Dynadot

discuss Are two-word brandables the next big thing?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I've been seeing a surge in interest for 2-word brandables.

Are they the next solid investment/Goldmine?

What makes a good two word brandable?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I was just talking last night with some friends about this trend. Yes is a good investment, has a lot of potential, but a small percentage for striking the goldmine. But is pretty hard to hit the perfect scenario by relating an adjective and a noun, something like BeautifulDogs.com. What makes a 2 word domain brandable and catchy in my personal opinion? Rhymes! like FlowerPower, BestFest or GoodFood, etc. Just my 2 cents... B-)

•••
So all my 2 word domains are now brandable?

•••
•••
Good Food rhymes, but how does it become a brandable?

•••
Good Food rhymes, but how does it become a brandable?

How does it rhyme ? Yes it is a decent two word brandable, a brand would use Good Food in that industry imo, a name like SuperSeats.com was a two word brandable Mike Berkens sold for $48,888 after buying 8 years earlier for $700.

Two word brandables, portmanteaus, they have been in demand for awhile, not the next thing, @michaeljkrell sells plenty of them on BrandBucket.

•••
@equity78 - You have to ask how Good and Food rhymes? I must be losing something in my senility. And I still fail to understand how this is a brandable? Can you give me an example of using this as a brandable? Because using it to blog or sell good food, is using it as an EMD, IMHO.

•••
@equity78 - You have to ask how Good and Food rhymes? I must be losing something in my senility. And I still fail to understand how this is a brandable? Can you give me an example of using this as a brandable? Because using it to blog or sell good food, is using it as an EMD, IMHO.

How is this brandable? lol. The food niche is very rich in content, also eating healty is a strong trend. You can build a brand around a domain like this in so may ways. As an example, let's say you manage to bring together some chefts with influence, and write some quality content (blogging is small thinking for a domain like this), and build a fanbase, not necessalry selling food. If you want to sell something, you can do this with ebooks, breaking down the portal in sub-niches and sell "packed content" yes people buy this kind of reading material; healty food for kids, summer diets, vegan, etc.. Another example is use the domain for a restaurant, food boutique, or any other offline food business, of course you don't build a brand over-night, by buying a logo from fiverr (lol). This can be brandable in so many ways.

Give me this domain, and I'll turn the world upside down B-)

•••
Very generic dictionary word names cannot be branded, rest everything can be technically branded. I have chiropractice.net and chiropratice.com guy tried to tell me that he has trademarked chiropractice word (yeah, right!)

- I do not think it has to do anything with rhyming.

Just making up some names, Best Seats.com - very generic two word name - can be branded if they have something unique, I am sure they guarantee best seats through some process - which is what will get them trademarked. Survey Monkey.com, Mail Chimp.com - not a common combination of words - can be easily branded compared to two commonly used two worders like Best Seats.com. But keep in mind, it is not the name itself but the underlying process that can get you branded.

•••
Don't miss the point, brandable is just a term. Two words together can be great or rubbish, depends on if they sound good, go well together and make sense.

ie: Brand Bee is better than Brand Wasp

The english language has many words that work well together, you should speak the words to yourself first and you can normally tell which ones work together.

•••
I think two words together doesn't have to rhyme to be brandable, but they have to make sense or have some creative connection.

Creative; brandbucket, Joyride, SquareSpace, AnswerBag....
make sense: GoodEats, TwoGuys, namePros, PriceTag...

•••
Even negative words can be used in a good way...

Bad Blood
Evil Genius

•••
No rhyme or reason, it can be branded...

•••
Generic words can be branded and even trademarked, but doing so can be difficult and are more likely to be challenged.

It's a pretty fuzzy area IMO.

•••
BluePotatos.com is brandable if I'm not referring to potatoes, but referring to my kids :) This kinda justifies the statement that anything can be brandable. But first and foremost GoodFood.com is an EMD. But of course it can be branded because anything can be branded. But I just can't see it. I need enlightenment.

Which is what prompted my earlier comment "So all my 2 word domains are now brandable?". A facetious remark in case you missed it :)

Last edited:
•••
Which is what prompted my earlier comment "So all my 2 word domains are now brandable?". A facetious remark in case you missed it :)
Just Do It.

•••
I was actually going to suggest we try making a word go with potato, and you did it already, blue works quite well hehe

•••
BluePotatoes if you refer to 'blue potatoes' as world knows it, you cannot trademark it, if you refer to anything else, you can.

•••
@NameFit - Of course you can trademark Blue Potatos. In my suggestion, my kids could be running a florist business as Blue Potatos. That's the beauty of branding it. (or is that what you are saying?)

•••
@stub - yes that is correct (as you said it) - what matters is that you cannot trademark something for 'what normally it is used for' or 'referred to' (basically by trademarking you are telling that you cannot use this name for the purpose for which you have used before. You cannot trademark blue potatoes as 'Blue Potatoes' to be your TM.

•••
@NameFit - I only realized we were in agreement at the end of my previous post :)

•••
You have 2 word brandables that make sense and are creative(see my previous post). These are solid investments and can be moved. BUT then you have 2 word brandables that don't necessary have a direct connection..or make immediate sense, but they are two random words..like bluepine.com, Godaddy.com, hostmonster.com, hostgator.com...

•••

Maybe it not senility but where you live, here in the U.S. good does not rhyme with food

As anyone who’s ever tried to learn the language knows, English is full of contradictions and inconsistencies.

Why does four rhyme with store, but not hour?

Why don’t blood, food and good rhyme, yet blue, crew, through and moo sound the same?

Toronto artist and musician Mitchell Moffit rhymes off a long list of these maddening quirks in his latest video for AsapTHOUGHT, reciting excerpts from classic texts by Richard Lederer and Richard Krogh highlighting the baffling rules that govern our language.

Moffit is also the co-creator of AsapSCIENCE, a popular YouTube channel dedicated to explaining fascinating facts about our world.

As for the reason why English has so many confusing words — well, our modern language has roots in German, Latin and French, which creates contradictory pronunciations and spellings.

Dear teacher and friends,
I have a question about the pronunciation of food and good.
/fu:d/ vs /gʊd/
Why _ood of food is pronounced u: and _ood of good is pronounced ʊ?

There is no system at all. You just have to learn each word as it comes

/u:/ - food, boot, cool, google, moon
/ʊ/ - look, good, wool, foot

•••
You have 2 word brandables that make sense and are creative(see my previous post). These are solid investments and can be moved. BUT then you have 2 word brandables that don't necessary have a direct connection..or make immediate sense, but they are two random words..like bluepine.com, Godaddy.com, hostmonster.com, hostgator.com...

Agreed it is why colors work well and a lot of people use them, BlueHippo, RedEnvelope etc... Then there are major brands who use a generic one word for something other than the generic meaning,

Mango - Fashion
Amazon - Books, ecommerce
Apple - computers

I think animals are popular too, SmartShark - MailChimp - Red Dog

SuperSeats.com works well for a company selling tickets online. They paid $48,888.

•••
How does it rhyme ? Yes it is a decent two word brandable, a brand would use Good Food in that industry imo, a name like SuperSeats.com was a two word brandable Mike Berkens sold for $48,888 after buying 8 years earlier for $700.

Two word brandables, portmanteaus, they have been in demand for awhile, not the next thing, @michaeljkrell sells plenty of them on BrandBucket.
We just listed-waiting to publish on BrandBucket-GoodBuddies.com and FundClient.com both hand regs. so we'll see re two words and how they sell for us.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back