Dynadot

discuss Boosting a domain's value by installing a social media platform.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Kuffy

Name StagTop Member
Impact
I'm returning to domaining after a few years away, hence the questions as I try to come to terms with the changes in the industry. I've just picked up a single word name from the expired list. It isn't in the OED,but it is in the Urban Dictionary. I think the name could be brandable, and it has a possible use for a social media platform. I can host the name and install a content management package in a few seconds, but of course, there is a bit of daily work involved in keeping the site clean if I make it available for general use. It won't be another facebook, but I think it could gain a bit of public interest.

Do you guys think it is worth the effort, or will I mess up the name if I have got the wrong idea?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No for me....

What if what you are posting does not align with someone's Branding vision?

You might put off potential buyers who are looking for a blank canvas.....

Otherwise you are creating a business to resell....which is different

Last edited:
•••
Yes, that is the big risk.

The alternative is to build a landing page that discusses the possibilities.

•••
Yes, that is the big risk.

The alternative is to build a landing page that discusses the possibilities.
You see a list of possible uses for domains on the Brandable sites, I also see people do it with their DAN and Epik landers as well.... so might not be a bad idea to do that, I prefer a simple make offer or BIN page myself - but each to their own :xf.smile:

Last edited:
•••
No for me....

What if what you are posting does not align with someone's Branding vision?

You might put off potential buyers who are looking for a blank canvas.....

Otherwise you are creating a business to resell....which is different

Good point Nick

•••
You see a list of possible uses for domains on the Brandable sites, I also see people do it with their DAN and Epik landers as well.... so might not be a bad idea to do that, I prefer a simple make offer or BIN page myself - but each to their own :xf.smile:
I second this. If you're selling names (not businesses), put your time and effort into finding good names at good prices (or into direct marketing/selling, if that's your thing).

Simple landing page at DAN or Efty is the way to go for me. It looks nice, professional, and tells potential buyers that the name is available.

The only time I'd include extra info (i.e. logos or possible uses for the name) is if a brandable marketplace is doing that work for me. They have the data and the visibility. They know what they're doing, so let them spend the time and money on it (if you choose to list with them).

Last edited:
•••
All marketing fluff if you'd ask me. I recently purchased a short name. Lots of bla bla bla on the lander. Just 'happened' to be the emd abbreviation of the client.

Keep it simple.

•••
I second this. If you're selling names (not businesses), put your time and effort into finding good names at good prices (or into direct marketing/selling, if that's your thing).

Simple landing page at DAN or Efty is the way to go for me. It looks nice, professional, and tells potential buyers that the name is available.

The only time I'd include extra info (i.e. logos or possible uses for the name) is if a brandable marketplace is doing that work for me. They have the data and the visibility. They know what they're doing, so let them spend the time and money on it (if you choose to list with them).

Agree, don't waste too much time on work other than purchasing and selling, and a simple landing page to tell buyer the domain is for sale is enough.

Another point,
Building a website, can't improve the value of domain name. The added value is the value of the website, not the domain name.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back