IT.COM

BrandBucket Pre-Listing Qualification Question/Feedback

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

hostkobo

Established Member
Impact
Hello sir,
Just curious, how do you / I know that a name would be accepted by BB even while its available for handreg?

regards
HK

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
3 days back I submitted an unregistered name.

Few minutes back I received approval mail with listing price of ~$2395.

I tried to register it only to find that it has been taken (on aliyun).

:(

I really liked the name, very memorable.

•••
I can't help being paranoid here. I am new to BB with somewhat decent approval rate.

•••
@nitg16 -

Shoot me a PM with the domain name in question and I'll take a look at the Whois.

Also include in your PM which registrar you perform your availability checks through? Some (most) of these registrars track search patterns and checking a name multiple times while waiting during the BB review cycle is not advisable..

Also curious, how many unreg names did you submit to BB over the past 30 days and how many were Accepted? And of those Accepted, how many of those names did you successfully register?

The reason I ask - operating your business in paranoia is not healthy and may cause you to 2nd guess yourself (which will lead to anxiety and making mistakes). If this is 1 in 60 accepted names that was regd during the review window, then your results are consistent with ours and that is likely coincidental. The 59 successful registrations we viewed as a positive outcome and track record. If, however, it was the opposite and a large portion of your names were regd during the review window (prior to receiving your BB Approval notifications), then it's definitely worth performing some detailed research to identify patterns and then draw a conclusion. And I recommend that if you (we) do find a pattern, we share it with Keith. I am sure he would welcome such insight.

As a programmer, I think "structurally" and am process driven. So the best way to address your concern is to analyze the data as a whole, not focus solely on a one off, and then determine if there is an overarching process flaw (or not). And if there is a flaw, address it with someone who can (and will) take action on the matter.

Glad to help in the background with some research.

Last edited:
•••
B
@nitg16 -

Shoot me a PM with the domain name in question and I'll take a look at the Whois.

Also include in your PM which registrar you perform your availability checks through? Some (most) of these registrars track search patterns and checking a name multiple times while waiting during the BB review cycle is not advisable..

Also curious, how many unreg names did you submit to BB over the past 30 days and how many were Accepted? And of those Accepted, how many of those names did you successfully register?

The reason I ask - operating your business in paranoia is not healthy and may cause you to 2nd guess yourself (which will lead to anxiety and making mistakes). If this is 1 in 60 accepted names that was regd during the review window, then your results are consistent with ours and that is likely coincidental. The 59 successful registrations we viewed as a positive outcome and track record. If, however, it was the opposite and a large portion of your names were regd during the review window (prior to receiving your BB Approval notifications), then it's definitely worth performing some detailed research to identify patterns and then draw a conclusion. And I recommend that if you (we) do find a pattern, we share it with Keith. I am sure he would welcome such insight.

As a programmer, I think "structurally" and am process driven. So the best way to address your concern is to analyze the data as a whole, not focus solely on a one off, and then determine if there is an overarching process flaw (or not). And if there is a flaw, address it with someone who can (and will) take action on the matter.

Glad to help in the background with some research.

I won't reveal the domain name.

But it was registered by someone else on the same day I submitted the domain to BB. Seems like new owner is a Chinese user according to whois.

The address mentioned in whois is fake and includes gibberish like this: agjkhdgajsgdajsgdahsjdgasjhkdgjas

I now think it is just a coincidence and I apologise to BB for doubting them.

•••
As a side note - some data you (and others) might find interesting...

Last fall we had submitted a batch of a few hundred names to BB and with that batch we received 147 rejects. No, we don't have a perfect acceptance rate and yes we tightly track our operating processes..

So, here's something we found - of the 147 unregd "Rejects", a whopping 13 were registered within a 90 day period following the our submission.

We then performed a detailed Whois search on the 13 names and found no significant patterns. Most (nearly all) of the 13 did not use Whois Privacy, the Registrant contact information was diverse, as was the registars being used.

Our conclusion - we had submitted quality names and others throughout this planet felt the same when they stumbled upon them.

We had a similar situation on a group of 2,000 5L's back in 2016 that were unreg at the time (not submitted to BB) and within 6 months over 18% were registered. A crazy 3% per month were being absorbed and were no longer available for handreg only 6 months later.

We are a data driven group.

Last edited:
•••
@nitg16 - thanks for posting the insight on the domain in question.

