Dynadot

Beware of early transfer out from Namecheap

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Apparently, I seem to have lost a year on a domain renewal was "revoked" as I transferred out a few days before 45 days of their renewal, which I paid for.
i won an auction, paid the auction, paid $14.xx for renewal to get a domain with 11 months on it. thats ok, it was 30 days or so expired, showed up in my account with 2024 expiry (this post 2023). All okie dokie. i immediately transfer out, no 60 day hostage hold like GD, it shows up with the winning registrar NB with the same 2024 expiry when it should be 2025.
with a support exchange, they claim that i should have waited 45 days to transfer out or risk a renewal "revocation" I did a search of "45" and found a buried statement .of such, which is a first for me. OK I get it. If thats the case, they should have a statement alongside of make sure your domain is unlocked etc. on their transfer out prompt, or even a 45 day transfer out block. this glitch seems to only be with pre redemption expired 5 day or so auction. a 5-10 day lock would do the trick if they cant fix that bug.
Im still looking for a place for upwards of 1000 domains to reside......i cant seen to find straight forward and cheap...
Checking with Icaan, the losing registrar gets a refund if a domain is transfered within the 45 day grace period. But they charged me for it.
A note to all registrars. Just be upfront and straight forward. its very rewarding to retain big domain portfolios.
EDIT: Namecheap has kindly refunded my renewal charge. Another rep emailed me.
All is well!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back