IT.COM

Be careful buying traffic domains.

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
So, I bought a domain in an auction two days ago that was sworn to have 200 uniques a day (right here on namepros). Interestingly, the auctioneer edited all his posts after the auction, so I can't point to a specific thread to show you. Guess how many uniques a day it's received? 2. So, traffic figures can be falsified, that's for sure.
How to avoid this? That's my subject for domain name discussion in this thread. Feel free to post.
John

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If someone screwed you over here at NamePros, I think it is a good idea for you to let us know who so that we can know not to work with that person ourselves in the future. I'm sorry for your loss mate. :-/

•••
Ditto ~

jehnidiah said:
If someone screwed you over here at NamePros, I think it is a good idea for you to let us know who so that we can know not to work with that person ourselves in the future. I'm sorry for your loss mate. :-/

It would definitely be worth posting in the "Private Messages" to staff ...

•••
jehnidiah said:

I agree, let their name be known so we can avoid future dealings

•••
all4cost said:
jehnidiah said:

It would definitely be worth posting in the "Private Messages" to staff ...

Agreed.

Also would suggest you first try to resolve the issue with the seller, perhaps by requesting a return of your payment in exchange for the domain back since it was sold under a the pretence of being a traffic name. An honest seller who make a mistake would usually be willing to honor the request.

•••
false representation!:( ... i would argue for a refund! 2 is very different from 200!

•••
Here’s an idea how about creating a sticky with the names of proven scammers and a description of their crime.

Perhaps "The Thread of Shame", centrally located in the forum for everyone to see.
Also have them instantly banned of course.

This is a great community definitely don't want to see it fall to the scammers.

•••
not to be abusive but to play devils advocate...no traffic is constant.

•••
...but 200 uniques down to 2 is very suspicious unless the seller was genuinely unaware all the traffic came from sources which were about to stop sending it. Especially if the posts making the claims about the traffic mysteriously disappear...

•••
i think that you should get a refund from paypal

•••
SharkBite said:
...but 200 uniques down to 2 is very suspicious unless the seller was genuinely unaware all the traffic came from sources which were about to stop sending it. Especially if the posts making the claims about the traffic mysteriously disappear...

Not to mention the auctioneer edited all the post as johnny6 stated.
What would be the purpose of that?

•••
Ideally when you check for stats you want "Live" stats and not jpg's but that can be hard to get sometimes. Whatever the case, always check how constant the traffic has been. The longer the stats go back - the more reliable the information will be.

•••
-RJ- said:
Agreed.

Also would suggest you first try to resolve the issue with the seller, perhaps by requesting a return of your payment in exchange for the domain back since it was sold under a the pretence of being a traffic name. An honest seller who make a mistake would usually be willing to honor the request.

:bingo:

PM sent to Johnny ... to initiate a new "Private-to-Staff" thread on the matter so that we at Staff™ can be of assistance in successful clarification / resolution here. :talk:
Thanks much.
-Jeff :wave:

•••
WaveMail.com said:
-RJ- said:
Agreed.

:bingo:

PM sent to Johnny ... to initiate a new "Private-to-Staff" thread on the matter so that we at Staff™ can be of assistance in successful clarification / resolution here. :talk:
Thanks much.
-Jeff :wave:
hope it gets solved

•••
ZoNe said:
Not to mention the auctioneer edited all the post as johnny6 stated.
What would be the purpose of that?
I think mods/admin should take care of this fact
On most of the forums like WHT, you are not allowed to edit
the post after 15 minutes of posting
I think the same feature should be implemented here too

•••
superprogrammer said:
I think mods/admin should take care of this fact
I think the same feature should be implemented here too

Nice idea :)

•••
Traffic Domain (with PR6/PR5 back links) is this the auction u r talking about..

best of luck with this. Its stupid for him to edit all his posts after the auction...

But what do u do if u dont want the sell price or other details from getting indexed by search engine .And these kind of things are generally rare at here and The seller will give a refund is what i guess.

•••
1rrr1 said:

I had the same problem with a WHT.com-member. I asked PayPal for a refund, but they denied my request because they don't do refunds when it concerns a "quality" of your domainname.

USTrader

•••
USTrader said:
1rrr1 said:

I had the same problem with a WHT.com-member. I asked PayPal for a refund, but they denied my request because they don't do refunds when it concerns a "quality" of your domainname.

USTrader
never knew that, i thought that they always like to resolve everything fairly

•••
Just wondering how it is now that the DNS has had time to (hopefully) fully propogate?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back