Last edited:
•••
As Brand Cougar has said, domaining is a highly competitive industry. There are several thousand domainers (at least) all looking for quality names to reg or catch in the expiring/drops etc. This results in thousands of domains being registered everyday. Anyone with a list of unregistered names will find that many of them get registered over the coming days, weeks and months. You can try it as an experiment.

However, if anyone notices some pattern or suspicious activity in regards to BrandBucket, please tell them (or me) right away. They are very keen to make sure there is no leaking or hacking of their system. Trust is a key component to their business model and they take it seriously.

•••
As Brand Cougar has said, domaining is a highly competitive industry. There are several thousand domainers (at least) all looking for quality names to reg or catch in the expiring/drops etc. This results in thousands of domains being registered everyday. Anyone with a list of unregistered names will find that many of them get registered over the coming days, weeks and months. You can try it as an experiment.

However, if anyone notices some pattern or suspicious activity in regards to BrandBucket, please tell them (or me) right away. They are very keen to make sure there is no leaking or hacking of their system. Trust is a key component to their business model and they take it seriously.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I will keep an eye if this domain ever pops up on BB or other marketplaces like BrandPa.

•••
While I think it’s great that it is an option, I do not submit unregistered domains or domains at closeout or auction. I either like the name or I don’t.

Often wondered if 20 BB people all submit the same names of auctions they are watching or domains they are considering buying B.B. is making a nice profit for the same one assessment. System never says that name has allready been approved or declined keep your money. 😜

Case in point, my 4 highest priced names are all hand regs. 2 of them are five figure. Now can you imagine getting a five figure assessment and not allready having the domain? 😂

I keep lists too dating back almost 6 months on keyword based brandables. 80 percent are gone in 6 months even more if it’s a trending term or niche. So the bottom line is it’s a nice option if you are comfortable leaving it unregistered.

•••
>> I will keep an eye if this domain ever pops up on BB or other marketplaces like BrandPa.

Seriously?

Chasing a name that has long since been registered seems like a waste of energy.

Based on your anxiety on the topic, respectfully, I strongly recommend you only submit registered names to BB.

This will eliminate your stress and allow you to focus your energy on finding solid names that you 100% know that - if approved - you will have them secured in your registrar account already.

I hope the suggestion is helpful.

Cheers.

•••
>> I will keep an eye if this domain ever pops up on BB or other marketplaces like BrandPa.

Seriously?

Chasing a name that has long since been registered seems like a waste of energy.

Based on your anxiety on the topic, respectfully, I strongly recommend you only submit registered names to BB.

This will eliminate your stress and allow you to focus your energy on finding solid names that you 100% know that - if approved - you will have them secured in your registrar account already.

I hope the suggestion is helpful.

Cheers.
Lol, I am not stressed and I am not even thinking about it.

I will only do that once in a while if I get reminded about it and won't actively pursue it. That's it.

Don't know why you thought that I am taking stress or I am getting anxious. There are tons of domains names available and getting a domain name approved means nothing. It is the sale that counts. If I lost this one, then I will get another.

Last edited:
•••
Often wondered if 20 BB people all submit the same names of auctions they are watching or domains they are considering buying B.B. is making a nice profit for the same one assessment. System never says that name has allready been approved or declined keep your money. 😜

This is an interesting point, and surprisingly (as far as I know) you are the first to bring it up. I raised this point to BB when the Growth Program was first implemented and was told by Margot (BB founder) that the BB staff had lengthy discussions about this point.

They decided an auto-acceptance wouldn't be fair to all sellers. Here's why:

If sellers were to get an automatic acceptance with no fee. It would tip them off that another BB seller was going to be bidding on (or registering) that domain. This would be insider info for the second seller and info that the first person who submitted the name would not have. It was decided that in order to keep things on a level playing field for all BB sellers the process would be the same for all submissions, even those that were previously submitted and approved.

The exception to this is when a BB seller submits a name for an appraisal review that was previously published on BB and then deleted/expired etc. In those cases, when the domain is submitted, you will get an error message as seen below. What you would do then is buy/register that domain and then send an email to BB ([email protected]) and tell them you are the current owner of the domain and could they please put it in your account.

There are zero fees for republishing a domain that was previously published on BrandBucket - except for the logo fee which is paid to the logo designer when/if the domain is sold.

bandicam 2018-05-23 10-43-12-599.jpg

PS Elatey.com is available for purchase, right now, in the GoDaddy closeouts. It was previously accepted by BB at a suggested price of $1,795

Last edited:
•••
Back