Dynadot

discuss Are you actually making money off domaining?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
I was going through this thread that has the question "How profitable was domaining in 2017 for you?"
Here are the votes:

Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 2.34.05 AM.png

For those who lost money, are you keeping a close track of your investment, your time input and your asset base with the domain names?

I would suggest, as someone who has been on both the negative and the positive side of the loop(negative between 1k-10k and positive between $1k-$50k over the years), would advice you to track your money and time investment.

I would also recommend you to track daily sales and learn from your investment, success and failures of others as well.

If you are losing money in domaining, you are either building a long term asset or doing it wrong. That's what my experience has been in domaining.

If your loss is something that you expect would pay off big next year, that's considerable.
If not, if that is an outright loss for the year, I may suggest/remind you to reconsider your strategy, change it, experiment and you might have something amazing.

Also, I would recommend to see what time you are investing, whether you are learning or not and whether you are making a business out of those investments or not.

Just a small suggestion.

Thoughts/advice/criticism/discussions are appreciated.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I even don't know my profit...
Because almost all money I then reinvest again into the domains... and portfolio size is always growing and growing...

•••
I even don't know my profit...
Because almost all money I then reinvest again into the domains... and portfolio size is always growing and growing...
Start it now.
It's good that the portfolio is growing. But keep a track of your time and money investment.
Use excel.
If you wish to track time, I have a 30 day challenge tracker.
Anything that can be quantified can be improved!

Attachments

• 30daychallen.pdf
    211.4 KB · Views: 70
•••
I need to keep better records but I am several thousand down at this point. I got a little over enthusiastic on drops. I feel have some decent names but I have cut back spending until I make some decent sales. Hopefully I make a bot frenzy fueled fortune today 😊

•••
•••
I am definitely in the green, but it has been a roller coaster ride for me. Very inconsistent. As of right now, I am really focused on being patient and long term holding/appreciation over short term gains. Will see how it plays out over time. (y)

Last edited:
•••
I think it great that you are aiding Namepro members to keep track of both time and investment in domains. From my own perspective the time I treat more as 'Hobby' time otherwise I like many would definitely be in negative-territory. And I would probably only be following another non-profit alternative hobby otherwise.

After 18 years as well (for me) I do think you have to look at the long term picture, Some years are certainly better than others, mostly depending on how active I am on the sales front in any given month i.e. outbound, price amendments etc.

I'm certainly winding-down my domain investments quite substantially, from owning upwards of 2,000 domains in 2000 to 2007 to around 200 today. Of course a lot of those initial 2000 have been sold over the years due to all the internet start-ups that really the same numbers aren't around today. Today you need something really eye-catching and Not just descriptive to pull in that big or even x,xxx sale.

that's great that you seem to have had a such a great response to the survey - That bit of anonymity allows us all to help paint the wider picture.

ps - better also 'Survey' how much weight you've put on while domaining. :xf.sick:

Last edited:
•••
Back