Watch

capybara

capybaraTop Member
Impact
Today Dan homepage features two "sales":
n0lzUg9.png

His profile reveals a number of domains priced at €100 each:
M0r89PB.png

Looks like a great opportunity to grab an LLL, LLLL and some other nice names!

#ownershipverificationneeded

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
ownership verification is bad thing, if you add few domain a month that make sense but for full time domainer he/she can't spend time daily on verifying ownership for each and every domain. I have 0 domain in Sedo just becoz of that. Domainer have more important work than this verification and in first place I use 3rd party market place just to free up my own time on managing my own marketplace website.

•••
Thank you for raising this issue. The problem here is a human one. As long as people are involved in the domain listing process, some will for some reason add fake listings. We've seen Undeveloped.com and DAN.COM being listed at all major marketplaces by different sellers so many times that we stopped fighting it. It's something that's very hard to battle, even with ownership verification in place.

What we're doing to prevent this from happening too often is to manage a growing list of active sites that we add to a blacklist. By doing this we prevent sellers from adding those domains to our inventory. We automatically also block the top 50,000 Alexa ranking sites for example.

And in a week or two, our revamped automated domain ownership verification will go live, however, as mentioned that won't make these cases disappear.

Lastly, keep in mind that no seller can benefit from adding fake listings and no buyer can become a victim of fake listings either since no transaction can be concluded without the seller actually delivering the domain.

We thank the community for its safeguarding activities and encourage our users to always contact us when in doubt over a seller profile or listing. Our staff will act diligently when needed.
Its great to hear you have some kind of verification coming soon (although it does not sound like it is going to solve much), but that is only half of the problem. Another is that initiated transactions get listed as sales – sure, you could say "nowhere says that Domains you just missed are in fact sales", but thats what it makes us believe. It would be better if you could show only the completed transactions.

•••
ownership verification is bad thing, if you add few domain a month that make sense but for full time domainer he/she can't spend time daily on verifying ownership for each and every domain. I have 0 domain in Sedo just becoz of that. Domainer have more important work than this verification and in first place I use 3rd party market place just to free up my own time on managing my own marketplace website.
You'd rather spend time daily writing messages to Dan and Afternic asking to add the domain to your account because it was listed by somebody else before?

•••
So how much time does it take to verify all your domains with a txt record?

I estimate this to take me less than a minute. What's the hold up people?

Last edited:
•••
I am following shaking head.

•••

when you have several thousands and some don't allow to modify the txt record only manually this can take ages so no its not that simple....

•••
•••
when you have several thousands and some don't allow to modify the txt record only manually this can take ages so no its not that simple....

Indeed, that's why we didn't go for the Sedo route and are implementing ownership verification based on a unique nameserver we give you instead of working with a TXT record.

Each seller gets assigned a unique verification nameserver and you simply add that nameserver as the third nameserver for your domains. Automatically we will move all domains with that nameserver to your account at DAN.

•••
Indeed, that's why we didn't go for the Sedo route and are implementing ownership verification based on a unique nameserver we give you instead of working with a TXT record.

Each seller gets assigned a unique verification nameserver and you simply add that nameserver as the third nameserver for your domains. Automatically we will move all domains with that nameserver to your account at DAN.

Great news thats more like it sedo need to learn from this !

•••

I would prefer a TXT record, with a verification nameserver you cannot keep secret your portfolio.

•••
I would prefer a TXT record, with a verification nameserver you cannot keep secret your portfolio.

What do you mean? Both can be seen. If the unique nameserver is randomly generated then how is it any different?

•••
What do you mean? Both can be seen. If the unique nameserver is randomly generated then how is it any different?
there will be 1 nameserver per dan account

•••
there will be 1 nameserver per dan account

And there is 1 TXT record per SEDO account. And you can just check the seller's other domain names on DAN anyway, what is the problem?

•••
And there is 1 TXT record per SEDO account. And you can just check the seller's other domain names on DAN anyway, what is the problem?

having 3 nameservers is not different to 2 nameservers
and can be set as default

•••
if the TXT is in a secret subdomain it's not a problem.

•••

Definitely not the best way to do it due to a number of registrars not allowing BULK TXT updates. With thousands of domains, adding manually to each domain would be a nightmare. Again, one would have to maintain the default nameservers to allow TXT propagation which is again not quick at each registrar.

•••

I have over 4000 domains. It's no big issue if you use 3rd party DNS or your own.

If you have that many domains I would look into decent 3rd party DNS hosting or running your own. It'll be very cost-effective in the end.

•••

I like the idea. But won't that break the way the domain resolves if you don't want to point it directly to your Dan lander?

I run my own 4 DNS servers, pointing to my landers. Any buy now option on my lander point to the either Dan, Sedo or afternic which I can set in the back end.

Would I be able to set the A record of this custom nameserver to my own ips? Would I be able to add additional TXT records to it for Sedo verification? Does it allow me to do a zone transfer from my Master server?

If we can't do that it'll break verification on other platforms and I don't think a lot of people are using DAN exclusively.

Last edited:
•••

Well done. 👏

•••
You can't if the seller opted for privacy:
sHphHl4.png

On Sedo, one needs to keep the TEXT record only for a few minutes it takes to complete verification, it can be removed immediately afterwards.

•••

That's good initiative, hope you guy allow easy to remember name server format like, we can choose first name or business name sam1.dan.com ,sam2.dan.com, brandable1.dan.com, brandable2.dan.com

•••
I doubt that Billy knows he would have to transfer the names before getting paid! Maybe he was just having a laugh! If he meant business, he would have been caught out by DAN anyway. Who really sells premiuim 3-letter names for 100£$€?

•••

Out of curiosity, how do you go about pricing your domains when you're listing them in bulk?

•••
They could monitor names they have on the platform and if they are found in the pending delete file, remove them from the site

That is what Sedo does, automatically.

•••
If you are able to create DNS templates, you can set one that assigns an A record to point to the lander of your choice, such as Dan.com or Sedo.com, and at the same time add the requested text record. If you can bulk edit domains, this then lists/verifies them on multiple platforms in one operation. If you want to delete the txt records you can come back and do that later.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back