Dynadot

Brandbucket listed my domain for $150,000..now what?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Foxproxy

Established Member
Impact
Brandbucket appraised one of my domains between $150k and $180k. I chose to list it on the lower end for $150k. However, I'm very skeptical that it will sell at this price. It’s to high IMO, and I don't have the option to list it for less. In fact they appraised some of my 3L domains for less.

Can anyone offer some insight into how brandbucket’s appraisal process works, and if it's all BS or not. Also, do they have an actual sales team working to sell domains individually, or do they just list domains on their platform and forget about it, and hope it sells itself.

Interestingly they also give me the option to liquidate this domain for $1,500, which is more money than they are offering to liquidate two of my 3L dot com names. This makes no sense to me lol

Also, by liquidating a domain, I'm guessing it means selling it directly to BrainBucket?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Now you wait for the domain not to be sold ever.

•••
Also, do they have an actual sales team working to sell domains individually
Unfortunately I can't answer re their appraisal system - I always assumed it is done by individuals who have a significant experience with them, and will know what sells and what does not at what price. They were (one of?) the first brandable places, and have sold a lot of names, so do know the market well.

Re sales process, they do have a team of people. They usually have a number of their team at NamesCon conference for people to meet. As far as I know they do not seek out specific leads, like a broker doing outbound would, but they do interact with people who contact them looking for a brand name. They also promote with ads specific names in a targeted way.

Congratulations on the high valuation, and best wishes for the domain name. Hopefully those who list a lot at BrandBucket can more fully answer your questions.

Bob

PS You have probably already done this, but you can use BB Advanced Search to look only at names $100,000 plus, there are currently 114 listings. Probably worthwhile to see if you consider your name similar to those.

Last edited:
•••
My understanding is that liquidation does mean that BrandBucket will buy it. They price I believe at 1% of the suggested price minus $9.

•••
Congrats on the valuation. I saw the name. It seems like a really weird appraisal by BB. I think it may have been due to the .io. Pricing based on one entity would require a lot of luck so personally I wouldn't list it at that price. Good luck!

•••
Funny thing is that before the .io that you are referring too, we actually used the domain for one of our business related to analytics, and it was seeing over a million monthly users pass through it. It was only after we rebranded and did the .io guys show up.

•••
There are a few "old sayings" when dealing in business.

"If it's to good to be true, it probably is".

"Take the MONEY and run".

Its your choice, You pick one. 😉

Last edited:
•••
I’m open to selling it for $5,000 if anyone is interested. Great investment opportunity for anyone willing to wait.

•••
I’m open to selling it for $5,000 if anyone is interested. Great investment opportunity for anyone willing to wait.
I'd like to see the domain, if you don't mind DM'ing me with it. I won't mention it publicly in thread. Thanks

•••
•••
After seeing your post about previously having a million monthly users, I looked into it more. Your domain has a fantastic backlink profile from your previous use of it. That's highly desirable. So I think that may have contributed to the high price. BB isn't exactly the best place for SEO rich domains, IMO. After seeing the backlink profile- your domain is much more valuable than it first seemed based on only the name or the .io company. So take that into account.

Last edited:
•••
BB does a decent job with appraisals overall and they certainly sold quite a few names that I would've NEVER priced that high. With that being said, BB has nearly TWO HUNDRED THOUSAND names. They can afford to underprice a lot of names, overprice a few, etc. Us as sellers, with limited resources, we have to give each name the best chance of selling. So while 150K may sound really good, it may not always be what's in our best interest. I'm sure if you reached out, you could ask for a lower selling price and they would happily oblige or tell you why to hold that price. I'd be curious to see the name if someone PMed me it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back