Dynadot

BrandPa.com Experience (Brandable Domain Marketplace)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Chris Hydrick

Top Member
Impact
BrandPa.com has announced their presence on NamePros...
Hi there! I'm sorry your experience with BB wasn't pleasant :/ If you'd like to try our marketplace please don't hesitate to do so :) We're new in the domaining industry but very eager to learn! Let me know what you think or if you have any questions :) This is us: https://brandpa.com/ (or if you'd like to read about the sellers' rules visit this page: https://brandpa.com/start-selling)

Look forward to hearing from you!
Granted, the above post is from the BrandBucket experience thread, and will likely be deleted for being off topic / wrong thread, it was the first time I heard of them. The founder, @Jowita Emberton, had introduced herself in an earlier thread:

Hi guys! NamePros is a great website to get invaluable information about the domaining industry. As a reader, I'm here pretty much every day. As a writer, I'm starting today :)

I'm the founder of Brandpa (brandpa.com), a domain name marketplace similar to BB, BR or Namerific. We use AI and human knowledge to create and judge the names’ value according to how easy to pronounce and catchy they are.

I'm here to learn, get to know you and your recent experiences with other brandable name marketplaces :) We're still developing the business so any insight on our site (brandpa.com) or anything you're missing from other marketplaces will be very useful :)

Thanks!

I'm creating this thread to discuss their marketplace, and for those who have experiences with them.

Here's what I know so far:

The founder, @Jowita Emberton, runs two other online businesses according to her LinkedIn page.

Delighten.co.uk - Web / brand design firm.

Weddination.com - Polish wedding services

According to her LinkedIn, she has been operating BrandPa since August 2016. Though, the last cached Archive.org screenshot is a server error on October 4, 2016 HERE

BrandPa.com (2006) is registered to Oliver Emberton, founder and managing director of SilkTide.com.

Currently, there are 562 domains published / listed on BrandPa. It appears most domains listed are handregged by the owners. Not 100% on this; I will run a check when my program is working again.

After reviewing their listings, I found two errors.

upload_2017-2-20_14-26-8.png The domain regged is MonoRaptor.com, but the text reads ManoRaptor.com

upload_2017-2-20_14-27-32.png The domain regged is UnknownVenues.com, but the text reads UnknownVenus.com

At first look:

Pros
  • No Listing Fee
  • FREE Logos
  • Domain Owner sets price ($1,000+)
  • Forwards all offers for sellers consideration
  • Brandpa is a pretty memorable / catchy brandable domain.
  • Select 'On-Sale' marketing section
upload_2017-2-20_14-34-49.png

Cons
  • Low Alexa Ranking (4,557,819)
upload_2017-2-20_14-36-32.png
  • New site. Assuming low organic traffic, and low type-in traffic due to quality and quantity of inventory.
  • Piggy-back branding off BrandBucket in site footer see below
upload_2017-2-20_14-45-31.png

upload_2017-2-20_14-41-42.pngupload_2017-2-20_14-42-20.pngupload_2017-2-20_14-43-14.png upload_2017-2-20_14-43-54.png

• Reviews are all from .co.uk domains, yet BrandPa doesn't sell any .co.uk domains. A quick glance at other domains owned by the reviewers and I wasn't able to verify any brandable .com's with history tracing back to BrandPa.
upload_2017-2-20_15-10-41.png

Personal thoughts: I respect that they "allow the seller to submit more domain names" by not charging a listing fee. To me this shows they are willing to work for your exclusivity. Should they gain popularity, I wonder if they'll sustain this business model and/or if their logo / listing quality will decrease over time when resources are spread across the masses.

@Jowita Emberton = Feel free to comment / fill in any of the blanks. :penguin:

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I like the changes. People should worry about submitting and getting the best caliber names they can. Alot of human accepted names there and elsewhere should not have even been accepted. So human appraisals are subjective and faulty.

Make your own assessment of your names and the best place to list them. You are a domainer and should be comfortable with pricing your names. I think the ability to make your own price is empowering and positive for domainers.

The market is not going to overflood with new sellers with the $8 fee to list. Those with the $5 fee locked in will benefit the most imo.
Correct

•••
I like the changes. People should worry about submitting and getting the best caliber names they can. Alot of human accepted names there and elsewhere should not have even been accepted. So human appraisals are subjective and faulty.

Make your own assessment of your names and the best place to list them. You are a domainer and should be comfortable with pricing your names. I think the ability to make your own price is empowering and positive for domainers.

The market is not going to overflood with new sellers with the $8 fee to list. Those with the $5 fee locked in will benefit the most imo.
I agree in almost everything except at one thing. It is the human factor at the end that determines quality, and not robots.

•••
I agree in almost everything except at one thing. It is the human factor at the end that determines quality, and not robots.
In that case, you decide to list based on human judgment, yourself or request for a feedback, not auto appraisal

•••
The human factor has allowed some really bad names to be listed at all brandable platforms. Names that never sell. Names that are overpriced or underpriced. Names that are just crap.

There is nothing intrinsically better about a 3rd party appraisal versus your own judgement unless you are brand new to domaining.

I never realized how dependent alot of domainers are on someone else’s appraisal. There will still be bad names listed because a human (you) is still making the decision to accept the suggested price or not and to list or not.

Brandpa has performed GREAT for me the last year. I am glad I can list more names in a more streamlined and quick fashion. Not waiting 45 days plus 🙄

•••
•••
Estibot and GoDaddy have just as questionable auto appraisals. What it sold for or sells for often has very little to do with an appraisal, human or otherwise.

•••
They've been emailing me weird de-listing emails for names I either don't own now for many months or removed via notice from their platform like over a year ago.

Same here. Very strange with that.

