Dynadot

guide Are the dropped names actually left overs from in house expiring auctions?

NameSilo
Watch

Akhilesh.Kumar

Established Member
Impact
The Drop and Catch or the Drop and Snap games can go limitless for the participants.
But I am curious, the GoDaddy Expiring Auctions or Dynodot or similar auctions try to sell off the inventory that's about to drop and not renewed by the owner. They still have registry rights on the names and the auction happens only on specific platform where registered.

Thus, is any dropping name is only a leftover of such in house expiring auctions?
Something that's not renewed and not sold and dropped?

If so, how come super valuable names end up in the 'Catch' basket?

I may be missing something. Please help me understand if I am not clear about the drop process...
Guide me please. :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The pool of dropping names is vast and some registrars do not do auctions at all. The name just drops. So the drop lists consist of names no one picked up either by passing on it or they are at a registrar without drop auctions and the name just dropped. GoDaddy gets lots of streams but they do not get all dropping names.

Last edited:
•••
The pool of dropping names is vast and some registrars do not do auctions at all. The name just drops. So the drop lists consist of names no one picked up either by passing on it or they are at a registrar without drop auctions and the name just dropped. GoDaddy gets lots of streams but they do not get all dropping names.

Thanks a lot.
So to summarize, it's better to check on expiring auctions at registrars rather to check the dropped inventory.
Is it so?
As you said, probably the reason could be that not all registrars go for expiring auctions, gems gets dropped. For expiring auctions, gems gets collected before getting dropped.

I guess.
Now makes sense.

;)

•••

Thanks a lot.
So to summarize, it's better to check on expiring auctions at registrars rather to check the dropped inventory.
Is it so?
As you said, probably the reason could be that not all registrars go for expiring auctions, gems gets dropped. For expiring auctions, gems gets collected before getting dropped.

I guess.
Now makes sense.

;)

•••
You should check both for good names. Problem with the registrar auctions is the owner can sometimes still renew it if they watch the auction. If its put to auction and no one bids then it goes into true pending delete (drop) status.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back