IT.COM

Auto industry closer, think I'll do ok Domaining?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

michaelvee

Established Member
Impact
Hi all!

I have worked in the auto industry for the last 10 years and I am no stranger to sales/closing deals. I will admit that I am a complete noob when it comes to domains...

But I do know one thing and one thing well... The psychology of prospective clients and how to analyze, identify and overcome objections. What I have noticed the most over the years is that it doesn't matter what it is you can sell it for a profit.

I have spent time RTFM on here and other various sources. I'm looking to find some seasoned veterans to show me the ropes.

Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The sales experience will surely help you but you have to gain domianing knowledge too.
Welcome and Good Luck!

•••
•••
Hi all!

I have worked in the auto industry for the last 10 years and I am no stranger to sales/closing deals. I will admit that I am a complete noob when it comes to domains...

But I do know one thing and one thing well... The psychology of prospective clients and how to analyze, identify and overcome objections. What I have noticed the most over the years is that it doesn't matter what it is you can sell it for a profit.

I have spent time RTFM on here and other various sources. I'm looking to find some seasoned veterans to show me the ropes.

Thanks.

Good luck to you.

B-)

•••
Do you want to be a broker for other people's domains, or are you planning yo build up your own portfolio? It's two completely different things. Your sales experience might come in handy on the first. Building a portfolio takes time, buying names every day, watching and participating in auctions every day. I would say it would take somewhere around 1 to 3 years of active buying and selling to really get a feel for how domaining works.

•••
Well, I'd certainly like to have the opportunity to observe the strategy in all facets. I could help some of those who are having an issue closing a consumer and in return I'd be able to gain the experience in this market.

Eventually, I would like to build my own portfolio and be able to sell on my own. Even if it takes years... I've got time.

•••
It's not really an internship type of business. If you want to learn it, read as much as you can from various sources, ask questions, get in it. A seasoned veteran is already going to know how to close.

•••
No? Just jump in head first with dollar signs in your eyes, huh? I like it, TRIAL BY FIRE! Except I would have to cut my own tie after the first sale...

•••
No? Just jump in head first with dollar signs in your eyes, huh? I like it, TRIAL BY FIRE! Except I would have to cut my own tie after the first sale...

The stuff before it as well (lots of reading) and yes, jump in and learn. Make mistakes, learn. Just like everybody else. You have nothing to offer a seasoned veteran, you don't even know the business. Instead of wanting people to show you, take initiative and start reading. Then if you have questions, ask, if you can't find it via the search function. Dip in lightly when first starting out, go from there.

Last edited:
•••
I get that, believe me. But in 10 years of closing sales, I haven't learned every close / technique... and quite frankly neither has anyone else, no matter how seasoned they are. There's always something to learn. And quite possibly from another market / sector.

It takes big guts to ask someone for $100K for something that you KNOW will be worth scrap someday. More than likely $0...

If that's not you, I can respect that you would'nt take someone "under your wing". But that doesn't mean that someone else won't either.

•••
This is the Domain Beginners section, how many threads have you read so far?

•••
My success or failure in the business is inversely proportionate to having read threads on this forum?

•••
My success or failure in the business is inversely proportionate to having read threads on this forum?

That didn't answer the question. Your success will be based on initiative, a willingness to learn, self starter type. You should be digging in, reading all night long. If you're not willing to even try to learn on your own and just want someone to teach, not going to happen. It's an independent type business, we're competitors and even with that, help each other out when we can. But there really isn't much hand holding. Plenty of information already out there, here, free.

Last edited:
•••
And like I mentioned, I can respect the fact that you personally wouldn't "mentor" someone. No problem.

If you ever need help, JB Lions, don't hesitate to contact me.

•••
If I ever start an auto dealership, I will.

And if you ever need help, after you took some time reading, learning as much as you can, then there are plenty of people here willing to help you.

•••
It's quite different industries. Almost everybody needs a car, and is going to buy another one every few years... while most people don't need a domain and will never buy one, unless it's for business use. What I want to say is that the sales skills are much less important than the merchandise. The best sales skills in the world are powerless when trying to sell bad domains. It's something that many newbies learn the hard way :)
Also, few people value domains like they should.

•••
Understood. I just hand reg biggameshootersoutdoorsmountainmen.com ... think I can sell it for $x,xxx,xxx?? :D

I get it, thank you for the advice.

Last edited:
•••
You should be digging in, reading all night long.
My eyes are almost bloodshot and they hurt from all the reading, JB Lions. How do I differentiate the good info from the bad? Is it all sound advice here on NP?

It's not really an internship type of business.
I did speak with a gentleman that offered me a 1099 gig brokering domains for him after I wrote this post. Not sure if he's an upstanding businessman or not though... He had a lot of names.

And you're absolutely correct, there's a lot to learn.

•••
Back