IT.COM

domains Brand-New Isn't Always Better: This Is Why You Need an Aged Domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

koolishman

Top Member
Impact

Brand-New Isn't Always Better: This Is Why You Need an Aged Domain

A new startup's best bet for success is to use an aged domain rather than a brand-new one. Since many people don't value domains as much more than website names and extensions, most startups opt for purchasing the latest available name with no history associated with it.

However, this isn't the best strategy since using an old domain can actually increase trust in your business because of its age and track record on the internet — essentially letting potential customers know that you've been around long enough (and successfully) to establish yourself online before they even knew about your existence.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
There are some computer literate people that know about eg. web archive but I don't think that's the norm.
So, how can the average person know how to look for the age of a domain?

I'm genuinely curious btw.

•••
Hosterstats.com

Domaintools.com

•••
@koolishman ,
I'm not asking how a domainer will look for the age, I'm asking how an average person that uses the internet can know what the age of a domain is just by looking at it/ visiting it/ searching for it, etc.

...unless ofc, you assume that most people have a habit of perusing any domainers tools that are out there.

•••
If you have business intent for a domain, you have to use the tools to verify.

Ordinary joe cannot realise domain age just by looking at it.

•••
I'm not sure people trying to buy a domain for their business look at such tools but maybe I'm wrong.

The point however is that, every metric should have a practical use so the question remains: what is the practical use of an aged domain for a business?
Sure, the future domain owner might check and buy an aged domain,... what then?

•••
Better is just better as i registered some crap and technology that faded as well as some gems since late 90s.

•••
After the domain name (+ extension), the age of a domain name is my 3rd priority.

But yes, I think this is how domainers or SEOs or website dev's look at it.

•••
If you read the article carefully you will notice it's not about domain age at all. Crap article, crap headline.

•••
Aren't most of these articles written by anyone who can just sign up and post? Eg., Forbes, Medium, Entrepreneur, etc? Not necessarily anyone with domain name experience.. but they get the "authenticity" of the site backing them.

The author's site has nothing related to DN. Nothing against aged domains I'm all for them actually, but age doesn't necessarily equate trust. It just means the name is stable in terms of recognizability.

•••
Back