Dynadot

question Beginning of the end for "Urban" as a keyword?

NameSilo
Watch

NickB

it's a mysteryTop Member
Impact
Found this quite an interesting story today on the BBC

Drake and Ariana Grande's record label drops the term 'urban'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52962626

"Republic Records, one of the most powerful record labels in the US, will stop using the word "urban" to describe music of black origin.

The company, which is home to Drake and Ariana Grande, says it will no longer use the term to describe "departments, employee titles and music genres".

"We encourage the rest of the music industry to follow suit," it added.

The term is often considered to be a generalisation that marginalises music by black artists."

The keyword has some decent sales history according to Namebio, with over 30 sales this year and 507 in total.

The biggest reported sale was for $25,000 back in 2017 for UrbanLegends.com

Will be interesting to see if this has an impact outside of the music industry for this keyword.....

2020 sales to date (2 just yesterday from BuyDomains)

urbanwriters.com 2,288 USD 2020-06-01 BuyDomains
urbancabins.com 1,088 USD 2020-06-01 BuyDomains
tentcityurbanism.com 1,000 USD 2020-05-31 GoDaddy
urban365.com 110 USD 2020-05-28 GoDaddy
urbannewsservice.com 186 USD 2020-05-25 GoDaddy
laurbanasf.com 306 USD 2020-05-23 GoDaddy
urbangreenhouses.com 1,088 USD 2020-05-19 BuyDomains
urbananimals.com 2,288 USD 2020-05-13 BuyDomains
urbanfabrics.com 2,388 USD 2020-05-04 BuyDomains
urbanfleet.com 144 USD 2020-04-24 NameJet
urbanr.com 335 USD 2020-04-23 GoDaddy
mdsuburbanhomes.com 181 USD 2020-04-17 GoDaddy
luxeurban.com 127 USD 2020-04-15 GoDaddy
urbanknowledge.com 124 USD 2020-04-15 GoDaddy
urbanlinens.com 113 USD 2020-04-15 GoDaddy
gurbangulyberdimuhamedow.com 102 USD 2020-04-06 GoDaddy
urbantitan.com 406 USD 2020-04-05 GoDaddy
theurbanpear.com 105 USD 2020-03-29 GoDaddy
urbanquiltworks.com 103 USD 2020-03-24 GoDaddy
urbanfilm.com 296 USD 2020-03-17 GoDaddy
theurbandaddy.com 222 USD 2020-03-17 GoDaddy
urbanphilosophy.com 2,500 USD 2020-03-09 BuyDomains
urbanarborist.com 161 USD 2020-03-08 DropCatch
urbanorganic.com 850 USD 2020-03-07 NameJet
urbanmint.com 163 USD 2020-02-26 GoDaddy
theurbanfox.com 138 USD 2020-02-12 DropCatch
urbanbody.com 676 USD 2020-02-11 GoDaddy
theurbangardeners.com 595 USD 2020-02-11 GoDaddy
urbanclassic.com 468 USD 2020-02-09 GoDaddy
urbanera.com 489 USD 2020-01-26 GoDaddy
urbanretreats.com 437 USD 2020-01-26 GoDaddy
armywifetosuburbanlife.com 101 USD 2020-01-24 GoDaddy
urban-fusions.com 105 USD 2020-01-20 GoDaddy
urbanwaste.com 560 USD 2020-01-14 GoDaddy
urbanrustic.com 248 USD 2020-01-07 DropCatch
urbanwinery.com 1,175 USD 2020-01-04 GoDaddy
urbanvista.com 194 USD 2020-01-03 DropCatch

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
hmmm bye bye UrbanOutfitters.com? I worked security for this store in NYC.

I wonder what the rename will be?

WokeOutfitters.com?

•••

WokeOutfitters.com?
Established Brands are one thing, new companies/websites looking for names in the music and potentially other industries might have a second think before buying or registering a "Urban" domain......

