .anything else. That is not true. It has never been, and probably may never be in the near future.

Every good Domainer thinks the way business people think. And the way business people think is that .com is king and can never do without it.

Face the truth, and learn more about the business world and operation in large companies. This can help your domaining.

Probably I should be the one telling you this. I am a business man first, and domainer second.

•••
Good that you know you're fighting a losing battle.

You should be tired of your .Internationals by now. Or still going strong?
@dande that reply was a little snappy. Watch the whole video, it's entertaining - and it has nothing to do with losing battle, not even slightest. I am not in any battle, and nor should be you or anyone else. I am just explaining the advantages of new gTLDs, in a thread that was created by someone who has already missed good old new gTLD vs.com debate :)

•••
@dande that reply was a little snappy. Watch the whole video, it's entertaining - and it has nothing to do with losing battle, not even slightest. I am not in any battle, and nor should be you or anyone else. I am just explaining the advantages of new gTLDs, in a thread that was created by someone who has already missed good old new gTLD vs.com debate :)
Yeah, the video is very entertaining. I think I've watched the full Documentary on NatGoeWild or something. I thought you were highlight the odds against ngtlds. So when I say you were in a losing battle, I don't mean you as individual, I mean the believers in newGTLDs

Last edited:
•••
That's what matters. They own the .com before anything else, it doesn't matter whether they are using it now or not.

It makes a lot of sense to run the Apps on Shop.App, provided they've secured ShopApp.com.

Im not attacking you. Just trying to point out that your argument is the product of your thought process. And if such thinking is what guides your domaining Investment, you're probably making some bad choices, except you think differently and invest differently. You're telling everyone who cares to listen that .com doesn't matter much for business people, that businesses are now moving away from .com and switching to .anything else. That is not true. It has never been, and probably may never be in the near future.

Every good Domainer thinks the way business people think. And the way business people think is that .com is king and can never do without it.

Probably I should be the one telling you this. I am a business man first, and domainer second.
"business people think is that .com is king and can never do without it." - I have never ever heard say anyone outside domaining bubble to say ".com is the king"...this is only something what Good Domainers are saying :)

Apart from that, no one here is denying the obvious fact that .com will still be with us and still will be very important in the foreseeable future. What some of us are trying to convey is the fact that in parallel to .com, many big global businesses are now opting for new gTLDs - and you, a Good Domainer should be aware of that fact, that's it.

•••
What some of us are trying to convey is the fact that in parallel to .com, many big global businesses are now opting for new gTLDs - and you, a Good Domainer should be aware of that fact, that's it.
That's the problem. What you're trying to convey is not happening.

•••
each domain buyer's situation is different. It's quite tough to give an individualized opinion especially when you don't know much about the person seeking the opinion.
In this post bring.love for 30k and bringlove(com) for 3595 - the obvious answers will be to go with dot com because in this case it's cheaper and is quite well-known extension.

•••
Within the crypto space there is notable tribalism -long-term investors in Bitcoin being critical of anything other than bitcoin while long-term investors in Ethereum are critical of any competing blockchain which is faster than Ethereum but does not have as large of a developer community or nearly as many apps built on that platform because it is newer. There are valid reasons to not put 100% of one's investment in a new project with no track record and which has a higher probability of failure. On the other hand there is a potentially greater return on new projects which have much smaller market caps and require less capital to push prices higher.

Are all alternative extension investments a waste of money? Collectively, alternative extensions have a poor track record at an investor portfolio level. Even before the newer extensions registries would headline some high-profile sale of that new extension to lure investors in. Years later, how often do we hear of six-figure ..ME, .XXX and .MOBI sales? Again there are a few Michael Jordan equivalents in this new TLD space but 99% of investors will never achieve the same results. The fact that startups rarely pay for aftermarket domains is nothing new. Now they have more options to avoid paying above $50 for their domain. But when they grow up will they continue to brand on a .IO or a .Network?

