IT.COM

poll Should NP downvoting be anonymous?

NameSilo
Watch

Do you think NP voting should be anonymous?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes, your username should be private

votes
    52.6%
  • No, your username should be public

votes
    47.4%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

redemo

Mug RuithTop Member
Impact
Simple question. Do you think downvoting and upvoting should be anonymous on Namepros, yes or no?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The anonymous negative votes have ruined the namepros experience for me.

They are being abused and weaponized as a means of bullying and do not foster honest, civil discussion.

A bunch of anonymous down votes feels like people spitting in my face.

I tried to participate in a thread by offering sincere suggestions based on my experience and received many negative votes just because my opinion was unpopular.

I don't feel safe sharing my honest experience with others here and will not be participating in threads unless this problem is fixed.

•••
The anonymous negative votes have ruined the namepros experience for me.

They are being abused and weaponized as a means of bullying and do not foster honest, civil discussion.

A bunch of anonymous down votes feels like people spitting in my face.

I tried to participate in a thread by offering sincere suggestions based on my experience and received many negative votes just because my opinion was unpopular.

I don't feel safe sharing my honest experience with others here and will not be participating in threads unless this problem is fixed.
I downvoted you because I disagreed with your comments (each one of them, individually) about the stolen domain, but didn't have time to respond to them all. Just because one person has nothing but time on their hands doesn't mean that everyone who disagrees also has to have an equal amount of time on their hands to invest in contradicting that person. You were wrong imo, so I downvoted you to reflect that. The people with the least agreeable posts somehow never stop to ask why so many people disagreed with their post, and are always complaining about the anonymous downvotes. Yet if they were not anonymous those same obsessive people would just be harrassing the people that disagreed with them and demanding explanations.

I downvoted you to express my disagreement with your posts (disagreement that was already shared by many), and it is right that that should be the end of it for me if I wish it so. If you put something out there and force everyone to view it, you have to accept that some people disagree and don't owe you an explanation for disagreeing. If your whole Namepros experience is dependent on being able to post unpopular things and only receive upvotes and high fives for that, or else have those posts be fodder to force people who disagree into further endless discussion about your unpopular views, then what can anyone else do about that? If you post unpopular things, those things will be downvoted. This is true on just about every message board in the world but it's only on Namepros that people act like someone "did something to them" simply by downvoting something they disagreed with and going on their way.

It is important not to post things if you can't accept that people may just generally disagree with you. In the case of the stolen domain, your views were pretty much the opposite of those expressed in most posts in that thread, so there really was no reason to give any explanation. The guy made a claim that Epik stole his name and provided some form of evidence of this, and in the absence of any further word from Epik most of us took him at his word. If you want to take Epik's side and assume best intentions from them that's fine, but there's no way you could be confused about why people disagreed because the explanations were given in the thread and your arguments did not seem to address those views that had already been expressed, nor bring up any relevant point of view that anyone had overlooked. You made an argument (of sorts) against what everyone else was saying, but the argument did not seem convincing in the context of the conversation, so you were downvoted by many people. Sorry if that makes you feel unsafe, I don't know how anyone could reasonably address that. I don't feel like that's a normal reaction to your post being disliked.

Last edited:
•••
I downvoted you because I disagreed with your comments (each one of them, individually) about the stolen domain, but didn't have time to respond to them all. Just because one person has nothing but time on their hands doesn't mean that everyone who disagrees also has to have an equal amount of time on their hands to invest in contradicting that person. You were wrong imo, so I downvoted you to reflect that. The people with the least agreeable posts somehow never stop to ask why so many people disagreed with their post, and are always complaining about the anonymous downvotes. Yet if they were not anonymous those same obsessive people would just be harrassing the people that disagreed with them and demanding explanations.

