IT.COM

advice Attention All Newbies, Try to Become a Conscientious and Righteous domainer!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

oldtimer

SaveThyWorld.com Let's not leave anyone behindTop Member
Impact
Newbies can make the domain Industry bigger and can give more credibility to domaining if they act responsibly both when it comes to handling their finances and domaining strategies so that they don't come across as people who are addicted to this hobby and can't control themselves and also by acting professionally by not following the wrong paths that would make domainers look like cyber squatters, TM infringers, or spammers.

Conscientious and Righteous domainers who want to create value through their domains both for themselves and for the end users that they sell their domains to can be an important asset to the domaining community and Industry.

My advice to Newbies is to go after quality over quantity both when it comes to buying domains from the aftermarket and also if you are hand registering them yourself. Keeping a small portfolio that you are continuously upgrading when it comes to quality is not only easier on your pocketbook as far as renewals, but it's also a lot less stressful when it comes to maintaining and managing your domains. Playing the numbers game by trying to create a very large portfolio is a very risky endeavor that you might have to wait until you have enough knowledge and experience before you can take on such plans and even then you need to be aware of the fact that only a small percentage of domainers have been able to make large portfolios become profitable as it is very difficult to maintain the same level of quality as a portfolio becomes very big.

If you like you can make a post in this thread to commit to being a Conscientious and Righteous domainer, Maybe that will get you a special badge someday. ;)

Conscientious and Righteous Domainer! :angelic:

Thread Rules: Everyone's welcomed to participate in this thread provided that they behave in a professional, constructive, and respectful manner and more importantly that they are Conscientious and Righteous Domainer. Keep all conversations on Topic and make this into a positive experience for all involved.

I expect NamePros to help me maintain a productive and engaging atmosphere here by enforcing a zero tolerance policy for Stalkers and Trolls who want to attack and demean others or who want to derail this thread in any way.

IMO

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Newbies can make the domain Industry bigger and can give more credibility to domaining if they act responsibly both when it comes to handling their finances and domaining strategies so that they don't come across as people who are addicted to this hobby and can't control themselves and also by acting professionally by not following the wrong paths that would make domainers look like cyber squatters, TM infringers, or spammers.

Conscientious and Righteous domainers who want to create value through their domains both for themselves and for the end users that they sell their domains to can be an important asset to the domaining community and Industry.

My advice to Newbies is to go after quality over quantity both when it comes to buying domains from the aftermarket and also if you are hand registering them yourself. Keeping a small portfolio that you are continuously upgrading when it comes to quality is not only easier on your pocketbook as far as renewals, but it's also a lot less stressful when it comes to maintaining and managing your domains. Playing the numbers game by trying to create a very large portfolio is a very risky endeavor that you might have to wait until you have enough knowledge and experience before you can take on such plans and even then you need to be aware of the fact that only a small percentage of domainers have been able to make large portfolios become profitable as it is very difficult to maintain the same level of quality as a portfolio becomes very big.

If you like you can make a post in this thread to commit to being a Conscientious and Righteous domainer, Maybe that will get you a special badge someday. ;)

Conscientious and Righteous Domainer! :angelic:

Thread Rules: Everyone's welcomed to participate in this thread provided that they behave in a professional, constructive, and respectful manner and more importantly that they are Conscientious and Righteous Domainer. Keep all conversations on Topic and make this into a positive experience for all involved.

I expect NamePros to help me maintain a productive and engaging atmosphere here by enforcing a zero tolerance policy for Stalkers and Trolls who want to attack and demean others or who want to derail this thread in any way.

IMO

@oldtimer: I, as a Newbie, commit to being a Conscientious and Righteous Domainer, not because I wish to win a badge (although that's good), I simply want to do what's right.

Thank you "oldtimer." Your message is important and I hope all Newbies will commit to doing what's right!

•••
Some newbies come here thinking it is some kind of scam club and because they are in it for the rort everyone must be. Always someone fessing some shady deal like big money on internationalized domain name sending banners and links or efforts to advertise names not owned etc.

•••
In my opinion it might be best for Newbies to keep their portfolio under 250 domains as this number is an important threshold in determining whether you should expand your portfolio any more or not depending on whether you have been able to establish a track record of making enough sales to make your portfolio profitable.

I believe that keeping a smaller portfolio of quality domains that you constantly thrive to improve on by trimming it and replacing the lesser quality domains with better ones might be the best strategy for the majority of the domainers (unless of course you are amongst the very few skillful and experienced domainers that can make large portfolios profitable).

Managing a large portfolio could become very stressful, one big mistake that a lot of domainers make is that they expand their portfolio without having any sales and then they get drowned by renewal charges.

It might be best to keep your portfolio small and be cautious as to how many domains you buy or register, but at the same time if you have done your research and happen to come across a domain that is considered to be a gem then don't hesitate to get it as there are a lot of prying eyes out there at some Registrars, Registries, and Whois providers ( and even search engines and Internet service providers) that might take advantage of having access to insider information and register a domain that you have thought of and looked up for availability and suitability during your research. You can always trim your portfolio of some of the lesser quality domains later in order to still be able to keep it the same size.

IMO

Last edited:
•••
I, too, am joining you. Yoroshiku onegai shimasu!

•••
Unfortunately there seems to be a dark side to the domain Industry, it's very important for Newbies not to fall for the rosy picture that these people try to portray for themselves here on this Forum, on the Blogs, or the Domain Conferences as there are many people in this Industry who lack any moral compass and who make their living by contributing to the delinquency and demise of the society by the type of portfolios that they hold and the kind of activities that they are engaged in.

Not only that you need to try to be a Conscientious and Righteous Domainer, but you also have to know whom to trust as many people in this Industry are wolves in sheeps clothing who pretend that they want to help you, but in reality they only want to help themselves.

After a while you'll get to know who these parasites are who only want to give you the kind of advice that benefits themselves in one way or anorher, but meanwhile always refer to your own sense of logic and compassion in order to find the right path.

IMO

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back