IT.COM

advice Best way to negotiate down a significant counter offer?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi,

I made an offer at Sedo on a word+word.com domain in April. The minimum bid was listed as $1,000, so I put in a bid of $1,000.
The seller came back yesterday, about 6 weeks later, with a counteroffer of $16,000 and no comment.

Estibot puts it at less then $100. My personal opinion is it's worth about $2,000 - It's plural .com is registered, but not resolving to a host, it's not a commonly searched term, and almost all ccTLDs are available. However, I've become somewhat attached and would be willing to spend up to $4,000.

What's the appropriate way to negotiate? $16,000 is a huge jump. Between that and the time taken to respond I also wonder if they're legitimately interested in selling. I don't want to pay more than is necessary or want to waste anyone's time.

Should I just find something else at this point?
Is it rude to counter with something substantially less, like $2,000?
Is it worth getting / or too late to get someone to negotiate on my behalf? (Unfortunately we haven't established comms though the notes attached on the offers - So it's really just $$ at this point)

Thanks - I've been out of the game for a while so be gentle :o)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This is a very normal thing,
Every domain name seller hopes to sell his domain name at a high price,
At the same time, I hope that the domain name I bought can be ultra-low,
But on this matter, it is difficult to reach an agreement

•••
Make an offer put an expiry date of 7 days as you still need to complete your project in time frame and will go with next most suitable if a decision can't be made in 7 days.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back