IT.COM

Been out of the domain buying/selling for awhile..

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I was here in the beginning of NamePros.com and stopped messing with domains around 2007 or 2008, when traffic domain revenue tanked. I moved over to owning forums and have sold a few names here and there since then, but haven't bought a domain to resale in years. This is maybe my first post here in years to.

How is the domain industry going? What's the next big thing? I notice LLLL.com names have come up in price. I have noticed there are a crap load of new TLDs that the registers are making a killing on. I see the .us TLDs never caught on(I was big on them and still have a few of them). Anyone of the OG members remember me? :D

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I am quite new to the game but happy to see a Veteran Returning to the game.
Welcome Back Shaggy :)

•••
You own cabs.net and your new to the game? Not a bad name to own when you are getting started. :D

•••
I am around for more than 20 months :), but yet I am a newbie as compared to the Veterans who entered game back before 2005
Would really appreciate if you can share your portfolio :)

•••
My portfolio isn't that great. I sold most of the high end ones years ago and keep the ones I thought might still have some value. Just never got around to listing them for sale and just hoped they would sell on Sedo.

I started out picking normal domains off drop but then found out I could make more money picking up traffic names and decided to just got for those types of names as I never really had a chance to get the more expensive names like the one word .coms, or LLL.coms. Traffic names is where I did well. Taking risks with expired sites and pointing them to Sedo/DomainSponsor. Did really well for years.

•••
My portfolio isn't that great. I sold most of the high end ones years ago and keep the ones I thought might still have some value. Just never got around to listing them for sale and just hoped they would sell on Sedo.

I started out picking normal domains off drop but then found out I could make more money picking up traffic names and decided to just got for those types of names as I never really had a chance to get the more expensive names like the one word .coms, or LLL.coms. Traffic names is where I did well. Taking risks with expired sites and pointing them to Sedo/DomainSponsor. Did really well for years.
Everyone has his own niche or more appropriate word will be Flavor of Domaining, you have your own in Similar manner. So they are definitely great domains as they were purchased keeping in mind a proven system,that has worked for you for years.
I was curious to know about LLLL.coms or other domains you hand registered in those days,as when i entered the industry all good names were already gone

•••
The LLLL.com were not that hot back then and didn't have to much value if it wasn't decent letters, as in CVCV, so alot of bad letter LLLL.com were still available. I never jumped on to many of them as I only have about 4 or 5. I have several LLL.us, LLLLL.com, one word .orgs, 2 letter .coms, and so on. I never had more then maybe 400 - 500 names. Now I have around 300 including many forum names.

•••
Hi
Shaggy- 2003 , Great to have u back here

•••
yeah, REALLY cool to see an oldschooler back on the courtyard.... I didn't get involved with domains etc until 2007, had a long stretch here and really learned a lot. Also was less and less involved here over time, distracted by that stuff called life, but working at being more active here, and with domains again, too.

Cool to hear you did well with traffic domains, and developed forums (I tragically failed there), and sold some, kept some over the years. If you are interested in selling any of your llll's, shoot me a pm. But, no matter what, hopefully ya don't take another 5+ year sabbatical from np! Someone that was here, and in the industry, way back then is a HUGE resource to a lot of us and we can really learn from ya, where you care to chime in....

•••
Yea, I may dabble in domains again. Just need to find the right approach so I am not spending a ton on names. Traffic names are out(unless I look into it again and they have picked up since I have been gone) and may go with another route.

Slim, got any forums still that you may want to sell. :)

I started in 2002 and moved here the day RJ started up NP. Was invited over by NameCaster(which I guess he isn't around anymore). Both forums were great resources for the domaining world. Looks like NP maybe a little more active nowadays but still both were great.

•••
Welcome back, Shaggy!

You were leaving as I was arriving to this forum (Summer 2008).

I had started in 2007, but didn't find NP until 2008.

•••
Same with me, I took a break and recent came back. I remember hand regging dozens of LLLL.com per day and selling for $15+ immediately after regging. I guess because people didn't know as much about using tools back then.

•••
The LLLL.com were not that hot back then and didn't have to much value if it wasn't decent letters, as in CVCV, so alot of bad letter LLLL.com were still available
======

Welcome back. As another newbie this is an interesting point...

Hopefully the same happens with 5L.coms, what are the chances I wonder!

•••
yeah anything with j or v was an issue to sell, lol

•••
I remember seeing you around Shaggy. Good to see you here again.

I basically did the same thing. I had a really good roll for a few years contacting and selling to end users and selling on the Moniker auctions, etc.. and then my names started drying up as I sold them and I let a lot of (good ones) drop.

I've been dabbling my way back into the game, learning what's selling again.

Anyway, good luck! Hope to see you in the sold domains thread soon.

•••
Welcome back shaggy, it's been a while.

•••
Same with me, I took a break and recent came back. I remember hand regging dozens of LLLL.com per day and selling for $15+ immediately after regging. I guess because people didn't know as much about using tools back then.
Dropcatching LLL.US for godaddy "cheap coupons" in masse then reselling for profit in bulk. Ah yes.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back