IT.COM

question Best domain checklist tips?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

redemo

Mug RuithTop Member
Impact
This is my 30-point checklist before I register a domain name. Which points would you add or remove from this list? Thanks to the Namepros member who helped me to create this list today.

Domain Registration Checklist

1. Extension

2. English words

3. Number of words

4. Search Volume

5. Rosener Equation

6. Length

7. Characters

8. TLD's taken

9. Type in traffic

10. Past sales

11. Ads

12. Social networks

13. CPC

14. Spam

15. Backlinks

16. Number of company names

17. Radio test

18. Age

19. Brandable

20. Generic

21. Trademark-free

22. Current registrar

23. Renewal cost

24. Industry

25. Market trends

26. Solve a problem names

27. Looks good lower case

28. Word or words don't begin with confusing letters

29. Keywords appropriate to extension

30. Memorable

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Will have to check for hyphenated words too ?

•••
I'm thinking this list would only be useful BEFORE auction end date or domain expiry date or if you are buying a domain from someone.

Hi

i agree
you have good perception to see where it fits, in the scheme of things.

as i alluded to before,
in general, a newbie in wouldn't know what the majority of those items in the list are, or how they might be relevant to each domain decision, or even how to validate, verify each, independently.

there is a learning curve involved for each item, before they can be compiled and used in entirety.

imo...

•••
@biggie I have spent a great deal of time learning and testing out different people's suggestions. Now it's time to follow one checklist. My head has got too full with ideas. I need just one direction (but not the band).

•••
I would base criteria from seo suggested results over the topic suggested although close. I have sites to analyse your sites.

Last edited:
•••
@lock "I would base criteria from seo suggested results over the topic suggested although close. I have sites to analyse your sites" I'm sorry mate not following?

•••
I assume you compiled list on experience but it doesn't equate to a result as never know how much work ends in the resut. These are tips on what to do but best way to get tips is to host it and keep solving the problem in why lacking seo points on testing.

•••
@lock I compiled the list from limited experience but mainly from Namepros threads, quick Google search and a Namepros member sent me a private message.

•••
You are doing ok it is all specualtion till you buy host the domain then it is testing. Dont fuss yourself with the webmasters job if want to stick with domaining.

•••
Thanks for a quite comprehensive list, @redemo - even though not all apply to all domain names and acquisitions, always nice to have a long checklist.

I am not sure I agree re English. Yes, majority of words that sell are English but significant numbers in a few other languages, especially Spanish. I would say be sure you are proficient in language that the name is in.

One thing a bit different from the radio test (which as I define it is basically if someone hears the name they can remember and spell it correctly) is how the name sounds. Some names sound playful or lively, others solid, etc. For brands, I think this is important, although hard to precisely apply.

Thanks again for a good list.

Bob

•••
Yap! I agree with your list but some of the items like 8,9 and 10 are not possible for .com new reg domains but as you said they can be useful for other extensions but not quite ok for new reg .com. Like knowing the traffic for new handreg .com is no longer possible.
Though I stand to be corrected on those items I litsed if anyone can correct me.

In addition; rarity of the related keyword can also be of advantage for new regs

Thanks for your imputs for new bies like me on handregs

Cheers

Last edited:
•••
For regging domains I think it's fine to go with your gut but when making a purchase for a significant amount of money you better use a list to make sure you're not buying a useless domain....

•••
I can't afford to spend more than $ 50 for domain name acquisitions at this stage. It's something of an arbitrary amount but there it is. Still $ 50 is $ 50 and I hate the idea of registering a name and not making at least a 1000 % profit in whatever form that takes. $ 500 return on $ 50 investment again it's an arbitrary sum also it's achievable. Therefore my three most important questions are first is it .com, co.uk, .org, .org.uk extensions? second do the words make sense in standard English? third is it searched at least 10000 times each month on google? Ideally 200000 times. I can negotiate with myself on all the other points but I need a yes to each of the leading three questions.

•••
do the words make sense in standard English?

Hi

if,
the words make sense,
then they might make cents
and that is,
common sense.

is it sensible,
to invest in non .com
with limited budget
and unknown hold time, for such.
maybe, but not much

is search volume relevant,
for new idea, concept or creation?

imo...

•••
@biggie I only go after names with search volume. It's like a safety rail if the "for sale" was a fail I can get out of jail and prevail full-scale on the development trail or with advertisements sent by email. Perfect portfolio is 10 or 20 developed sites with ads and 20 or 30 high quality names on sale. 50 names in total.

