IT.COM

Brandbucket sold my domain - Won't tell me final sale price

NameSilo
Watch
I was just notified that brandbucket sold my domain name. They won't tell me how much it was sold for, they'd only tell me how much I'll get after the fees/comission. When I asked again how much it was sold for, they advised me it is against their policy and he can't tell me.

They sold MY domain, but won't tell ME how much it sold for?

The only reason I can think of this is because they negotiated a higher amount than the amount they're giving me.

How does this make any sense?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Let me step in here with the truth.

We never said that it is "not our policy" to disclose the sale price. We have had 30 emails with you concerning this transaction -- some prior to buying where you told us that you wanted $2500 as your take home in the case we couldn't get the buyer to pay full price, and many after the fact where we discussed which payment option you would prefer. I have combed over EVERYTHING a second time, and nowhere did we ever tell you we couldn't tell you the sale price. At one point the escrow agent in charge of your order told you the WRONG price (full price before discount), which we corrected immediately and apologized for. We also gave you the breakdown of the fees.

I will share with you directly the charge from Stripe showing the full amount from the buyer.

Please do not spread misinformation. We have transacted thousands and thousands of domains, for hundreds and hundreds of sellers. We have nothing to hide about the way we do business.

•••
Let me step in here with the truth.

Please do not spread misinformation.

+1 for publicly stating your position.
-1 for the passive aggressive tone.

Let me step in here with "our side of the story".

"While we respect your right to share your opinion, we would hope you would thoroughly work towards a solution in private before sharing in a public forum"

See the difference in tone?

•••
I was just notified that brandbucket sold my domain name. They won't tell me how much it was sold for, they'd only tell me how much I'll get after the fees/comission. When I asked again how much it was sold for, they advised me it is against their policy and he can't tell me.

They sold MY domain, but won't tell ME how much it sold for?

The only reason I can think of this is because they negotiated a higher amount than the amount they're giving me.

How does this make any sense?
Wow-you should post this on the "Brandbucket Experience" thread-lots of people would like to know this.

•••
I thought the names were all listed with a Buy Now price? Even with a make offer option, I would never list with a company that hides how much "my domain" was purchased for. This should be 100% transparent! Without this they can make up any number, and pocket a little or alot extra for themselves.

This is the first marketplace I ever heard hiding how much domains are sold for from the owner?
I am surprised domainers even use this place without a buy now option if this is truly brandbucket's policy?
I just posted this under BrandBucket Experience thread-ive never heard of such a thing.

•••
Well isn't this interesting. I conveniently just received an email with the sale price. (Possibly due to this thread?)

my take home was 2500.
$100 goes to the logo designer.
Final sale price $3995.

My Canadian math must be wrong.

sale price minus 100(for logo) = $3895
Minus 30% = 1168.50

So the total should be 2726.50

But all they were going to give me was $2500. Who was going to pocket that additional 226.50?

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
•••
Was it listed at 3995? My understanding was that if they chose to sell for less (not approved by you), then they absorbed that out of their 30% - which would mean that you still get more than 2500....
was originally listed at 3995 (or maybe it was $4,005. can't remember and no longer have access to it). They contacted me saying they received an offer which would give me 2000 after fees. (didn't say how much the offer was) I responded that I wanted 2500 take home. A week later I emailed back and asked if there was any update. He said they sold the name and I was getting 2500 after fees. I asked how much it sold for, and it went ignored. I asked again and was told it wasn't policy to tell how much it sold for. I asked a 3rd time and was reminded again of this policy.

Then I was told it sold for $3995. I asked about the difference in dollars.
I inquired about the few hundred dollars discrepancy. I received an email from Margot who apologized and said his final numbers were incorrect. I then received another email from the original sales person I was talking to who now says the domain sold for 3715. Conveniently enough to make it 2500 even.

This smells all too fishy.

That's the updated version

Last edited:
•••
That's my red flag right there. Who negotiates a price for a single domain down to $3715.? Not saying it's impossible, but highly, highly improbable. And far too convenient to achieve the seller's stated threshold of $2500.

If we offer a discount almost all of them are percentage base, so they will all end with a non-round figure.

In this particular case, the seller specifically mentioned what he wanted for a take-home which was and we were able to get the seller there. The discount % was in the single digits.

FYI - This topic was addressed in the main BB thread with the buyer as well.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I thought the names were all listed with a Buy Now price? Even with a make offer option, I would never list with a company that hides how much "my domain" was purchased for. This should be 100% transparent! Without this they can make up any number, and pocket a little or alot extra for themselves.

This is the first marketplace I ever heard hiding how much domains are sold for from the owner?
I am surprised domainers even use this place without a buy now option if this is truly brandbucket's policy?

•••
Just an update. as I conveniently just received an email with the sale price. (After asking 3 times in 3 separate emails and being denied every time) Possibly thanks to this thread?

