IT.COM

Bad experience with NameCheap

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

kesen

Established Member
Impact
I joined the auction on NameCheap this year.
But too many times bad experience as follows:
I set a proxy price for a domain name, then I ended up being the second bidder, and a few days later, NameCheap notified me to pay, I compared it with Godaddy and found that NameCheap JUST removed the highest bid, but Godaddy All bids from the highest bidder will be deleted.
That way, you'll pay a lot more for a domain name because other people put the price too high and don't pay.
And I've only been in a few auctions and have encountered 40% of the same.
How does NameCheap deal with such users who won the bid but did not pay?
I think should stay away from NameCheap

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
They didn’t force you to bid against the other bidders. You did. They didn’t make a proxy- you did. You contact CS and tell them you don’t want it instead of creating false narratives here.

Last edited:
•••
他们没有强迫您与其他竞标者竞标。你做到了。他们没有做代理——你做了。您联系 CS 并告诉他们您不想要它,而不是在这里创建虚假叙述。
Do you know if the first winner not bid again, we could get the name with a low cost? are you joking?

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
If what you're saying is true, that's absolutely horrific. I'm not even sure that's legal. Can you prove it?

•••
I don't like NameCheap cause of other reason - their clear discrimination against Russian customers and I currently have zero names with them (even through I am not affected). Few names that I had with them were moved to other registrars, even long before their ''year'' was expired.

But to the topic. I personally haven't participated in their auctions but from what you described it's very likely they shill bid. If you run the auction, the highest bid is not paid and you say as registrar that the client is not legit, then all his bids should be removed and only then the second highest bidder rewarded with a win. Otherwise it looks extremely shady. No way I'd participate in such auction ever again, no matter who runs it.

@tamar

Last edited:
•••
They didn’t force you to bid against the other bidders. You did. They didn’t make a proxy- you did. You contact CS and tell them you don’t want it instead of creating false narratives here.

Not sure what you are saying or you understood what the complaint is about.

If the highest bidder did not pay, all his bids should be removed. Period.

•••
•••
I don't like NameCheap cause of other reason - their clear discrimination against Russian customers and I currently have zero names with them (even through I am not affected). Few names that I had with them were moved to other registrars, even long before their ''year'' was expired.

But to the topic. I personally haven't participated in their auctions but from what you described it's very likely they shill bid. If you run the auction, the highest bid is not paid and you say as registrar that the client is not legit, then all his bids should be removed and only then the second highest bidder rewarded with a win. Otherwise it looks extremely shady. No way I'd participate in such auction ever again, no matter who runs it.

@tamar
Yeah, will not attend again, that will cost me too much money that was lifted by the the first winner.

•••

Yes, compared with GoDaddy, I prefer GD, as they usually Delete all bids if the Winner Not pay, then let the second bidder get the domain.
Thank you so much.

•••
Maybe someone would like to check the proofs, attached now.
Thanks

Attachments

• for 1.png
    for 1.png
    92.8 KB · Views: 72
  • for 2.png
    for 2.png
    99.4 KB · Views: 75
  • for 3.png
    for 3.png
    97 KB · Views: 63
  • for 4.png
    for 4.png
    22.6 KB · Views: 88
•••
•••
In addition, I also e-mailed their after-sales service, as I really do not want to tolerate the UNFAIR rules, but seems they have no good ideas for this.
Disappointed with namecheap, so I'm now out of their auctions.
Good luck.

•••
Show the invoice for how much you needed to pay.

•••

I am saying nobody chose his max bid but him. It isn’t NC fault he is having some bidder remorse. Its not anything strange to offer the domain to the second bidder although I think it should be an option to accept -not a requirement.

I do understand the complaint. He is blaming his bidding remorse on NC.

Last edited:
•••
I am saying nobody chose his max bid but him. It isn’t NC fault he is having some bidder remorse. Its not anything strange to offer the domain to the second bidder although I think it should be an option to accept -not a requirement.

I do understand the complaint. He is blaming his bidding remorse on NC.

You are getting it wrong.

I might be willing to pay $1000 max for a domain, but if the next highest legitimate bidder is willing to pay only 300, I should get it for 305, not my max reserve.

That is the axiom of every auction. I don't know why you are trying to reinvent the bicycle here.

•••
You are getting it wrong.

I might be willing to pay $1000 max for a domain, but if the next highest legitimate bidder is willing to pay only 300, I should get it for 305, not my max reserve.

That is the axiom of every auction. I don't know why you are trying to reinvent the bicycle here.
Reserve the bidder created aren‘t some arbitrary number that can be poo pooed when oops you actually bid that. Very surprised to hear you talking this way.

Maybe your buyer can pay 500 less than you quote him next time. Because according to you bids aren’t binding. Got it.

He should have bid his max and walked away instead of blaming NC for a crappy bidder. Nobody forced him to engage in a bidding war.

Last edited:
•••
Front running has become way too commonplace in auctions these days on all sorts of platforms for domain names. It hurts all of us and should be eliminated by the site owner quickly before it ruins their standing in the online community.

•••
Reserve the bidder created aren‘t some arbitrary number that can be poo pooed when oops you actually bid that. Very surprised to hear you talking this way.

Maybe your buyer can pay 500 less than you quote him next time. Because according to you bids aren’t binding. Got it.

He should have bid his max and walked away instead of blaming NC for a crappy bidder. Nobody forced him to engage in a bidding war.

What are you talking about?

Do you know how auctions supposed to work?

I put my max bid, but ONLY IF someone is willing to bid me up there.

If what you are suggesting would be allowed, then the platforms would have huge incentive to cheat and users would always second guess themselves.

You'd have shill bidders taking you to your max and then not paying.

I had bid $2k+ for a name at GD and lost it. The winner did not pay and GD sold it to me at around $300, because from their on it was 2 way race between non-payer and me. Why is it fair for me to pay $2k+ for that?

More than that GD, that we all love to bash, is so focused on its reputation in this matter, that they will offer the name for bargain to 3rd bidder if 1 and 2 did not pay. I got a name for around $200 that 2 guys ahead of me bid up to around $9k. GD could have reauctioned it and got at least $4k (that is the wholesale price I was offered for the name by another investor).

•••

You are not understanding the issue.

If it was a fake bidder, why would it trigger your reserve? If the fake bidder bids $1000 but the highest REAL bidder bids $300, you should pay $310, not $1025.

It's very simple really. Otherwise, shill bidding is very easy. In fact, I'm not even sure what Namecheap is doing (if true) is even legal.

•••
i have been second high bidder lots of times on namecheap and the winner not paying. rather than being offered the lowest price due to cancelled bets, i have only been offered my max price.

in these instances, i just let it lapse and it goes back to auction again

•••
This is on a live auction with several days remaining.
Looks like the shill has taken this guy all the way to his maximum, then somehow cancelled the bid?

nc.jpg

Perhaps the owner of the removed bid has been banned (for non payment on other auctions?)

Anyway, it's not a great look. Voiding all bids of disqualified users is the optimal policy in my mind.

•••
Back