IT.COM

domains Are you looking to do anything differently in 2021 when it comes to domaining?

NameSilo
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
Domaining 2021 For some 5 or 6 years of middling .coms or new gtlds has not panned out. Some have told me they really wished they had abandoned domain names and put all their time and money into crypto. 2020 certainly has been a trying year around the globe in dealing with things much more important than domain names. But this is a domain blog so I am going to keep the topic on domain … [Read more...]

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Trying to focus less on quantity and more on quality. The numbers game can work if you have an eye for it but it's better to look at upcoming renewal fees and instinctively want to pay them rather than feel 'iffy' or about them.

Last edited:
•••
I'm looking to get back into domaining a little bit.

I diversified to BitCoin, stocks, bonds, real estate, and CDs to have a better liquid asset nest egg. But, I neglected domaining for a couple of years.

Right now, I have development in the works and my portfolio is just shy of 200 names with sales here and there.

The only thing I want to do differently is experiment more and teach what I've learned.

Right now, I am spending the $600 stimulus checks on domains to see if it can exceed the $1200 stimulus check I put in a separate stock trading account that sits between $12,500-$13,100.

There were massive gains in stocks, but I did day trade a bit on it, not executing more than 3 trades a week since the Covid low in March, and I used about 40% margin. The margin is a bit high, but supported as I put next to nothing in it compared to the market value.

I want to see whether $1200 will return more in the markets over 5-years or $600 with good names and hopefully, an average of $2250 a name, which I'm unsure will result in a higher gain as the market does go up 12% a year on average in the S&P 500 (more with the winners that I selected).

Either way, it'll be a tight race.

•••
Ok, let's say I list at Afternic, and I use ns3.afternic.com and ns4.afternic.com .. then what,.. would buyers directly make offers, or would I still get price requests only? .. I prefer to deal with endusers in realtime. ..Buyers will go to GD, and a GD agent will make a price request at AN, I will respond to it, and my response (prices) will go to GD agent and not to enduser directly. too complicated and risky process.
Also I don't want agents to delay those price requests just because the domain is about to expire, and dropcatch would be more profitable.

Interesting, so what are you planning to do instead?

•••
Realized that a good domain sells by itself.

Hi

i agree
and if one didn't see that in 2020, then a refocus may be necessary for 2021.

as for doing something different this year
maybe raise prices, and increase purchasing budget.

considering the rising cost to replace similar quality domains that have sold, back to the portfolio,
one may have to sell less domains at higher prices, to offset replacement cost.

so, get your offers in, before that happens :)

imo...

•••
will drop less. Most of the domains I dropped are now established websites, including non-king's. Most people are after owning domains for reg fee. They watch and wait for 5+ years for a possible drop just to avoid buying it now for mere $500 even $200. Their determination and patience is very impressing.

•••
Interesting, so what are you planning to do instead?

I don't have a plan. I think big players are abusing their power. ..maybe act as a fake buyer and expose their dirty methods.

still can give Afternic a try. Sedo needs to be punished for removing generic domains because of conflict of interest with unknown parties.

Last edited:
•••
My goals for 2021 and beyond:

I want to trim my portfolio to around 150 domains so that it will be easier for me to manage as a hobbyist and collector. Although even at 150 domains I am still going to try to improve the quality of my collection by finding better domains (mostly through hand registering) and getting rid of some of the lesser quality ones in order to keep my portfolio the same size.

I also want to showcase my collection by using one the domains that I had registered recently for this purpose:

either

NorthStarDomains.com

and/or

NameGalleria.com

My ultimate goal is to be able to sell a domain for a million dollars so that I can do some charity work and perhaps create more awareness around the issues that are ailing Humanity and our Home Planet by creating my own nonprofit organization.

IMO

Last edited:
•••
Their determination and patience is very impressing.
Domaining is interesting in that regard: With investments paying a dividend or interest, the more you keep it, you more you earn (at least, that's the plan and what's supposed to happen). With domains, the more you keep them, the more it COSTS you! (unless you manage to get more from parking than the renewal fee, but do many domains achieve this?)

I guess, only people who NEED the domain enough will psychologically accept to pay x times the hand reg fee. "Only" $300 is still 35+ times the $8.50 you can get an available .com for. If they don't need it and it's only for a side project, they will do as you say...

Last edited:
•••
will drop less. Most of the domains I dropped are now established websites, including non-king's. Most people are after owning domains for reg fee. They watch and wait for 5+ years for a possible drop just to avoid buying it now for mere $500 even $200. Their determination and patience is very impressing.

Same here. Either that or it goes to Huge Domains.

Now, I buy domains I know I'm going to stick it out with.

•••
I am almost at the point of selling most of my domains at BIN prices. I've been promising to do this for at least 3 years now. But it will be become fact this month. I am raising the prices of my domains sold on my website (well most didn't have any prices), and adding 25% to that for my Afternic Sales Prices. Primarily because I think I'm selling at too low price in this market. Most of my Afternic sales in 2020 were fixed price sales, although most of my domains are currently Make Offer, at Afternic. But as I've said, most will be fixed price by end of this month.

