Dynadot

tips Are you constantly looking at lander page hit counts and changing your prices? Read this

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Imagine for just a moment that you opened a giant clothing store that sells clothing from all brands. For a few months now everyday 3000 people are walking in the store but nobody is buying anything, what would you do? Probably you would start lowering the prices.

You lowered all the prices, you offer an interest free 36 month payment plan, but still nobody is buying anything except one or two people came in and got the best you have for a fraction of the regular price.

You hire a few experts to figure out what is happening and you figure out that almost every last person that has entered your shop so far was some form of ghost / robot, they were not people that could buy anything. In fact, even if you offered to pay them to take the clothing they wouldn't take anything.

Of the 300,000 people that walked in only 2 were real humans and they ended up paying you almost nothing for your items because you lowered all your prices under false pretenses.

When you own a portfolio of domains and you look at all the hits your pages are getting you might be very tempted to start playing with the prices. After a few months some of your really good names got many hits but nobody bothered to make an offer or to buy anything.

You add financing options, lower your price, and still nothing is happening. You tweak some more and finally you get a notice that you made a sale but the price is so low that you start wondering "did I really set that buy now price so low? Did someone hack my Afternic / Dan account and lower the price?"

Almost every hit your page gets is from bots or people coming there from old links, they are not buyers of your name. Rarely will someone come to your domain because they want to buy it and when they do, there is a good conversion rate especially if you offer financing. However, if you kept lowering your prices because all those ghost hits played with your brain, you will end up always selling your names for cheap.

Set a price for your domain (except in cases that you have real premiums) and offer financing if you like but after that you must sit and wait, forget that you even own the name.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Imagine for just a moment that you opened a giant clothing store that sells clothing from all brands. For a few months now everyday 3000 people are walking in the store but nobody is buying anything, what would you do? Probably you would start lowering the prices.

You lowered all the prices, you offer an interest free 36 month payment plan, but still nobody is buying anything except one or two people came in and got the best you have for a fraction of the regular price.

You hire a few experts to figure out what is happening and you figure out that almost every last person that has entered your shop so far was some form of ghost / robot, they were not people that could buy anything. In fact, even if you offered to pay them to take the clothing they wouldn't take anything.

Of the 300,000 people that walked in only 2 were real humans and they ended up paying you almost nothing for your items because you lowered all your prices under false pretenses.

When you own a portfolio of domains and you look at all the hits your pages are getting you might be very tempted to start playing with the prices. After a few months some of your really good names got many hits but nobody bothered to make an offer or to buy anything.

You add financing options, lower your price, and still nothing is happening. You tweak some more and finally you get a notice that you made a sale but the price is so low that you start wondering "did I really set that buy now price so low? Did someone hack my Afternic / Dan account and lower the price?"

Almost every hit your page gets is from bots or people coming there from old links, they are not buyers of your name. Rarely will someone come to your domain because they want to buy it and when they do, there is a good conversion rate especially if you offer financing. However, if you kept lowering your prices because all those ghost hits played with your brain, you will end up always selling your names for cheap.

Set a price for your domain (except in cases that you have real premiums) and offer financing if you like but after that you must sit and wait, forget that you even own the name.

I see mixed advice here.

Looking at hits, yeah, that's not something you should worry about. That's the part I agree with.

But set and forget price strategy, that's an entire can of worms altogether. Which I strongly disagree with. Because you assume, in this case, that you have set THE RIGHT prices. Otherwise, correct me if I'm wrong, you're going to do one of these 2 things, or both:

1) Lose money (either by not selling due to steep price, or having a terrible % sales ratio, OR making too little - if price is too low)

2) Lose sales information - if price is too high. This is a very bad thing as it not only brings losses, but it also delays your learning and growth.

The latter has a huge chance to happen, I'd say much more than first. Because you see, we have our price in mind but most often customer has a different (lower) price in mind. And which price should you actually set, I must ask: The one you think about OR the one the customer would agree on?

Well, most domainers here are still learning. The set and forget strategy is, perhaps, suitable only for a domainer in full maturity stage that know exactly what price to use. I can bet 95%+ of the users here do NOT fall into that category. And if they did, then this whole post is pointless as it's clearly not intended for the top guys cause they know about hits, it's basic for them.

Constantly tweaking prices is something that brought me success, and not only to me - there are lots of others here doing it. Like myself, they test, discount and sell a lot before expiry - where price is fluid and all possibilities and market levels are open. Due to fluid pricing, I'm enjoying a very fast growth rate, staying in profit all the time and also with great cashflow.

I change prices each week or so. Most I have left them untouched for a month. And there's always good result when I change them - either sell at higher price, or, most often, sell way more through a lower price. And since the sales % ratio is the most important factor in domaining, having a 5% or 6% average sales ratio is a perfect way to, again, not only stay liquid but also grow fast. If your skills are up to the task, of course; otherwise you should probably not be in this biz.

Best of all, I'm learning a lot each day through the names sold. At 299, 499 or 750 etc - all discount prices, significantly lower than what would be my "set and forget price".

Of course, there can be such a strategy as a set and forget. But I'm going to bet it will be much less effective than using fluid pricing and adjusting often to what the market has to offer.

(edited for clarity)

Last edited:
•••
I never lower prices unless I am dropping the name. You never get what you don’t ask for. Some simple research can give you a starting point. Really when you buy a name you should know is this a low flipper or a hold for end user.

Some people are only aiming for end users. Others want to sell at any price. No way is right or wrong. I do not hover or constantly check things but this is a great post for people who take stats as hard indicators a name is about to sell.

•••
Imagine this instead of a lander try a few pages as traffic more than doubles or multiplies by 100. Landers offer very little insight into domain capabilities. As far as setting prices that is ine if have one name in same niche but i wouldn't be price pointing portfolio.

•••
  • I read this article carefully,thanks for your sharing.It`s useful to me
  • When I set up landing pages, I don't calibrate prices,
  • I will just leave an email, if interested buyers see this domain name or search this domain name, he will naturally contact me and give me a offer
  • just like xlhc@com,looking forward to your opinion

•••
  • I read this article carefully,thanks for your sharing.It`s useful to me
  • When I set up landing pages, I don't calibrate prices,
  • I will just leave an email, if interested buyers see this domain name or search this domain name, he will naturally contact me and give me a offer
  • just like xlhc@com,looking forward to your opinion
According to Godaddy - Afternic domains priced under 10k are often impulse buys. https://www.afternic.com/sales-acceleration

When you want to sell a product like that you need to allow the buyer to buy right away without any delay.

I think for names higher than 10k obviously your way is good but for domains you want to sell for less I would try a buy now option.

Thanks

•••

Fantastic article and observation!

•••

Very true, a lot of domains that sell for big money might have had little or no interest before. I once sold a .tv for $10,000 that never had a unique visitor.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back