Last edited:
•••
My domain evaluation list:

Domain name: .com is the best.
GoDaddy appraisal value: the higher, the better, also check similar sales
Length: the shorter, the better. Max. 15 characters. No hyphens, no numbers.
Syllables: the less syllables, the better. More than 4 syllables is generally too much. Ideal count is 1-3 syllables.
Word count: ideally max 2 words (if the domain contains dictionary words)
Number of trademarks: ideally zero, check USPTO and WIPO
Cambridge Dictionary meaning: carefully study the meanings of the words inside the domain one by one, avoid words with negative connotations, and check what a word really means according to the dictionary.
UrbanDictionary meaning: also important
Google text search: search on Google using the whole domain name and using the words from it, what can you see?
Google image search: again, use the whole domain and the words from it, you shouldn't see bad images, and you should see images which are relevant to your domain.
Search volume: the more, the better
CPC (cost per click) and industry: the higher, the better, you need keywords with high commercial intent. The domain should be related to a strong industry with high commercial intent, see the industries with the highest CPC values here. (taken from this article where they analyzed CPC values)
TLD reg count (dotDB): check on dotDB
SLD reg count active websites (dotDB): if you have a paid subscription, check the number of active websites with dotDB. SLD is Second Level Domain, so if the domain is example.com, then the SLD is example. Check with dotDB how many active websites use the keyword example in their domain names. The more, the better.
Radio test pass? not super important IMHO, since most people will just click on a link to visit your website
Word order correct? if it is a two-word domain, then the word order should make sense
Words rhyme?
Alliteration?
Google Trends - check the trends of the keywords
Statista trends - you can also check relevant industry statistics
Historical use clean? - use Archive.org for this
Year created - the older, the better
Crunchbase companies - the more companies you can find using the keywords from the domain, the better
LinkedIn companies - same as above
Brandbucket.com, Squadhelp.com and Alter.com domains - the more domain names you can find on these websites using the keywords from the domain, the better
Namebio - check previous sales, the more domains you can find for high prices, the better
Squadhelp previous sales - also check the previous sales on Squadhelp if you have access to this feature (you need a certain number of active domains on Squadhelp)
Common sense and would you purchase this domain for your own company? Finally, use your common sense, is it a good domain or not? Is it short, catchy, memorable, does it sound good? Would you use this domain for your own company, would you print it on your business card?

Although I don't always use every list item when checking a domain.

Last edited:
•••
@Charybdis I've added some of your points to my checklist. Thank you for contributing so much information. I'll post the updated list soon.

Number of syllables

Check USPTO and WIPO trademarks

Cambridge Dictionary meaning (Merriam Webster is also good)

Check Urban Dictionary

Google images search

TLD and SLD registered count

Words rhyme

Alliteration

Google trends

Statista trends

Archive.org

Crunch base companies

Linkedin companies

Brand marketplace keywords usage

Namebio and Squad Help past sales

Looks good on business card

•••
Once you're hosted be sure to run your site through some of my seo optimisation tools they will produce a checklist.

Last edited:
•••
@lock Which tools are you using? Is it for pre or post registration checks? Cheers.

Last edited:
•••
I own most sites listed on free.marketing bit of a link farm but the sites aren't.

Last edited:
•••
@lock valuation.site I love it. Edit: This gave me the idea to check usage of the social media not just if they are taken but how they are being used. Thanks for sharing. I've added it to my checks.

Last edited:
•••
@Charybdis I've added some of your points to my checklist. Thank you for contributing so much information. I'll post the updated list soon.

Number of syllables

Check USPTO and WIPO trademarks

Cambridge Dictionary meaning (Merriam Webster is also good)

Check Urban Dictionary

Google images search

TLD and SLD registered count

Words rhyme

Alliteration

Google trends

Statista trends

Archive.org

Crunch base companies

Linkedin companies

Brand marketplace keywords usage

Namebio and Squad Help past sales

Looks good on business card

Squadhelp past sales are not available anymore.

I added the Alter.com appraisal tool to my domain appraisal spreadsheet, I think it is very accurate!

And also check https://opencorporates.com/ for the number of businesses using a specific keyword.

•••
I plan to be back soon messing around breaking more than fixing at present.

•••
I plan to be back soon messing around breaking more than fixing at present.
Please come back. You always have useful information. Cheers.

•••
Hi

by the time you go thru all that bull :poop: on that list,
the name might get regged by somebody else

i just go on gut feeling.

imo....
The only bull :poop: is your responses.

imo

•••
Hi

that is true, depending on how you do

but when i started, majority of items on that list weren't even being considered.

one went for .com first and other things were based on common sense choices or decisions.

back then, you didn't know if a domain had traffic, unless it had overture score with extension included.
so, how can one put it on the list today, when you don't know if an unregistered name will get traffic?

sometimes i think, newbies get bombarded with too many metrics to check, some of which you can't verify or validate.

imo...
You keep going on gut @biggie but that's not the purpose of this thread.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back