I at least achieved cash-flow break even in 2020 on 7 domains sold, plus over 100 domains sold at fire sale prices on NP's. I've sold 1 domain already at fixed price from my website in 2021. One swallow doesn't make a summer. But it's a start. My revenues in 2020 were approx half of 2019. It was a tough year.

On top of the 1/3rd reduction in my portfolio in 2020, I probably still have some way to go in my portfolio reduction, and I've pretty much got a settled criteria on what to drop from my past experience. I'm looking at probably another 1/3rd reduction this year as well. But this will be much harder to achieve, I think.

Should I try DAN or anywhere else? Or should I stick with just my own website (which has the landers) and Afternic?

I'm continuing to develop my website software to support this strategy.

Last edited:
•••

I disagree. There would be no domainers or domaining if everyone (end users) just waited for drops. They also would likely never get the domain.

Even when a name drops if its any good domainers will fight it out at auction and the person (end user) still won’t have it. That is likely what happened in your case, you dropped domainers picked it up and sold it.

•••
I am almost at the point of selling most of my domains at BIN prices. I've been promising to do this for at least 3 years now. But it will be become fact this month. I am raising the prices of my domains sold on my website (well most didn't have any prices), and adding 25% to that for my Afternic Sales Prices. Primarily because I think I'm selling at too low price in this market. Most of my Afternic sales in 2020 were fixed price sales, although most of my domains are currently Make Offer, at Afternic. But as I've said, most will be fixed price by end of this month.

I at least achieved cash-flow break even in 2020 on 7 domains sold, plus over 100 domains sold at fire sale prices on NP's. I've sold 1 domain already at fixed price from my website in 2021. One swallow doesn't make a summer. But it's a start. My revenues in 2020 were approx half of 2019. It was a tough year.

On top of the 1/3rd reduction in my portfolio in 2020, I probably still have some way to go in my portfolio reduction, and I've pretty much got a settled criteria on what to drop from my past experience. I'm looking at probably another 1/3rd reduction this year as well. But this will be much harder to achieve, I think.

Should I try DAN or anywhere else? Or should I stick with just my own website (which has the landers) and Afternic?

List on Dan, domains will receive more inquiries/offers there than on an independent/unknown website where direct communication is involved, it has some google/trustpilot juice and a user-friendly/automated interface for novice/shy-types.

And list every single name you own on afternic with a bin price. Give it six months and you too will become a believer.

Last edited:
•••
Backorders? Or you didn't mention it on purpose because it's a highly secret technique? ;)
No high secret, but I don't know! :xf.eek:
I actually almost never meaningfully use the expired lists, so searching those, particularly outside the legacy 3 extensions is one possibility to add.
I admire those who find undertulized, or unused, names and acquire them privately. I would live to try that a bit in .ca but not sure if I will.
I am thinking about a few other possibilities. Thanks for question.
Bob

•••
In 2021, I'm planning to build a portfolio of 500 brandable .com names on Squadhelp, Brandbucket and Alter. In addition, I'm planning to register 1000 .co domains this year. My first target is on track, but I'm having a hard time with the second one (did .co domains become that popular? I hardly ever find decent dropping .co-s).

Anyway, I've created some tools in Excel that makes me able to 1) do daily domaining tasks in an organized way 2) collect brandable sales and create new combinations based on the sold names fast. I've also started backordering domains. I'll put a lot more effort into domaining in 2021, in order to at least double my 2020 profit.

•••
i plan to invest new domains at low cost and make it developed by website and flip these domains with huge value in future. According to my history i personally maintain some rules before investing any domain. such as ..

1. total history check of a domain
2. spam check
3. google index check
4. trademark check
5. domain black list check
6. domain niche check
7. try to invest short keyword domain with future brand
8. etc.

by following these studies i have also got good feedback . Now i know that this study really works ! So in future my plan is to continue domaining. thanks to all.

Last edited:
•••
Build up my portfolio with a much more quality approach rather than focusing on quantity. I sold/liquidated a lot of my domain portfolio recently do to a few different factors.

I also plan to closely monitor domain sales that particularly change hands to an end user and try to learn how I can acquire names that end users truly want.

In regards to TLD choices, I'm most likely going to continue to favor the .COM market. Boring? Yes...but they sell. =)

-Omar

•••
Till now I was buying x-xx range & selling XXX-XXXX range.
Now will upgrade to buy mostly (XX-) XXX range
( Goal - At Least 100 3figure purchase)
&

try to sell for (XXXX-)XXXXX range.
(Goal At least - One five figure sell)
+ start one Blog

Last edited:
•••
As 2 months of 2021 went by without even saying goodbye, my goals have started to shift. I will be focussing on growing my portfolio more with quantity.

For Low quality domains, the whole sale prices haven't changed but higher quality names have become very expensive, and lower quality names do sell at a decent sell through if you are pricing correctly.

Will I will try to add higher quality names, I am trying to stay away from XX-XXX names. So I will to acquire more X-XX names at the lower end and XXXX-XXXXX at the higher end.

•••
to not repeat the same mistakes again.

•••
•••

Good for you stub....mine is a little more bold and progressive for which I've been gifted the perfect domain;

DestroyDotCom.xxxxxx

Ironically Verisign is on my side(y) Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back