I downvoted you to express my disagreement with your posts (disagreement that was already shared by many), and it is right that that should be the end of it for me if I wish it so. If you put something out there and force everyone to view it, you have to accept that some people disagree and don't owe you an explanation for disagreeing. If your whole Namepros experience is dependent on being able to post unpopular things and only receive upvotes and high fives for that, or else have those posts be fodder to force people who disagree into further endless discussion about your unpopular views, then what can anyone else do about that? If you post unpopular things, those things will be downvoted. This is true on just about every message board in the world but it's only on Namepros that people act like someone "did something to them" simply by downvoting something they agreed with and going on their way.

It is important not to post things if you can't accept that people may just generally disagree with you. In the case of the stolen domain, your views were pretty much the opposite of those expressed in most posts in that thread, so there really was no reason to give any explanation. The guy made a claim that Epik stole his name and provided some form of evidence of this, and in the absence of any further word from Epik most of us took him at his word. If you want to take Epik's side and assume best intentions from them that's fine, but there's no way you could be confused about why people disagreed because the explanations were given in the thread and your arguments did not seem to address those views that had already been expressed, nor bring up any relevant point of view that anyone had overlooked. You made an argument against what everyone else was saying, but the argument did not seem convincing in the context of the conversation, so you were downvoted by many people.

Thanks for explaining your reasons for the downvotes.

Anonymous downvotes just don't work for me.

I took the time to share my sincere views based on my experience. And my experience should count for something. The same thing that happened to Brad happened to me. I spent months working with Dynadot, ICANN, and attorneys, hashing out the problem. And I learned a few things along the way.

If people don't care about my experience or what I learned, shared only in the interest of helping a fellow domain investor, fine.

I don't need a bunch of people ganging up on me and essentially spitting in my face because they disagree.

I'm not interested in a forum that doesn't respect people's sincere contributions and doesn't foster a positive environment between members.

I'm done contributing here unless something changes.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for explaining your reasons for the downvotes.

I took the time to share my sincere views based on my experience. And my experience should count for something. The same thing that happened to Brad happened to me. I spent months working with Dynadot, ICANN, and attorneys, hashing out the problem. And I learned a few things along the way.

If people don't care about my experience or what I learned, shared only in the interest of helping a fellow domain investor, fine.

I don't need a bunch of people ganging up on me and essentially spitting in my face because they disagree.

I'm not interested in a forum that doesn't respect people's sincere contributions and doesn't foster a positive environment between members.

I'm done contributing here unless something changes.

Your most recent post that was not in that thread received several upvotes:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/alter-com-marketplace.1208387/post-8690367

Sometimes you post popular things and get upvotes for them. Sometimes you post unpopular things and get downvotes for them. When you get the upvotes you feel good and take no further action, but then when you get downvotes one time you are suddenly ranting about bullying and feeling unsafe, and demanding that the social features of the site be changed to be more friendly to your unpopular posts. It's clear that there's no bias against you by anyone on this site, but that you just had an unpopular opinion that you chose to share. Nobody is bullying you or threatening your safety.

I can't speak for the mods or whatever but I will be surprised if anyone changes anything just because you had a bad day and got mad that you posted something unpopular. Just saying.

Last edited:
•••
Your most recent post that was not in that thread received several upvotes:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/alter-com-marketplace.1208387/post-8690367

Sometimes you post popular things and get upvotes for them. Sometimes you post unpopular things and get downvotes for them. When you get the upvotes you feel good and take no further action, but then when you get downvotes one time you are suddenly ranting about bullying and feeling unsafe, and demanding that the social features of the site be changed to be more friendly to your unopopular posts. It's clear that there's no bias against you by anyone on this site, but that you just had an unpopular opinion that you chose to share. Nobody is bullying you or threatening your safety. You were negged on all of your posts because you posted in the same thread 5 times basically saying the same thing that you knew people disagreed with over and over.

I can't speak for the mods or whatever but I will be surprised if anyone changes anything just because you had a bad day and got mad that you expressed an unpopular opinion. Just saying.

This isn't the first time this has happened to me, and it's not just me.

Those anonymous downvotes are like people lifting their leg and taking a piss on what I'm trying to say -- when I was simply trying to help.

