Dynadot

discuss Baidu to enter metaverse: What it means for domain names?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact

Baidu readies for imminent metaverse app launch

If you look at this article, you would know that after Facebook, almost every other competitor in the search engine, social media and gaming space is eyeing, investing or developing a metaverse in some shape or form.

With Baidu entering the space, it is inevitable that Meta domain names would continue to see some traction. I anticipate that there would be activity in:
  • .COM, .CN, .IO extensions
  • English and Chinese languages having 'Meta' terms
  • Meta names are only going to be popular
What extensions do you think would be a good investment from 'meta' perspective, over a 5 years period?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••

Baidu readies for imminent metaverse app launch

If you look at this article, you would know that after Facebook, almost every other competitor in the search engine, social media and gaming space is eyeing, investing or developing a metaverse in some shape or form.

With Baidu entering the space, it is inevitable that Meta domain names would continue to see some traction. I anticipate that there would be activity in:
  • .COM, .CN, .IO extensions
  • English and Chinese languages having 'Meta' terms
  • Meta names are only going to be popular
What extensions do you think would be a good investment from 'meta' perspective, over a 5 years period?
Dot meta would be a cool new domain name extension.

•••
Dot meta would be a cool new domain name extension.
Yes, that could also be a possibility with a registrar coming up with a .meta.

•••
Yes, that could also be a possibility with a registrar coming up with a .meta.

More money for ICANN
They could probably auction the rights to .Omn (for Omniverse) Imagine the rush for names like Meta.omn, Ai.omn, Ar.omn, Vr.omn, XR.omn etc

•••
More money for ICANN
They could probably auction the rights to .Omn (for Omniverse) Imagine the rush for names like Meta.omn, Ai.omn, Ar.omn, Vr.omn, XR.omn etc
Lol but looks like meta is beyond that threshold. It's a one of the popular terms and .meta makes much more sense than any other new gTLDs that came up earlier.

•••
Xirang (keyword). com might be a good domain name,
hence being the Chinese metaverse.

•••
After everyone is vomiting with epilepsy we shall see.

•••
•••
Well the ideal meta verse is a VR experience but will end up as a AR experience as peoples brains cannot take alternate reality for long period without complications. Eg poor quality too many lumens burning eyes, or balance problems, nausea etc. Vr although around 30 years is still new. This is more like a rss for now.

Last edited:
•••
Well the ideal meta verse is a VR experience but will end up as a AR experience as peoples brains cannot take alternate reality for long period without complications. Eg poor quality too many lumens burning eyes, or balance problems, nausea etc. Vr although around 30 years is still new.
not 100% correct but I give you credit for this.

I tried VR my own, and I did not face any issues as you have mentioned.

A friend of mine, uses VR since almost 2 years on a regular basis, and he says he likes shooter games a lot, as you can hide & aim like in real life, and not just by clicking a button...

However, he says, after 2 hours its more like you need a break.

You can still hang around in VR, but just with a lot less action; e.g. going to parties, stand up comedy shows etc and just enjoying the scenery.

If gaming in VR is more exhausting than gaming in front of your home desktop, then we have a big advantage here:

1 - kids move at least, and not sit on their chair
2 - after 2 hours of gaming in VR they are morst likely done...

At desktop, kids sit 4, 5 or more hours in front of the game, without making any break.

So, parents will be more likely to force their kids to play VR games, because of the two aspects I mentioned... :xf.wink:

We'll see.

Last edited:
•••
I didn't understand what you mean?

A friend of mine, uses VR since almost 2 years on a regular basis, and he says he likes shooter games a lot, as you can hide & aim like in real life, and not just by clicking a button...

You can still hang around in VR, but just with a lot less action; e.g. going to parties, stand up comedy shows etc and just enjoying the scenery.

If gaming in VR is more exhausting than gaming in front of your home desktop, then we have a big advantage here:

At desktop, kids sit 4, 5 or more hours in front of the game, without making any break.

So, parents will be more likely to force their kids to play VR games, because of the two aspects I mentioned... :xf.wink:

We'll see.
I have hundreds of hours of VR-1 helmet experience thanks to @CraigD but talking 20+ years ago and chundered (new word) many times.

Last edited:
•••

We'll see.

Most experience nausea for the first few times and many never stop experiencing some nausea. It's recommended you take a break after 30 mins from vr not 2 hours. But maybe we have different sources of info.

Having a screen up to your face going to take some getting used to and a large portion of people will never like it, preferring AR and MR which enhances real life experiences rather than cut you off from real life.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back