Last edited:
•••
Hi

I highly doubt it
as "urban" is typically used to describe "city life" in the "trendy" sense, not so much about ethnicity.
specifically when it applies to fashion, style, furniture, home décor, etc.

I have UrbanFlair.com and UrbanDepot.com and both have received offers.

imo…

•••
Hi

I highly doubt it
as "urban" is typically used to describe "city life" in the "trendy" sense, not so much about ethnicity.

imo…
The article only came out today, I think "Urban" as a keyword related to music and related industries is going to be killed off. This is a big record label we are talking about and more will follow suit, this will then start to impact the film industry as they supply soundtracks etc etc - any further knock on effects? Only time will tell I suppose....

•••
Established Brands are one thing, new companies/websites looking for names in the music and potentially other industries might have a second think before buying or registering a "Urban" domain......

yea well if the music industry is setting the "example" many businesses are just copying the trend. This looks to be a trend that will stick for good reason.

Never thought of "urban" as a bad thing until now reading your post.

It sorta makes sense and to millennials and woke culture it will too.

In a time where companies like J.Crew and maybe even Brooks Brothers. Pier1 are filing for bankruptcy?

Other clothing companies below.

Aldo
True Religion
Modell's Sporting Goods
Neiman Marcus
Debenhams

And those are just the clothing ones. I got the list above from the link below. So many more companies on the list. You'll be surprised what companies are on the list. believe me.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hanktu...s-are-failing-amid-the-shutdown/#49da521f3425

Last edited:
•••
Hi

I highly doubt it

imo…

It's scary though Biggie. These days say the wrong thing or align yourself with something that's against the status quo or the current mindset even though we live in a society where free speech and thinking supposedly still exists. It just might be thee end of the word "urban".

Between Drake and Ariane each one has a huge following.

each follower is their own voice.

Voices can be Swayed by their "gods".

All the "gods" have to say is "oh. you shouldn't be using urban anymore. That's not Woke."

and game over. We shall see though.

•••
yea well if the music industry is setting the "example" many businesses are just copying the trend. This looks to be a trend that will stick for good reason.

Never thought of "urban" as a bad thing until now reading your post.

It sorta makes sense and to millennials and woke culture it will too.

In a time where companies like J.Crew and maybe even Brooks Brothers. Pier1

Other clothing companies below.

Aldo
True Religion
Modell's Sporting Goods
Neiman Marcus
Debenhams

And those are just the clothing ones. I got the list above from the link below. So many more companies on the list. You'll be surprised what companies are on the list. believe me.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hanktu...s-are-failing-amid-the-shutdown/#49da521f3425
Yeah, I personally think it is an outdated description after reading the article and people's opinion who work in the industry and are affected by it.

From a domaining perspective it's just another data point to bear in mind.....

•••
This is a big record label we are talking about and more will follow suit, this will then start to impact the film industry as they supply soundtracks etc etc - any further knock on effects?

Hi

record labels and their artists, only have some effect, if any..... when they are at the top of the charts

as soon as new artist or another artist comes out with new hit or revived oldie or sample of past w/Dr Dre beats.... then their news becomes old news.

additionally, there are many other labels atop or that rival them, some with longer track records of success.

so, don't think one record label will stop the show

imo...

•••
Yeah, I personally think it is an outdated description after reading the article and people's opinion who work in the industry and are affected by it.

From a domaining perspective it's just another data point to bear in mind.....

scary stuff none the less to domainers. Something like this can happen to any keyword these days. Someone should make a list of "questionable" or possibly goes against "woke" culture keywords.

•••
Hi

record labels and their artists, only have some effect, if any..... when they are at the top of the charts

as soon as new artist or another artist comes out with new hit or revived oldie or sample of past w/Dr Dre beats.... then their news becomes old news.

additionally, there are many other labels atop or that rival them, some with longer track records of success.

imo...

we all know this company just did this for publicity as always and it's very timely because of George Floyd.

my problem is. Didn't anyone think of this in this company when they first started using this term?

seems pretty obvious the way they describe it now.