It's not the kind of environment I'm interested in participating in.

•••
Please report posts where you believe it is being abused. We can investigate and correct abuse.

They're not truly anonymous. Moderators can view them.

In the future, members will be able to earn enough Impact to be granted access to this information, as well.

Learn more:

•••
•••
Hi

now that i can see who is giving downvotes

check this out!
the OP of thread below went back to a 2021 and downvoted a couple of my posts there yesterday.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/best-domain-checklist-tips.1240398/#post-8287849

imo...
I didn't go back, I was on that thread doing research for another thread. Happened to click ignored content tab and see your 100% pointless contributions and publicly disagreed your nonsense with both posts while also down-voted them. It wasn't selective only to you, and happy for moderators to check this. I stand by all of my actions and have not attempted to hide them. As an aside, I've had you on the ignore list for a while list since you only contribute negative responses to my posts. It's been consistent for over a year now. Quite happy to back that up with evidence if you so wish? Since you are able to see the down-voting I guess you forgot to mention all your posts I've up-voted? Yeah, that's what I thought. End of story.

Last edited:
•••
•••
This turning into a popcornfest
Hey mods, how do i see my invisible upvotes and downvotes?

•••
This turning into a popcornfest
Namepros is a drug. Somebody should apply for F.D.A. approval and then tax it.

•••
Yes, however, in order to establish a habitual pattern, we'll need to see the same member downvoting your posts in different context and topics. A single post rarely identifies a retaliatory or antagonistic incident beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Once we establish a clear pattern, we can get more involved and take action.

Hi

now that i can see who is giving downvotes

check this out!
the OP of thread below went back to a 2021 and downvoted a couple of my posts there yesterday.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/best-domain-checklist-tips.1240398/#post-8287849

Hi @Echo Mod Team

i believe a clear pattern has now been established.

Please address it

imo....

•••
Hi @Echo Mod Team

i believe a clear pattern has now been established.

Please address it

imo....
A habitual pattern requires more than 1 downvote. The post you linked to was not downvoted by just 1 individual member, they were from different members that disagreed with the post.

As mentioned prior, in order to establish a habitual pattern, we need to verify that the same member is downvoting/disagreeing with multiple posts in multiple different topics.

We've asked multiple times for you to start a support thread and provide us with multiple posts that were downvoted/disagreed with to help establish a pattern and you have not cooperated with us yet.

As soon as we are able to establish a pattern, we can get more involved.

We look forward to reviewing any posts you provide us with. You can create a support thread here: https://www.namepros.com/forums/namepros-general-support.184/

Please start a support thread so a moderator team can focus on your specific case in a centralized location that's easier to follow, update, and keep track of.

Thanks

•••
•••
Hi

i had already started a thread on this subject here:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/how-to-view-who-gave-negative-points-to-your-posts.1273835/

if you view my "alerts" profile you can see the numerous downvotes recently given by one member in particular.

imo....
Gave you minus 6 votes for this post, and publicly disagreed with it too.
https://www.namepros.com/threads/ask-a-moderator-anything-publicly.1265676/post-8696220. If you don't believe in democracy then move to North Korea, or try being more constructive. People get down-voted for unpopular posts, just as they get up-voted for popular posts. I get down-voted and up-voted too. That's life. The difference is that I'm NOT against down-voting, just think it should be linked to a username so you can debate WHY the down-votes were given. I haven't broken any Namepros rules, and I stand by my voting. The mod team can clearly see that I don't single out any members, you included @biggie, for unfair down-voting. That's a fact.

Maybe you should spend less time worrying about who's voting your posts up/down and more time improving the quality and delivery of your posts? But I highly doubt that will happen.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Here is a question... Why is anonymous voting a thing?

There are some (who knows how many) people abusing this system with anonymous downvotes even for legitimate comments or questions.

I personally don't feel targeted, but I see others who make comments and many of which seem unfairly targeted with anonymous downvotes.

It seems certain people and/or subjects attract far more anonymous downvotes than others. That bothers me.

