Dynadot

domains Big companies and domain names – DNW Podcast #112

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
Do big companies get it when it comes to domain names? Jamie Zoch (@Yofie) closely tracks company domain name registrations and works with them to buy and sell domain names. On today’s podcast, Jamie discusses the mistakes they make and how you can transact with these big companies.
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think if all big companies truly understood the benefits of owning the relevant names, domains would be selling for much higher prices than they currently are.

Hopefully more companies will soon realise the value of having the right domains and start budgeting for them in the same way they do for advertising.

•••
This is not possible. - When you own a domain name - It gets registered - Think of how many keyword domains they would need to actively find and register - do paperwork mail it off to icann / verisign - pay the money to each of them - repeat at the end of the year. When in fact - they can do this with a few names that ARE going to sell just a matter of time

think of how many billions of dollars they would need to drop into the profits - now they are just infact domain investors - Competing with other registrys - unless your a mike mann type guy and have that many to begin with.

Plus now their old customers who are registering millions of names per day across all extensions - Are now not interested because any domain costs 50 bucks to register - and you can only get names that suck...

Why would a domainer hope that their supplier raises prices - makes it alot harder to aquire decent names to list - Your just promoting that you hope the registrars create a bubble..

@EmotiveDomains

Think if the government / pricing regulators realized gas is valuable so they raised the price 10 25 dollars a gallon and only allowed certain companies to run the entire supply. - Sounds fishy

Last edited:
•••
If you have a business large or small,
.company is the obvious choice for your web presence.

Let the world know you’re open for business with a
.company web address.

•••
This is not possible. - When you own a domain name - It gets registered - Think of how many keyword domains they would need to actively find and register - do paperwork mail it off to icann / verisign - pay the money to each of them - repeat at the end of the year. When in fact - they can do this with a few names that ARE going to sell just a matter of time

think of how many billions of dollars they would need to drop into the profits - now they are just infact domain investors - Competing with other registrys - unless your a mike mann type guy and have that many to begin with.

Plus now their old customers who are registering millions of names per day across all extensions - Are now not interested because any domain costs 50 bucks to register - and you can only get names that suck...

Why would a domainer hope that their supplier raises prices - makes it alot harder to aquire decent names to list - Your just promoting that you hope the registrars create a bubble..

@EmotiveDomains

Think if the government / pricing regulators realized gas is valuable so they raised the price 10 25 dollars a gallon and only allowed certain companies to run the entire supply. - Sounds fishy

I'm talking about increasing the value of aftermarket domains - names already owned by domainers that these companies would want to buy from us. More specifically the .com's relevant to their industry.

Isn't the whole basis of domining having companies that want to buy domain names from investors?

•••
If you have a business large or small,
.company is the obvious choice for your web presence.

Let the world know you’re open for business with a
.company web address.

Do you consider .company to now be a more obvious choice for businesses than .com?

•••
Do you consider .company to now be a more obvious choice for businesses than .com?

of course :xf.wink:

for companies this is a ShortCut

Google recently bought X.company

•••
of course :xf.wink:

for companies this is a ShortCut

Google recently bought X.company

Fair enough, but a shortcut that requires users to type in four more letters :xf.smile:

Just kidding, I know you mean shortcut in terms of cheaper alternative.

But in terms of what the podcast was talking about, big companies should always want to own the key .com's for their industry, rather than having a rival or independent person benefiting form them. As well as misspellings, keyword variations and negative names in the .com's.

Owning the key .com's gives the company power in that sector, as well as them being an investment asset.

•••
Fair enough, but a shortcut that requires users to type in four more letters :xf.smile:

Just kidding, I know you mean shortcut in terms of cheaper alternative.

But in terms of what the podcast was talking about, big companies should always want to own the key .com's for their industry, rather than having a rival or independent person benefiting form them. As well as misspellings, keyword variations and negative names in the .com's.

Owning the key .com's gives the company power in that sector, as well as them being an investment asset.

i got LNG.Company ( short and to the point )

https://www.namepros.com/threads/lng-company-liquefied-natural-gas-for-sale.984987/

Qatar is the richiest country in the world
why ?
they have a lot of LNG to sell :xf.wink:

Qatargas.com 11 letters
LNG.company 10 letters

everyone who is looking for LNG Company will find me
and LNG is a HUGE business

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquefied_natural_gas

•••
.co is short and can work well for companies to get a nice short keyword or brand if the .com is out of budget or not available.

•••
i got LNG.Company ( short and to the point )

https://www.namepros.com/threads/lng-company-liquefied-natural-gas-for-sale.984987/

Qatar is the richiest country in the world
why ?
they have a lot of LNG to sell :xf.wink:

Qatargas.com 11 letters
LNG.company 10 letters

everyone who is looking for LNG Company will find me
and LNG is a HUGE business

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquefied_natural_gas

That all makes perfect sense and I wish you the best of luck with that domain. If one of those companies want it, you'll have a very nice payday.

My problem with all new extensions is that 99.99% of the worlds population don't even know they exist or would recognise it as a web address.

It's the .com after the word(s) that tells everyday people it's a website address.

As was mentioned in the podcast, there are so many new extensions around now, it's just a big confusing mess.

As it is, users just have to remember the websites name, the .com after is automatic. Users won't want to have to remember the name and which extension it is. Just my opinion.

•••
I'm talking about increasing the value of aftermarket domains - names already owned by domainers that these companies would want to buy from us. More specifically the .com's relevant to their industry.

Isn't the whole basis of domining having companies that want to buy domain names from investors?

the domain name aftermarket prices will automatically increase over time and those that will benefit the most will be those that bought well and continue to refuse all offers to sell the quality domains they bought at reg fee

•••
That all makes perfect sense and I wish you the best of luck with that domain. If one of those companies want it, you'll have a very nice payday.

My problem with all new extensions is that 99.99% of the worlds population don't even know they exist or would recognise it as a web address.

It's the .com after the word(s) that tells everyday people it's a website address.

As was mentioned in the podcast, there are so many new extensions around now, it's just a big confusing mess.

As it is, users just have to remember the websites name, the .com after is automatic. Users won't want to have to remember the name and which extension it is. Just my opinion.

there are many big registrars ( Godaddy and other ) who wanna make the new extensions more popular

:xf.wink:

watch htis

https://www.namepros.com/threads/ne...-the-right-domain-name-extension-gtld.986487/

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back