Dynadot

advice Best choice for TLD (and domain name in general... newbie!)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

prb123

Established Member
Impact
Hello there! :-D

I'm a "domain registration newbie", and perhaps you can help me figure out what is the best domain name for my business.

My question concerns what's the best choice from several different scenarios. I'm trying to decide on choosing a TLD (.COM versus the more expensive .CONSULTING and .SERVICES), and I'm also trying to figure out what's a smart choice for the first part of the domain name.

I know a little bit about marketing, but I don't know how much how Google searches work. For example, from a search engine perspective, is there any value in paying more for a TLD that's either .SERVICES or .CONSULTING, if my line of business is consulting?

Here's the scenario (which I've fictionalized in order to protect my business ideas):

Say my name is Fred Martin and I provide farm management consulting services. I advise farmers on how to best run their farms. I would like to incorporate both my name and my line of business in my domain name (and the fact that they kind of rhyme gives me, from a marketing perspective, a bit of an advantage).

My first choice was "FMFM.com", which is already owned, as is " FMFM.net". I don't want " FMFM.biz" because I don't really like "biz" in general… sounds kind of flaky. So, I’m considering the following 16 alternatives:

My possibilities for TLD = .COM are:

1. FMFMConsulting.com

2. FMFMWeb.com

3. FMFarmManagement.com

4. FredMartinFarmManagement.com

…and my possibilities for TLD = .CONSULTING are:

5. FMFM.consulting

6. FMFarmManagement.consulting

7. FredMartinFarmManagement.consulting

8. FarmManagement.consulting

OR… I could consider using the word "services" instead of "consulting", which would suggest the following choices for TLD = .COM:

9. FMFMServices.com

10. FMFMWeb.com

11. FMFarmManagement.com

12. FredMartinFarmManagement.com

… and finally, the following possibilities for TLD = .SERVICES:

13. FMFM.services

14. FMFarmManagement.services

15. FredMartinFarmManagement.services

16. FarmManagement.services

Note: the capitalization is for my marketing purposes only; I realize that the URLs are not case-dependent – but if do you have any capitalization suggestions, I'd be grateful for them too!

Anyways, which would be your Top 3 choices, and why? Once again, I know a little bit about marketing but I really don't know what would be the "technical" advantages (e.g.Google visibility) of choosing .COM versus .CONSULTING versus .SERVICES.

Thank you very much for whatever input you can provide, and have a great day! :-D

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
In that order of preference.

This is a raging debate these days but imho .com will always be the go to however I chose #5 due to length and brandability. 1 & 3 are good because they are fairly short for a descriptive .com and should be able to rank well with Google. Ultimately I would buy all 3 of the above mentioned options, pick one as the main and redirect the other 2.

•••
First I'd narrow the search down to dot com because that's the standard. Doing otherwise is like printing business cards in a size other than 3.5 x 2 inches. Different doesn't work. Next I'd take a shot at your first choice name, the 4-letter dot com. Short and sweet rules. We may be talking a couple grand or less. If the budget cap is $XX then I'd pick one above like FMFarmManagement.com or a compromise such as:

fmfmcs.com - short ugly abbreviation
farmmanagementconsulting.com - long generic descriptive
fredmartinconsulting.com - long branded descriptive

Incorporating your personal name and line of business in a domain name sounds nice but keep in mind that anything over ~12 letters is pushing your luck. Also think hard before registering multiple names because the redirect traffic volume will probably be nil.

Good luck!

Last edited:
•••
Personally I would cut out the initials...no one other than you is going to know what FMFM stands for...even regular customers may not remember it. Only huge corporations can get away with people remembering their initials. I also agree with the above posts to focus on getting a .com. Personally, I would try for alternatives that are shortened...like MartinManagement.com or MartinFarms.com. Easy, short and to the point. No need to include your full name and a lengthy description of what you do.

•••
I think you should choose 1,2,3,9, because .com is usually better than others extension.

1. FMFMConsulting.com
2. FMFMWeb.com
3. FMFarmManagement.com
9. FMFMServices.com

And more, these names also contain the keyword you want such as consulting, management,...that's good for your business. I think so.

•••
The initials can be weird at times especially if you can't get an all acronym domain (fmfm). I'd say it's safest to go #4 if you're using it as a brand for yourself. In terms of resale value none of the non-fmfm names will have any value to investors

•••
In that order of preference.

This is a raging debate these days but imho .com will always be the go to however I chose #5 due to length and brandability. 1 & 3 are good because they are fairly short for a descriptive .com and should be able to rank well with Google. Ultimately I would buy all 3 of the above mentioned options, pick one as the main and redirect the other 2.
THANKS Ang! Wow, it didn't take long for me to get some help on this question! :)

•••
First I'd narrow the search down to dot com because that's the standard. Doing otherwise is like printing business cards in a size other than 3.5 x 2 inches. Different doesn't work. Next I'd take a shot at your first choice name, the 4-letter dot com. Short and sweet rules. We may be talking a couple grand or less. If the budget cap is $XX then I'd pick one above like FMFarmManagement.com or a compromise such as:

fmfmcs.com - short ugly abbreviation
farmmanagementconsulting.com - long generic descriptive
fredmartinconsulting.com - long branded descriptive

Incorporating your personal name and line of business in a domain name sounds nice but keep in mind that anything over ~12 letters is pushing your luck. Also think hard before registering multiple names because the redirect traffic volume will probably be nil.

