Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
the link to your article isnt working, thx for the report though. :)

•••
•••
Great

Last edited:
•••
The results were a real stinker, especially after ample promotion.

The (lack of) quality and premium renewals certainly didn't help.

Brad

•••
It seems as though all their auctions fall flat. A lot of the niche auctions they run end with a large amount of names without a single bid. I mean if the market deems that half the inventory isn't worth 99 bucks, what does that say about the knowledge of those selecting them? Maybe they need a new team in the auction department.

•••
Sellers would've gotten better prices at SAV.com

•••
The total sales were about $16k - $17k.

At 15% the total commissions for Sedo were around $2500.

They clearly lost money on this auction when you factor in man hours and promotion.

Brad

•••
The total sales were about $16k - $17k.

At 15% the total commissions for Sedo were around $2500.

They clearly lost money on this auction when you factor in man hours and promotion.

Brad

$ponsored auction

•••
$ponsored auction

Well, someone lost a lot of money promoting an auction that got just over $16k in sales.

Brad

•••
Well, someone lost a lot of money promoting an auction that got just over $16k in sales.

But there's more.

1659043932559.png

•••
Only (18) domains even received the minimum $99 bid.

There were 60+ .XYZ alone. When you factor in the other extensions it was well in excess of 100.

These extensions have lower demand than .COM, but most of the selections were just terrible combos.
About 80% of the domains selected were unsellable at any price.

SEDO should be pretty embarrassed by the auction - the inventory, the (lack of) premium renewal disclosures, the results.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Only (18) domains even received the minimum $99 bid.

There were 60+ .XYZ alone. When you factor in the other extensions it was well in excess of 100.

These extensions have lower demand than .COM, but most of the selections were just terrible combos.
About 80% of the domains selected were unsellable at any price.
You're right about the meager auction results. I'm surprised every time. But maybe it's not the most important revenue stream for them. By closing smart promotional deals with TLDs throughout the year, they undoubtedly earn more.

Last edited:
•••
You're right about the meager auction results, I'm surprised every time. But maybe it's not the most important revenue stream for them. By closing smart promotional deals with TLDs throughout the year, they undoubtedly earn more.

I guess, but I would argue that it hurts both their credibility and the credibility of the extensions when they put up results like this.

Brad

•••
I guess, but I would argue that it hurts both their credibility and the credibility of the extensions when they put up results like this.
Agree.

•••
It's actually quite remarkable that an auction powerhouse like Sedo, which generates a lot of buzz, still fails to capture (catch?) more for the domains in auctions.

Last edited:
•••
It's actually quite remarkable that an auction powerhouse like Sedo, which generates a lot of buzz, still fails to capture (catch?) more for the domains in auctions.

I am not sure they are really the powerhouse they used to be, but that aside they would be far better served with fewer, higher quality domains, all with standard renewal fees.

This type of auction with a bunch of trash, random renewal prices, etc. is not ideal.

If they had only Base.xyz quality domains with standard renewal fees it probably would have done better. It doesn't help anyone to include a bunch of marginal domains with varying renewal fees.

SEDO has to take a lot of blame for this. I have seen some of the rejected submissions which were far better than most domains in the auction.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I am not sure they are really the powerhouse they used to be
Their strategy and marketing materials aimed at TLD registries are very well organized.

The execution however could be so much better.

Attachments

• Sedo_ProductSheet_Registry_Marketing.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 49
  • SEDO-new-gTLD-brochure-registry-services.pdf
    774.8 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
•••
Base in XYZ is nice. At 5K, regular renewal, someone may have gotten a steal here.

I agree on everything else. poor results taking into account the vast number of people who have received a notice about the auction.

They need to step up their game before Dan (now a GoDaddy company) starts doing auctions, eating up their market share.

•••
How did bottys.com sell for $610 at a new gTLD auction?

Is that a typo, or did the name sneak in somehow?

Last edited:
•••
The results were a real stinker, especially after ample promotion.

The (lack of) quality and premium renewals certainly didn't help.

Brad
If they had put a few .coms in there they might have had some nice sales.

There were 60+ .XYZ alone. When you factor in the other extensions it was well in excess of 100
Indeed, nobody wants xyz, apart from a select few people.

Last edited:
•••
to explain why some have gone for cheap
a few of these domains have premium renewals

so are you wiling to invest into a domain with 350-700-1300-3000$ annual renewal,
that is the big question

i guess some winners will find out soon when the renewal come

Last edited:
•••
Back