"The term is often considered to be a generalisation that marginalises music by black artists."

They new this going into using it but used it anyway all this time. I guess looking like you are "waking up" is good for business and will show in an uptick in record sales. Seriously do they care? or just good for business?

They'll get some press for this change.

and here's why I think it will catch on.

"We encourage the rest of the music industry to follow suit,"

That might as well translate to.

""if you are not with us you are against us."

•••
Someone should make a list of "questionable" or possibly goes against "woke" culture keywords.

Hi

excuse me while I hit this first ...….. ahhh...

if "woke" is a culture word,
then that means those who follow drake and ariane must still be sleep

they aren't politician's and shouldn't be in a position to decide such decisions.
their lyrics didn't put them on top of charts, because they were speaking from "urban" perspectives

they got to top, because they sang commercial radio friendly songs

they wasn't singing or rapping social conscious recordings like NWA, 2pac, Public Enemy, etc

so, now, to be talking like they "woke", is more about something else, to me.

puff puff....

imo...
-

•••
Hi

excuse me while I hit this first ...….. ahhh...

if "woke" is a culture word,
then that means those who follow drake and ariane must still be sleep

they aren't politician's and shouldn't be in a position to decide such decisions.
their lyrics didn't put them on top of charts, because they were speaking from "urban" perspectives

they got to top, because they sang commercial radio friendly songs

they wasn't singing or rapping social conscious recordings like NWA, 2pac, Public Enemy, etc

so, now, to be talking like they "woke", is more about something else, to me.

puff puff....

imo...
-

is that a 420 Preach? lol

Bong or Spliff Biggie? (y) Fronto Leaf or Dutchmasters? lol

Exactly. I still think of these two as this.

854362_w980h638c1cx353cy174.jpg

and..............

mgid:ao:image:mtv.com:203799

Last edited:
•••
is that a 420 Preach? lol

hey... just saying,

who you gonna be woke with, if you gonna be woke at all

remember, 911 was a joke, long time ago

imo...

•••
Hi

imo...
Sony springs to mind and they are quite a diversified company, not just involved in Music - will be interesting to see how the competition reacts.....could be a little butterfly effect in the making

Reading you other response - Do like it when you add puff puff...shows your giving the matter some serious thought :xf.wink:

•••
Coming soon in 2020, Season 2 of The Boys. Starring Jack Quaid, Anthony Starr and Karl.

•••
I've never associated "urban" with black culture/music. Urban music can be by anyone of any culture, race or sex.

Virtue signalling and "woke" culture will be the downfall of society. World's gone mad.

•••
But what will they do with all the urban planners? :xf.rolleyes:

•••

WokeOutfitters.com?

So dont invest stock NASDAQ: URBN $21.29?

Rebrand could breathe life thought of them too

Last edited:
•••
As far as music, reminds me of this recently:

Tyler, The Creator Shares How "Urban" Category Feels Racist & Like Backhanded Compliment at GRAMMYs

•••
But what will they do with all the urban planners? :xf.rolleyes:
Good point, wonder how long until we see uni students protesting about urban planning course 😉

•••
But seriously, I personally think the use of the word urban will start to see a decline in the music, film and fashion industry's.

Time will tell if I'm right or wrong....

•••
I think the context outside America may be quite different. Urban doesn't denote segregation in most countries.

•••
I think the context outside America may be quite different. Urban doesn't denote segregation in most countries.
True, but we live in very globally connected world nowadays.

Most large companies don't do business in just one country, so any changes would not just cover the U.S

I'm in the UK and I googled "Urban Films" and the results? All the films that came up at the top in the images depict black actors.....

upload_2020-6-9_8-33-55.jpeg

upload_2020-6-9_8-33-56.jpeg

upload_2020-6-9_8-33-56.jpeg

•••
Never linked the word "Urban" to black people or music. Didn't even know it referred to them.

But I guess everything in America is different.

Oh & why Ariana Grande ? She's not black.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back