Dynadot

poll As a domain investor

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Are you for or against GoDaddy acquiring Uniregistry?

• 1st

Could Care less

votes
    57.8%
  • 2nd

Against

votes
    26.5%
  • 3rd

For

votes
    15.7%

• 83 votes
  • Ended 4 years ago
  • Final results

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
Are you for or against GoDaddy acquiring Uniregistry?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Prices will probably go up, on the bright side... maybe Uniregistry tech will help Godaddy.

•••
I'm split in half (no poll option for that :) )
If we can get access to GD's services via the vastly superior Uniregistry interface then I'm all for it.
If, however, all we see is Uni degrading to GD's approach then definitely NO.

•••
Public opinion seems to be split down the middle. Personally for the merger. Let them consolidate, it allows us to become a stronger and more logical choice for the nuanced investor that has experienced the ups and downs of those two individual providers.

Let competition decide, growth by merger is temporary. Active competition is where the rubber meets the road.

•••
I'm mostly indifferent as I dont really like either platform. That said I would imagine at some point Uni will get Afternic names added to its reg path which may be helpful.

PS shouldn't the last option be Couldn't care less? If you are able to care less than that means you care some then...:xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
Uniregistry design and interface are great. Sad thing GoDaddy is unlikely to adopt it.

•••
An alternative to godaddy for domainer atleast removed. Not good in terms of options for us

•••
Hi

maybe it will just be under the gd umbrella, like afternic and still operate independently, with some integrating functions.

hopefully, sellers on uni, won't lose ability to self-broker their own leads or the ppc differences between the two.

imo..

•••
I really dont care. I will still not have access to an API post-merger, LOL. :)

•••
It does not affect me personally in positive or negative way, I guess :)

•••
I am glad you did a poll question @equity78 and it will be interesting to see. I am not currently a Uniregistry customer, although do admire their landers and have heard good things about their agents.

I am glad for Frank S. as it must be so stressful running a big business and getting out with I am sure a huge payday is a fine reward for his success in the domain community.

In a way I am happy for GoDaddy as I think if the acquisition is done right it could well make GoDaddy/Afternic stronger, and the health of the domain industry depends on them continuing to do well in some senses.

But in the end, I voted no. I worry that Go Daddy / Afternic already have such a hugely dominant position as a registrar, with an aftermarket marketplace, in auctions and the expiry stream, and in other ways, that I am a little scared that being even more dominant could make them complacent, perhaps, or even if not, it might make the climate impossible for others to compete. I really think domain investors are best served if we have multiple successful marketplaces, expiry auction streams, etc.

Bob

•••
Of course I voted against...just gonna make getting those extra privacy fees easier for daddy as well as overcharging for registration. Hopefully Elon will not buy the daddy but rather start another reasonably priced registrar (assuming the buyouts continue).

btw, not to be a stickler, but shouldn't the phrase be 'could not care less'. Sorry, me mum was an English teacher. (sorry, been watching English films this evening)

•••
I voted against. No acquisition (in our industry) is good for the users. Period. All the history proves this. However, personally I was not affected - leaved Uni already... transferred remaining (not actively listed for sale) domains away in 2019, and for sale stuff was transferred away even before.

•••
I mean this sincerely, it doesn't matter. Your challenge is to make it work for you.

•••
If GD knows a thing or two about integration... and i believe they do.

They did buy Afternic..Not a Uni fan but the UX is the complete opposite of Godaddy’s.

Hopefully, incorporate all that made Uni great.

.Com hikes likely,so how this will result higher?

Samer

Last edited:
•••
I did not vote.
Their acquisition and balance sheet have nothing to do with me, so I have no objection.
But I don't like it, it keeps me alert to GD, just like the unification of the Roman Empire, so that other peoples can never sleep.

•••
congrats to Frank Schilling

I don't care, as I have left uniregistry for quite a while

for several reasons, I didn't like them at all

one of the reasons was that parking income has a threshold of $100 USD
which to me screams: the want to not pay a lot domainers who are making less
-all of you know how hard it can become to reach $100 USD in parking

(wonder what happens to all that money now)

I didn't like GoDaddy either all those years
but lately, their interface has improved a lot
so that GoDaddy has become my registrar of choice
where to move my epik .com domains to
(as I have to leave epik of course)

secondly after 82 inquiries and no sales,
I was disappointed with the way they handle sales leads

•••
I didn't like GoDaddy either all those years
but lately, their interface has improved a lot

I dont know if you're talking about the same interface that I see but wow, to me - it sucks. Lets start with the copy/paste of a domain name, or something else, from their domain manager. You take the mouse and hold down the left button, drag to the end of the domain name and release. Right? Well I have no visual idea if I've done that properly. This is what it looks like here and everywhere else that doesnt force color schemes on you:
upload_2020-2-12_12-43-33.png

There is a blue background highlighting the part of the text that you want to copy. Not so fast though at Godaddy. This is how they do it:
upload_2020-2-12_12-46-5.png

Can you tell that I highlighted the domain circled? Neither can I. Horrible. Frustrating. NOT user-friendly in the least. OK, maybe I shouldnt try to highlight over a darkened background on the grid SO, how about this:
upload_2020-2-12_12-48-38.png

I can BARELY see that. I am colorblind. My wife is not. She also thinks its quite faint. OK, so they didnt consult color blind persons.