•••
On the other hand there is a potentially greater return on new projects which have much smaller market caps and require less capital to push prices higher.
Another huge problem with newGTLDs. They're less popular, has less market caps, but requires more capital to keep and maintain.

Last edited:
•••

You are now supporting my point that it makes a lot of sense to use the .app and the .app is more suitable than the .com in the Shopify case. Glad to see you face the truth and change your mind.

You misunderstand my point. I never deny .com and I acknowledge that .com is still the major extension nowadays. Majority of my invested domains are .com and minority are .net and new gTLDs. Because I think differently and open-minded, my portfolio is a diverse portfolio, which is unlike someone that only invest in .com and resist new gTLDs.

More businesses are using new gTLDs or ccTLDs (including .ai and .io). Besides the Shopify case, please also look into Open(.money), Smart(.bio), Realty(.app) and Radio(.cloud) that do not use .com (even not used for redirection). Also please read an article about domain extensions used among startups. (https://www.namepros.com/blog/domain-data-just-66-of-ycombinators-class-of-2018-use-com.1119027/). You will know you have missed a very important truth that some businesses are now moving away from .com and switching to .anything else. There is already a gap between your thinking and other business owners' thinking.

What's more, don't be so sure about the future. No one knows about the future. Everything can be possible in the future. .Com may or may not be the king in the future. If you are so sure about the future, it shows that your argument is just full of your hope or belief that is subjective.

I have seen many people (including you) in this forum saying they are business men, but none of them provide proof. No proof, no trust.

Final words: I have seen your opinions full of personal belief that want to represent all business owners in the world, which is arrogant in my view because there are real business cases that already violate your belief. Also, if you want to support your opinion, please use real cases and credible statistics. They can make your arguments more valid.

•••
Well, I think the TM point is moot, especially after the supreme court ruling. I don't really think there is any plus or minus for new extensions there.

It works the other way also. If you develop a new extension where a .COM exists, it is your who might run into TM issues.

The same potential TM issues apply to all extensions.

Brad

Hi Brad - can you refer me to the Supreme Court ruling? Keen to learn more.

The reasoning I had was that ".com" is a generic identifier - so Amazon could easily say I am infringing on them if I owned amazon.com (since it is brandname.com), whereas the argument I would be making for gTLD is that the ".gTLD" is a part of the brand itself. So "Amazon.Jungle" would be a seperate brand to amazonjungle.com, but I can equally see that if amazonjungle.com was quite successful, Amazon.Jungle might run into TM issues. To me, there is a slight but not absolute benefit with word.gTLD in this regard.

I'm no lawyer by any means, just hoping I don't have to worry about TM for a while. Although they say no need to worry about TM, focus on building a business first...

Last edited:
•••
Brad
What r u talking about Mugford; don't you recall KingofTop, he's asking a Billion for his 63 letter non-com.. :rolleyes: absurdity but takes some real kahunas at the same time for that kind of ask..
Well, Brad, in your particular case Data Cube / com, .com is really enough, I agree. This is mainly because we do not have .cube extension (yet), and in addition, because your brand is not generic, commonly used semantic string.
Exactly- these are the exception names that stand alone just fine on the .com extension. I'm also thinking though, this could change down the road where users look to tailor even one word or uncommonly used names to a more specific extension.
Eg, DataCube on the .domains or .shop extension.. right Brad? :laugh::angelic:
The truth of the matter is that although New gTLDs are becoming a viable choice for some businesses who only need one or two domains, but it is very difficult for the average domainer to find and to maintain a large portfolio of New gTLDs for the many more years that it's going to take to have widespread adaption for them.

For this reason although I like New gTLDs myself, but I only am able to keep a very small number of domains. The only people who can invest seriously in New gTLDs and hold on to them on a long term basis are the Registries themselves who own most of the better quality domains.
You've got a good point, it's true that for the average investor it's a challenge to find the right names and hold them long enough or turn them quick enough to make it worthwhile. I'm definitely your average maybe even less than and can attest to this. All's I can say is don't get into it without a plan be it short or long term holds for EACH name- don't blanket your names with one goal; each is unique with it's own merits that will determine what to do with it.