They originally emailed me saying it was a 2000 offer. I said "I won't sell for anything less than 2500 take home"

They then said the name sold and told me my take home was in fact $2500. I asked a few times via email, and they refused to answer. I created that thread, and I mysteriously get an email several minutes later with the amount. They now tell me what it sold for, but there is a $275 discrepancy. So who was going to pocket the difference? Certainly not me. Certainly not the buyer.

•••
Well isn't this interesting. I conveniently just received an email with the sale price. (Possibly due to this thread?)

my take home was 2500.
$100 goes to the logo designer.
Final sale price $3995.

My Canadian math must be wrong.

sale price minus 100(for logo) = $3895
Minus 30% = 1168.50

So the total should be 2726.50

But all they were going to give me was $2500. Who was going to pocket that additional 226.50?

My math is a little different from yours, but still a gap.

The $100 is taken out of your 70%.

So basically it goes like this:
3995 - (.3 * 3995) - 100 = 3995 - ~1199 - 100 = 2696
That still gives you $196 difference though..

•••
Congrats on your sale!
Ask them about the discrepancy.

Thanks, I was actually going to remove the name from there as its an easily brandable, pronounceable, LLLL .com. Still waiting to get an answer. So far I'm not impressed

•••
Dont have names up there (yet), but is that standard policy to not share all of the details? Do you/others (chime in, please) get a full and transparent accounting of the sale figures?

*edit* I misunderstood your post.
I would hope that's not a standard. This is the first name that I have sold through their marketplace. I was told that No, you don't get the info.

•••
*edit* I misunderstood your post.
I would hope that's not a standard. This is the first name that I have sold through their marketplace. I was told that No, you don't get the info.

Yea, I dont like that either. I would not sell through there either - should this be their policy (or their new policy). Perhaps its time for another marketplace to emerge.........

•••
Just an update. as I conveniently just received an email with the sale price. (After asking 3 times in 3 separate emails and being denied every time) Possibly thanks to this thread?

They originally emailed me saying it was a 2000 offer. I said "I won't sell for anything less than 2500 take home"

They then said the name sold and told me my take home was in fact $2500. I asked a few times via email, and they refused to answer. I created that thread, and I mysteriously get an email several minutes later with the amount. They now tell me what it sold for, but there is a $275 discrepancy. So who was going to pocket the difference? Certainly not me. Certainly not the buyer.
You sound like a smart guy-who do you think was going to pocket the difference. Remember what this founder said in an interview " Sellers should be happy with $2000 on an $8 investment" (parapharse)

•••
I can't imagine a buyer coming along and offering a nice round number

"I'll give you $3,000 for that"

Then brandbucket comes back and says "Actually we need $3,715 for the domain"

Maybe it happened but it just sounds strange. Would be more professional to say $3,700 or $3,750 to the buyer and just eat the difference of a few bucks if it sold for $3,700 unless they are that stingy over fifteen bucks.

•••
+1 for publicly stating your position.
-1 for the passive aggressive tone.

Let me step in here with "our side of the story".

"While we respect your right to share your opinion, we would hope you would thoroughly work towards a solution in private before sharing in a public forum"

See the difference in tone?

Thanks @cosaseco. Noted for next time... :)

•••

Congrats on your sale!
Ask them about the discrepancy.

•••
Ah even better. I figured the $100 would be "commission free" Apparently not.
Thanks for your math :)

•••
Oh please tell us more. :)

Dont have names up there (yet), but is that standard policy to not share all of the details? Do you/others (chime in, please) get a full and transparent accounting of the sale figures?

•••
If this is their SOP. I will never use them. Very shady indeed. BrandBucket should respond here.

•••
Update #2
I just received an email saying that the domain sold for 3715. Earlier today the email said it sold for 3995. When I started questioning the deductions, it now suddenly only sold for 3715.

I really wish I could get the full/actual story here.

•••
was originally listed at 3995 (or maybe it was $4,005. can't remember and no longer have access to it). They contacted me saying they received an offer which would give me 2000 after fees. (didn't say how much the offer was) I responded that I wanted 2500 take home. A week later I emailed back and asked if there was any update. He said they sold the name and I was getting 2500 after fees. I asked how much it sold for, and it went ignored. I asked again and was told it wasn't policy to tell how much it sold for. I asked a 3rd time and was reminded again of this policy.

Then I was told it sold for $3995. I asked about the difference in dollars.
I inquired about the few hundred dollars discrepancy. I received an email from Margot who apologized and said his final numbers were incorrect. I then received another email from the original sales person I was talking to who now says the domain sold for 3715. Conveniently enough to make it 2500 even.

This smells all too fishy.

That's the updated version

It sounds a bit fishy, but it may have been an honest mistake. It sounds like it actually sold for $3715 and they misquoted you initially (would still love to hear this confirmed from them) when they said that it was sold for the original 3995 price. They might have taken your response as giving them permission to bring it down to 3715 and perhaps that is what they told the buyer (aka, this is the lowest we can go).... still sounds like they didn't communicate well with you in explaining the offer details and then miscommunicated after the fact... and ignoring emails from sellers is NOT acceptable...

•••
Back