But here's one that REALLY hurts... I've been a GD customer since the early 2000's. I have order history going back to Feb 2003. If I want to download receipts from my account I have to click their calendar control 12 times per year from 2020 back to 2003. Count that. Its 144 clicks for just the "from" date. The "to" date seems to follow the from date but in my case I wanted ALL receipts so now I have to click BACK to the current time which is another 144 or so clicks.

I click export and boom - error. Cant download more than 1500 receipts. Ugh. OK, its 2020 and bandwidth and all that should not be an issue but whatever. Stupid if you ask me.

So now I have to individually click the check box on each receipt/order and how many can I do at a time? As many as my fingers wont get fatigued clicking checkboxes with. Its insane. There is no one to speak to at the company about it. Dont say chat or telephone - they're both useless. Customer service via email was one of their strengths and someone decided to get rid of it and once that happened, IMO, the communication between customer and company was destroyed. I used to get so many questions answered, things fixed, was helped so wonderfully and then no more support via email. I hope they fired the dope that came up with that idea.

No offense to you personally but is THAT the new interface you're liking? Well, I cant stand it. LOL I guess one man's treasure is truly another's trash.

My names are moving out of GD as fast as I can move them. Its pretty sad given that I am a customer from almost their start.

•••
I dont know if you're talking about the same interface that I see but wow, to me - it sucks. Lets start with the copy/paste of a domain name, or something else, from their domain manager. You take the mouse and hold down the left button, drag to the end of the domain name and release. Right? Well I have no visual idea if I've done that properly. This is what it looks like here and everywhere else that doesnt force color schemes on you:
Show attachment 144466
There is a blue background highlighting the part of the text that you want to copy. Not so fast though at Godaddy. This is how they do it:
Show attachment 144468

Can you tell that I highlighted the domain circled? Neither can I. Horrible. Frustrating. NOT user-friendly in the least. OK, maybe I shouldnt try to highlight over a darkened background on the grid SO, how about this:
Show attachment 144469

I can BARELY see that. I am colorblind. My wife is not. She also thinks its quite faint. OK, so they didnt consult color blind persons.

But here's one that REALLY hurts... I've been a GD customer since the early 2000's. I have order history going back to Feb 2003. If I want to download receipts from my account I have to click their calendar control 12 times per year from 2020 back to 2003. Count that. Its 144 clicks for just the "from" date. The "to" date seems to follow the from date but in my case I wanted ALL receipts so now I have to click BACK to the current time which is another 144 or so clicks.

I click export and boom - error. Cant download more than 1500 receipts. Ugh. OK, its 2020 and bandwidth and all that should not be an issue but whatever. Stupid if you ask me.

So now I have to individually click the check box on each receipt/order and how many can I do at a time? As many as my fingers wont get fatigued clicking checkboxes with. Its insane. There is no one to speak to at the company about it. Dont say chat or telephone - they're both useless. Customer service via email was one of their strengths and someone decided to get rid of it and once that happened, IMO, the communication between customer and company was destroyed. I used to get so many questions answered, things fixed, was helped so wonderfully and then no more support via email. I hope they fired the dope that came up with that idea.

No offense to you personally but is THAT the new interface you're liking? Well, I cant stand it. LOL I guess one man's treasure is truly another's trash.

My names are moving out of GD as fast as I can move them. Its pretty sad given that I am a customer from almost their start.

I didn't say its a brilliant interface
I said :
I started not to HATE it anymore....

•••
hopefully, sellers on uni, won't lose ability to self-broker their own leads or the ppc differences between the two.

Will be interesting to see if that stays.

•••
Will be interesting to see if that stays.

to those who've self-brokered thru uni , it might be a top reason for using it

imo...

•••
I won't give GoDaddy my opinion 4 free.

•••
I wont touch anything that comes close to GoDaddy lol. have few domains listed on Uniregistry moving to dan for now.

•••
Good morning,

In my 50ish years on this planet I've yet to find an application, on-line form or website that doesn't have its own frustrations. Changing something small for an end-user may take many hours and cost thousands of dollars.

The important thing to remember here is not whether we (as Domain Name Investors) like one Company's process or ease of use more than anothers, but how the experience is for any potential end user.

There are so many different options available to us and it seems so important to save a few bucks when we register a new domain name but is that actually a false economy?

It may seem daunting to pay maybe $4 to $5 more at one company when we perhaps have hundreds of domain names. However, the important thing to remember is the end user. They will probably only ever have one good/great domain name to renew every year and a $25 renewal fee will not even be considered as significant to them in the great scheme of things. They will probably have a third party web developer running their domain name and website etc. so will probably just receive an invoice once a year.

However, would they or their third party web developer want to buy a domain name from Godaddy or from another company they may never have heard of or may only have had a limited experience of dealing with.

Sometimes, being the biggest can be seen as a positive rather than a negative and we should embrace that perception. Sure, if we pay a few dollars more we can always add that on at the back end.

Winner-winner...low fat bean burger for dinner.

Last edited:
•••
Uni has a better interface that GD for sure. I hope they can adopt it as their main interface.

•••
Back