•••
The human factor has allowed some really bad names to be listed at all brandable platforms. Names that never sell. Names that are overpriced or underpriced. Names that are just crap.

There is nothing intrinsically better about a 3rd party appraisal versus your own judgement unless you are brand new to domaining.

I never realized how dependent alot of domainers are on someone else’s appraisal. There will still be bad names listed because a human (you) is still making the decision to accept the suggested price or not and to list or not.

Brandpa has performed GREAT for me the last year. I am glad I can list more names in a more streamlined and quick fashion. Not waiting 45 days plus 🙄

Buyer is a human, not a robot. At the end buyer decides the quality, even though that name may be completely bad for his business :)

I wanted to say that this tool might be valuable, but at the end you are the one that decides quality, not robots.

•••
•••
Is Brandpa still exclusive then? I dont think I'd go back there if I had to tie up my names at one place. I've had so much more sales outside of these exclusive places where I get the leads. IMO.

•••
Is Brandpa still exclusive then? I dont think I'd go back there if I had to tie up my names at one place. I've had so much more sales outside of these exclusive places where I get the leads. IMO.

It seems like it. From the website:

Can I list my domain name elsewhere?
No. We need to make sure that if someone buys your domain name, they will receive it. To ensure this, you must redirect your domain to the appropriate name page on brandpa.com.

•••
Estibot and GoDaddy have just as questionable auto appraisals. What it sold for or sells for often has very little to do with an appraisal, human or otherwise.
Yes, but sedo and godaddy are not exclusive. I bet, that if they keep this feature 'everything accepted', they will double their inventory in less then one month, no matter if it's $5 or $8 listing fee. Even if you will list only great names, they will be diluted in other 30-50k names, so it will be impossible to see them. I can guess that they will not keep the auto appraisal too long, let's see if I'm right.

•••
Yes, but sedo and godaddy are not exclusive. I bet, that if they keep this feature 'everything accepted', they will double their inventory in less then one month, no matter if it's $5 or $8 listing fee. Even if you will list only great names, they will be diluted in other 30-50k names, so it will be impossible to see them. I can guess that they will not keep the auto appraisal too long, let's see if I'm right.
Likewise me.

•••
The real problem I think there is for BP, now... Is they dont have the kind of traffic and customer base/volume of transactions as their 2 "main" competitors. Why would the new model bring more buyers?

It looks they are not trying for $ generated from selling and commissions - they want an "easier" 5 bucks from domainers and know that once aid the names will be listed forever,, or until they remove it.

I wouldn't recommend anyone - including me - pay them a penny more to list names - they are not advertising it or doing anything now, at all for 5.

Look they are stepping back from actively managing the brandable market -. I have about 200 names listed with them, time to start submitting to others, I guess. What a waste of money at BP, great.

•••
I beg to differ but to each his own. They have sold more domains for me the last year than their bloated, slow competitors.

•••
I beg to differ but to each his own. They have sold more domains for me the last year than their bloated, slow competitors.

I'll admit to that. That was a fat *** margin (y) cheers. I still remember that sale you posted they always had high but yours was highest seen.

Samer

Last edited:
•••
I have 50 domains there, I'll test them for 6 months. If there is no sale after these changes, I'll move all my domains to Afternic/Dan and close my BP account.

•••
I have 50 domains there, I'll test them for 6 months. If there is no sale after these changes, I'll move all my domains to Afternic/Dan and close my BP account.

This has become an official case-study worthy of its own thread IMO.

But only if you disclose the names at the end with their appraised prices.

It's a legit experiment.

•••
Hey, I hope that hold true - and hope you make many more sales! Honestly, we need more professional marketplaces, that generate trust from buyers. BB has that SQ, ads like crazy.. BP - I see nothing, with similar size portfolios. So, for me its a real comp over the course of several years (way-pre SQ being here) - and I have 2 sales on SQ. Prob 12 on BB 10ish on Afternic, evenfy Efty Landing page sales - but nothing on BP.
I just haven't seen any value - beyond the exclusivity of listing a name on BP - now that's gone. Again, thats my experience - I hope yours holds true and sales keep flowing for you.

Good Luck to all, always.

•••
I removed my names from there about 1 year ago. I dont think I would add names back to a site that is exclusive only there by restricting my names from being seen elsewhere. I wish them well but exclusivity is not for me anymore.

•••
As a newbie.. I've so many names rejected by SH but as it stands now.. Brandpa can accept those names with 8$ listing.

Funny though

•••
Brandpa beats its rivals on various aspects (design, stats, now validation etc.) , however at the end of the day the only thing matters, how many domains you sold thanks to THEIR effort by listing with them. So far according to Spyfu the estimated monthly PPC budget as per below currently ( probably SEO experts here can fetch more accurate numbers) :

BB 14.8k / 669 paid keywords
SH 33.7k / 3092 paid keywords
BP 0k / 1 paid keyword

By no means this understates the other brandable sites are much better ( insider sellers favored, flooded with average at best names etc.)

I have removed all my names ( despite I like the site and the staff is very helpful ) as the only name sold with BP would have been sold otherwise : Godaddy broker came to me with an offer through Whois. (True//Fort /com reported on NP)

Until they start spending on marketing a whole lot more, this would be an expensive landing page for me. Anyway I tweaked my strategy and only buy names which could sell regardless listed on brandable sites or not.

Each one of us should ask the question ourselves : when end user browsing through endless of similar quality names sometimes with the exact same keywords, what is the chance they will choose yours?
On the contrary when someone comes up with an idea they type the name into the browser and if priced right, might be a higher chance for conversion.

Just my 2 cents...

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
Seems there won't be any rejected names again...

So... for all of us who paid for exclusivity... and the premium picking of our domains...

...that all went out the window? Now everything goes?? Why are we paying $5 to $8 again?? I don't get it.

•••
Back