By the same token, a vast majority of domains held by investors will NEVER sell, regardless of extension. But at least with new gTLDs I feel it is less of a rat race and can quantify my investments with quality over quantity.

Same arguments keep coming up from some, .. "kicking can down the road".. new gTLD sales are "outliers".

I mentioned in another thread about support for new gTLD investors, stuff like this sure isn't it and it is erroneous in its nature. What we call kicking the can down the road are long-term holds, like a fruit waiting to ripen. What we call outliers happen as they should in proportion to what they are up against: around 150 million .com registrations and a 30 year head start of awareness and adoption.

Something not happening all the time does not make it an outlier, it simply makes it not happen as often. The state of domain name adoption and sales in new gTLDs is exactly as it should be right now.

•••
You've got a good point, it's true that for the average investor it's a challenge to find the right names and hold them long enough or turn them quick enough to make it worthwhile.

Let's not forget that the New gTLD program was intentionally designed to bypass the domainers by letting the Registries cater to the end users directly and so it's not just by accident that most domainers find it kind of difficult to dabble into New gTLDs same as they have done with .com , although there are still enough domains that have fallen through the cracks and that have been overlooked by the Registries that can create some good opportunities for a few smart domainers who have a good eye to pick the right domains and who have the financial resources that makes them able to hold on to them, but some Registries are now scooping up the domains that are dropped by domainers who were lucky enough to get them at standard rates and are now pricing them again as premium and thus reducing the pool of domains that might have been available to domainers even further and making it even harder for them to get into the New gtld game.

It probably is better to own a few quality New gTLDs that have standard renewals that would allow one to hang on to them on the long term basis than to get overextended to the point that you have to start dropping your good domains.

IMO

•••
You are now supporting my point that it makes a lot of sense to use the .app and the .app is more suitable than the .com in the Shopify case. Glad to see you face the truth and change your mind.

You misunderstand my point. I never deny .com and I acknowledge that .com is still the major extension nowadays. Majority of my invested domains are .com and minority are .net and new gTLDs. Because I think differently and open-minded, my portfolio is a diverse portfolio, which is unlike someone that only invest in .com and resist new gTLDs.

More businesses are using new gTLDs or ccTLDs (including .ai and .io). Besides the Shopify case, please also look into Open(.money), Smart(.bio), Realty(.app) and Radio(.cloud) that do not use .com (even not used for redirection). Also please read an article about domain extensions used among startups. (https://www.namepros.com/blog/domain-data-just-66-of-ycombinators-class-of-2018-use-com.1119027/). You will know you have missed a very important truth that some businesses are now moving away from .com and switching to .anything else. There is already a gap between your thinking and other business owners' thinking.

What's more, don't be so sure about the future. No one knows about the future. Everything can be possible in the future. .Com may or may not be the king in the future. If you are so sure about the future, it shows that your argument is just full of your hope or belief that is subjective.

I have seen many people (including you) in this forum saying they are business men, but none of them provide proof. No proof, no trust.

Final words: I have seen your opinions full of personal belief that want to represent all business owners in the world, which is arrogant in my view because there are real business cases that already violate your belief. Also, if you want to support your opinion, please use real cases and credible statistics. They can make your arguments more valid.
Some great examples, thanks for sharing! I will check them in detail, was totally not aware of some of them :)

•••
I could not choose one of those 2 options. I need the 3rd option. I developed chessstream.com and this year I bought chess.stream. I saw chessmom.com slapped with domainer price $2000+, I just bought chess.mom for cheap :) On the long run, 5-10 more years, word1.word2 that makes sense, better then word1word2.com. Our next generation probably will ask, "What is .com?"

So, on those 2 choices. I prefer not to buy/develop if only 1. I prefer to find [alternative]Love.com and [alternative].love both with reasonable prices ... probably no more than $500 combine.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back