I have left several comments in threads where someone is getting downvotes in response to one of my posts that say that I don't support it.

How is this a good thing? All it does is stifle participation.

When I mentioned the amount of downvotes a comment got (-11), while also pointing out it is a legitimate question, that comment was deleted in this thread.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/bull-xyz-sold-for-199-888-dan-record-sale.1286639/

So you can leave as many anonymous downvotes as you want, but can't point out when a legitimate question was unfairly downvoted. :facepalm:

Brad

Last edited:
•••

There are some (who knows how many) people abusing this system with anonymous downvotes even for legitimate comments or questions.

When I mentioned the amount of downvotes a comment got (-11), even while pointing out it is a legitimate question, that comment was deleted in this thread.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/bull-xyz-sold-for-199-888-dan-record-sale.1286639/

So you can leave as many anonymous downvotes as you want, but can't point that out when a legitimate question was unfairly downvoted. :facepalm:

Brad

Of course, even a comment about abuse of downvotes get downvotes. I am getting fed up with this system.
I might just take an extended leave of absence in the near future.

Brad

Last edited:
•••

I personally don't feel targeted, but I see others who make comments and many of which seem unfairly targeted with anonymous downvotes.

It seems certain people and/or subjects attract far more anonymous downvotes than others. That bothers me.

I have left several comments in threads where someone is getting downvotes in response to one of my posts that say that I don't support it.

When I mentioned the amount of downvotes a comment got (-11), while also pointing out it is a legitimate question, that comment was deleted in this thread.

So you can leave as many anonymous downvotes as you want, but can't point out when a legitimate question was unfairly downvoted. :facepalm:

Brad
Hello,

It appears that a moderator team removed your post from the thread you linked to because it took the thread off the topic of the bull.xyz sale and lead the discussion onto a different topic about the down-vote system.

The following rules apply:
1.14. Do not make noncontributory posts/threads or artificially inflate your post count ("post pad"):
  • Do not unnecessarily post multiple times in a single discussion in a short period of time, sometimes called instant messaging (instead, take your time before posting so that all relevant content can be grouped together within a minimum amount of posts). Exceptions are made where reasonable (e.g., edit time limits have passed or each reply is dedicated to a different member's post).
  • Only post comments and questions that are relevant to the topic and contribute to the discussion (e.g., posting a single word like "bump" is not contributory; instead, post a short question or unique comment to encourage new activity in a thread).
  • Needlessly short and noncontributory posts are not allowed. Exceptions may be made in select sections like Domain Name Requests, Meet and Greet (Networking), Domain Industry News, NamePros Blog comments, Domain Chat, and Domain Name Sales unless the thread indicates that it's not allowed in that particular thread.
  • Exception: Only NamePros staff may post a noncontributory bump in someone else’s thread, such as when a new thread is hidden temporarily (e.g., awaiting approval) and experiences a decrease in visibility.
1.5. Do not post anything suggestive, inquisitive, or critical of NamePros (e.g., policy, staff, or moderator activity: infractions, content approval, edited/deleted posts, etc.) except in the designated Help Desk area (e.g., in the private support or public feedback sections).
In rule 1.5 a moderator team may or may not consider the discussion of the NamePros downvoting feature to be included (Since it's members moderating through the feature). Especially if it takes a thread off-topic.

If the post about downvoting was in a support related type thread (Like the one I'm replying to here), neither of the above rules would apply.

For internal use ONLY: https://www.namepros.com/threads/bull-xyz-sold-for-199-888-dan-record-sale.1286639/post-8740619

As for the downvoting system itself, you can find previous reply's from moderator teams here:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/ask-a-moderator-anything-publicly.1265676/post-8683111
https://www.namepros.com/threads/ask-a-moderator-anything-publicly.1265676/post-8683136
https://www.namepros.com/threads/ask-a-moderator-anything-publicly.1265676/post-8696321

We hope that information helps.