Good luck!
Great suggestions, ecalc... thank you!

•••
Personally I would cut out the initials...no one other than you is going to know what FMFM stands for...even regular customers may not remember it. Only huge corporations can get away with people remembering their initials. I also agree with the above posts to focus on getting a .com. Personally, I would try for alternatives that are shortened...like MartinManagement.com or MartinFarms.com. Easy, short and to the point. No need to include your full name and a lengthy description of what you do.
Thank you, todaygold. I agree with trying to keep it shorter... but the problem is, personal branding is all about your name - and the name "FM" is meaningless, whereas "Fred Martin" identifies me - and if someone Googles "Fred Martin farming consulting", won't that help Google to cough up my website on the first page of results?

•••
I think you should choose 1,2,3,9, because .com is usually better than others extension.

1. FMFMConsulting.com
2. FMFMWeb.com
3. FMFarmManagement.com
9. FMFMServices.com

And more, these names also contain the keyword you want such as consulting, management,...that's good for your business. I think so.
Good advice, daica85 - but isn't it better to have "consulting" as the TLD extension rather than just having "consulting" in the part that comes before it? I mean, if I'm paying a lot more for a ".CONSULTING" TLD than for a ".COM" TLD, doesn't that have any advantage with regards to my visibility to search engines?

Last edited:
•••
Its nice too see people that research both names / china and so much more.

•••
The initials can be weird at times especially if you can't get an all acronym domain (fmfm). I'd say it's safest to go #4 if you're using it as a brand for yourself. In terms of resale value none of the non-fmfm names will have any value to investors
That's a good point, pogba - I didn't think about resale value (not that it matters to me very much; I'm just a solopreneur with a very small business...)

•••
So, it seems nobody is in favour of using TLDs other than .COM ... but wouldn't .CONSULTING be a better TLD for consultants, and .SERVICES for any person/company that renders services? I'm thinking more about the Google search perspective than the marketing aspects... I really need to educate myself about how Google ranks things, so if you know of a good online resource for that, I'd appreciate knowing about it too.

Thank you again everyone for your ideas - a delightful first experience for me in this forum! Have a great weekend.

•••
Its nice too see people that research both names / china and so much more.
I'm trying to put a little thought into this, stimpi777! So hopefully I'll be glad I did, if it helps me with my business marketing.

•••
FMFM.services and FMFMservices.com (prevent from traffic leaking)
Redirect FMFMservices.com to FMFM.services

Last edited:
•••
Assuming this scenario: you are looking for a name for your business, not to resell it.
There is one option that was strangely overlooked: buy an existing domain name from somebody... for instance fmfm.com is for sale. It might be beyond your budget but at least you see you have some options...

fmfmconsulting.com is available.
But you actually have one more option: try branding around something else than fmfm (which is not very sexy). Sure you can still use your personal name... be creative.

So, it seems nobody is in favour of using TLDs other than .COM ... but wouldn't .CONSULTING be a better TLD for consultants, and .SERVICES for any person/company that renders services?
Look around you, have you seen a lot of competitors or ordinary businesses using those strings ? If you did, do you think you would get a competitive edge ? Or risk confusing potential customers ?
If you can find a suitable .com I don't think you need to take a chance with an oddball extension.

I really need to educate myself about how Google ranks things
Don't fixate on SEO, SEO is shifting sands anyway. Focus on branding and the long term instead... The domain name alone is not going to do much for SEO... so one should never buy a TLD just for SEO purposes. Google will find you anyway, as long as you have a website with relevant content.

•••
1. FMFMConsulting.com

3. FMFarmManagement.com

You might consider 3. FMFarmManagement.com to avoid any conflict or lost traffic to FMConsulting.com (established site)

If you have to go new gTLD route there is the .farm TLD and FM.farm is around $110 to renew each year its short and easy to remember.

Last edited:
•••
One more thing :)
and if someone Googles "Fred Martin farming consulting", won't that help Google to cough up my website on the first page of results?
That means people already know you, they would find you anyway. The aim of SEO is to get new customers, who don't know you yet.
People using search engines will usually type field of activity + geo area to get business listings, not the other way round.

I think your name + consulting would be a good combination for branding purposes.
The problem with 'fmfm' is that if you want to diversify outside of the farm field, your domain name might no longer be relevant. I would choose something that is broad enough. Consulting is fine.

•••
One more thing :)

That means people already know you, they would find you anyway. The aim of SEO is to get new customers, who don't know you yet.
People using search engines will usually type field of activity + geo area to get business listings, not the other way round.

I think your name + consulting would be a good combination for branding purposes.
The problem with 'fmfm' is that if you want to diversify outside of the farm field, your domain name might no longer be relevant. I would choose something that is broad enough. Consulting is fine.
Thanks for all of these great ideas, Kate! I really appreciate the time you took to address my concerns.

•••
1. FMFMConsulting.com

3. FMFarmManagement.com

You might consider 3. FMFarmManagement.com to avoid any conflict or lost traffic to FMConsulting.com (established site)

If you have to go new gTLD route there is the .farm TLD and FM.farm is around $110 to renew each year its short and easy to remember.
Thank you, doubleU. That's a good idea you have about .FARM :)

•••
Well, I would suggest other variations :xf.wink:

FredMartinPro.com

FredMartinPros.com

•••
•••
Back