Dynadot

poll Are You Making Money, Losing Money, Don't Know

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Are you making money domaining, losing money, or just don't really know?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Making Money

• Losing Money

• Not Sure

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
Are you making money domaining, losing money, or just don't really know? Feel free to comment!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sold 7 in my 1st month of domaining. i am pretty happy. Average profit like $290 per after all expenses.

•••
•••
Only reason I'm still here is because I'm making money :-,

•••
so far I'm negative, but just started a bit over a year ago and have been mostly in buy mode to get a portfolio going. Starting to get some sales though.

•••
Anyone losing money
so far I'm negative, but just started a bit over a year ago and have been mostly in buy mode to get a portfolio going. Starting to get some sales though.
I am negative over Q4 of 2015 and Q1 of 2016. During this time I was acquiring many domains. I'm in selling mode now. :)

•••
Most ppl that give domain investing a go lose money. They're just in denial.

•••
1% industry portfolio turnover (pre new TLDs) meant there was a lot of inventory waiting for a buyer and likely priced higher than any buyer was willing to pay

With 15 million new registrations the last couple years there is even more inventory waiting for a buyer. Keyword.xyz is probably priced lower than the equivalent .COM but is there an end user willing to pay a premium price for it? I often see .XYZ domains at Godaddy Auctions (for keywords I have in other TLDs) priced at five figures.

•••
I'm like Trump, don't really want to disclose that yet, maybe later. ;)

•••
Agreed with @mad409 will mention later :p

On a serious note, I made profit so far even if not much but now I have many auctions on Namejet coming up so I might hit some big green

•••
•••
I am making money, but just as I was getting big headed :P, I've experienced less requests and sales in April and May.

Ps. My turnover was about 13-14% last year, but my average sale is "only" about $450.

•••
I'm into domaining since February of this year and I'm cash flow negative. I've made one sale so far at $2,000 and spent $3,500 building my portfolio.

•••
I'm into domaining since February of this year and I'm cash flow negative. I've made one sale so far at $2,000 and spent $3,500 building my portfolio.
One or two more sales and you're to the positive. Congrats on your sale!

•••

Not many can build a portfolio without having to invest at start. You are doing great!

•••
•••
Most of my earnings is re-invested or put aside for taxes, but I do take out about 10-15 percent for myself. Otherwise, what would be the point.

•••
Lost. Then gained. Lost again. Gained. Then gained. Gained again and again... and it goes on! :xf.wink:

•••
Lost. Then gained. Lost again. Gained. Then gained. Gained again....and it goes on! :xf.wink:

Maybe you should adopt a quarterly average balance thing?! :P *just kidding*

•••
I've only broken even, since the last 2 years, thanks to a couple of sales. But in reality, someone could say that because time is money, I've lost a lot of it, because of the amount of time I've spent domaining, just to break even. Time is money, so I've lost a lot of money in that respect. But the most important point of all of this is that I'm LEARNING.

I'm calling CEOs, getting to know them, making friends, negotiating with cheap buyers. scaring off domainers emailing me with low ball offers, realizing the shit domains I've regged and painfully dropping names that "sound nice" instead of renewing in denial, changing my strategy, trying new things, letting go of bad habits,....it's actually a lot fun.

I'm learning a lot and enjoying the ride, so at the of the day even if I'm losing money, I know that the journey will eventually shape me into a solid domainer someday as I'm learning from my mistakes, one day at a time.

•••
If you are consistently losing money in domaining, you are doing it wrong. I became involved with the domain industry in 2008, started investing in 2009 and lost money that year because I still didn't completely know what I was doing. After that, it has been all profit.

There are many reasons why you could be losing money. But there are a few common ones.

1) You still haven't developed the necessary skills to invest in the right domains, so you are buying names people don't want.

2) Your domains are overpriced, which means your expectations do not match the quality of your domains.

3) You are not promoting your domains the right way (listing, outbound, landing page, etc.)

•••
Landing pages are very important!

•••
From the last couple of years I have been making profit into 6 figs in domain sales (2014-2015). Won't be surprised to have similar results at the end of this year ;)

Last edited:
•••
I only recouped may be 10% of my Investments... learning to spot good domains.. and saying NO to law ball offers on some good domains I have.. And hoping for the Best Pay Day... but then again whether it's Luck/Blessings what ever you call it... you ought to have it a little..

Think of the guy who owned TheStores - com after a long wait no sales/offers He dropped it. MikeBerkens won it in an auction.. n within a month sold it for 50k.. Right product/Right person/Right place.... So the Lucky/Blessed guy was not the Original owner but the Second One.

•••
From the last couple of years I have been making profit into 6 figs in domain sales (2014-2015). Won't be surprised to have similar results at the end of this year ;)

Haha.. You're killing it man. Congrats..

•••
Back