•••
Is there a function to build a favourite list of Namepros members please?
I'm trying to do is manually build a list of Namepros members who register domain names and develop them into monetisable or saleable (sellable?) assets. I then want to filter all content on Namepros to just show what those members post
You can do this with the "Follow" button, but we don't have a way to create secondary lists yet.

Once you follow them, you can filter all content to just theirs by visiting your news feed:

Only moderators can do that, currently.

We're thinking about having a sort of "meta" area for threads where things like that, and even the moderation of a thread, can be discussed because those things are not part of the topic itself (and the topic is the reason that most people are reading a thread), but rather they're discussions about the thread itself (not its topic).

Why is anonymous voting a thing?
Here's a thread about this question:

We hope that helps.

•••
Hi,

This comment is decreasing my impact rapidly, without logical reason!
I picked .dev / .app / .me from poll and shared my opinion in comment.
namepros.com/blog/domain-name-investors-make-predictions-for-2023.1291544/comment-8803071

Did I type something against namePro's rules?

Regards,
- devXC
Hello,

The following quoted posts by moderators should help provide more information regarding up/down votes and community moderation (Which the up/down vote feature is part of):

The points assigned from a quick reply are public, but the points assigned from the arrows are only accessible by moderators (and in the future, accessible by top members like yourself). We’re working toward that goal every day, but it’s part of a larger project.
Hello,

Yes, however, in order to establish a habitual pattern, we'll need to see the same member downvoting your posts in different context and topics. A single post rarely identifies a retaliatory or antagonistic incident beyond a shadow of a doubt.

A review of recent activity did not show downvotes.

Would you care to start a dedicated support thread, where you can list a few of them for us to investigate? - https://www.namepros.com/forums/namepros-general-support.184/

Once we establish a clear pattern, we can get more involved and take action.

Hello,

It appears that the original poster disagreed and disliked your opinion. A different member also disagreed, bringing the points to 3. The 4th point was an actual downvote and not a Like, Agree, Disagree, Dislike button click. There does not appear to be multiple downvotes from the same person. It's a combination of a downvote and usage of the Like, Agree, Disagree, Dislike buttons.

Keep in mind, any time a Like, Agree, Disagree, Dislike button is clicked, it also adds or subtracts a vote (Up/Down). Most members are not intentionally trying to manipulate the post voting system and simply using the Like, Agree, Disagree, Dislike buttons on the post to express their opinion regarding a comment.

Are you suggesting that members should not be allowed to disagree/dislike with other members opinions?

The incentive of allowing members to freely express their opinions (In compliance with the rules) as well as members being able to freely disagree with opinions (In compliance with the rules), is empowering members to self-moderate community content.

You can find more information about community moderation here: https://www.namepros.com/threads/namepros-november-2021-a-new-website-and-more.1041901/post-8516976 and here: https://www.namepros.com/threads/ba...-for-threats-on-namepros.1186257/post-7730322

We hope that information helps.
Yes. That's why influence within the community is important. The majority of members cannot downvote a single post 5 times. The majority can only contribute a single downvote. As your influence in the community climbs, you have more responsibility and influence over the points on a single post.

•••
You should remove the downvote part, not sure who thought that was a good idea. It’s more hive mind, coward, troll like territory with that kind of stuff. If somebody disagrees, they could simply hit reply and say why = more discussion. If there is more discussion, then maybe you can cut down on the no limit thread bumping that’s allowed

•••
Sorry to see your getting invisibly stabbed in the back. I gave you +3 when you posted but just not enough.
Mods, when ya gonna kill that invisible ⬆️⬇️bs?
Lets be democratic and have a vote.

And only last 10 pages. How are people dupposed to see those that invisibly downvoted them when you open that can of 🪱
namepros.com/blog/domain-name-investors-make-predictions-for-2023.1291544/comment-8803071
130E7CDE-17F2-4527-923E-B45363611DBD.png

•••
Thanks very much for your support @MasterOfMyDomains ♥️

Edit: While replying to you, somebody has downvoted the inquiry #86 don't know why? Lol

Untitled.png

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
Back