Dynadot

advice Best way to make an offer for a reacquired lapsed domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

lindner

Impact
Hi folks, Looking for advice.

I've been slowly reacquiring domains that obscure 90s icon Ana Voog lost a few years ago due to a mix up with Network Solutions. I've managed to purchase an*voog.com/net/org and an*2.com. I missed that her domain an*cam.com was up for auction last October and sold for $212. :'( (The content-scrapers that had it probably used up all the link SEO...)

Anyway the current owner, Danny Sullivan, is listing it at $9995. Landing page is on dan.com and I see that it's also listed at Alternic. I sent email to the technical contact asking about making an offer, did not hear back.

I'm happy to pay a premium to acquire this, just not at a 47x markup. Should I just make an offer on Alternic? Suck it up and wait? Danny -- if you're out there, would love to negotiate...

Thanks in advance, wish I'd have found this place a long time ago....

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
since this is in the beginner section, I will suggest that you obfuscate the domain names a little.

otherwise,your post might show up in internet searches for a particular domain.

•••
•••
And I mean Afternic, not Alternic. Sorry for confusing those two.

•••
What he paid has nothing to do with what he will sell it for. People price their domains how they want to.

You can continue to watch for it to drop in the years to come or make a good offer. If its out of your budget maybe he will give you a discount or a payment plan.

Last thing you should do is approach someone saying I know what you paid for it. That will be ignored. Do you tell stores how dare you mark this up I know what you paid? There is a difference between retail and wholesale in any market. Domains are not excluded.

Good luck to you and welcome to NP

•••
Thank your karmaco. I of course wouldn't lead with the price.

However if I'm buying a house and it doesn't appraise I'd use that to ask for concessions in a negotiation. The last auction in October is the most current appraisal. If I could hire a buyers agent I'd LOOOOVE that. Someone that takes a commission to buy with an incentive to get the best price.

Anyway I'm not buying this up to build some business, it's restoration work. I built this internet in the 90s and work with the Internet Archive to try to keep things alive. This domain is one piece of history that needs to be kept around.

Thanks for your advice folks..

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back