Dynadot

Are people faking BrandBucket accepted names here to auction?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

dncafe

I Buy WebsitesTop Member
Impact
I've been seeing a lot of auctions here on NP that say "Brancbucket accepted", yet many of these names were only registered within the last week or so.

How long does it currently take to get a name on Brandbucket recently?

Here is an example of an auction with a domain that was registered on August 8th and then listed here at auction on August 14th. 6 days from domain creation doesn't seem like enough time to be accepted on Brandbucket and then list on here at auction:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/flipvia-com-brandbucket-accepted-1.874383/

Screenshot if deleted/edited: http://i.imgur.com/P9L26q2.png

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes the 30% is steep, but its just a cost of doing business. As I have posted before, run up their appraised price and that will cover most, if not all, of the commission. If it finds me a buyer that I wouldn't have otherwise found, then its money well spent. Non-Keyword Brandables are a unique subset of domaining. You can't just reach out and contact an end user as easily. Reaching an end user is much harder than if you have keywords and an industry to search.

•••
Yes the 30% is steep, but its just a cost of doing business. As I have posted before, run up their appraised price and that will cover most, if not all, of the commission. If it finds me a buyer that I wouldn't have otherwise found, then its money well spent. Non-Keyword Brandables are a unique subset of domaining. You can't just reach out and contact an end user as easily. Reaching an end user is much harder than if you have keywords and an industry to search.

Many domainers don't reach out. They are passive sellers.

•••
I'd go as far as to say most.

•••
I personally think Brand Bucket and the likes are total rip offs.

Don't they charge a 30% commission?
Shane-I've asked many many times on the BB thread and BrandBucket refuses to tell sellers what the "Ratio" of sales are re: 6% of listing etc. so I'm really starting to think you could be right.

•••
The ratio is useless because domains are not equal, there always a big pile of poo even when you have to be accepted.

If BrandBucket has a policy that you have to resubmit after the domain changes owners, might mute this need.

Another thing for the sales mods to do, props to them

•••
The ratio is useless because domains are not equal, there always a big pile of poo even when you have to be accepted.

If BrandBucket has a policy that you have to resubmit after the domain changes owners, might mute this need.

Michael Krell knows about the auctions and said they are perfectly legit, no resubmit, just tell BrandBucket to move the name from one account to another account.

•••
Michael Krell knows about the auctions and said they are perfectly legit, no resubmit, just tell BrandBucket to move the name from one account to another account.

Yep and my prediction is that BB will soon see that there is revenue to be made and they will implement a "transfer fee".

Edit: I want to add that this is pure speculation on my part, and I'm not saying it's a bad thing or a good thing. There is a labor cost and if it becomes burdensome I might do the same thing if it were my decision.

Last edited:
•••

Couldn't disagree more. Brandbucket is a numbers game ( even as stated by Michael Krell) and the moving "ratio" is exceptionally important to the probabilities as they relate to time on the site etc, or whatever data you want to include, to the standard deviation from the center line of a "time" based algo. . If I had the time I'd put it into an algorithm but I don't-so we'll have to agree to disagree.

•••
I think people are addicted to the word algorithm. It's not at all a pure numbers game. If your name higher up the chain in desirability (characteristics that are endlessly mentioned here on NP) you have a better chance. Its not if your in you have an equal chance to sell a domain as all others. These sites let the low level names through too (up to a point) because you cant totally predict what a buyer is looking for (cant lose a sale, and they don't pay the renewals) If I owned the website I to would want everyone to think its a numbers game, The longer it's on the shelf stuff.

In other words don't worry about sell ratios, instead worry about what sold and why.

The one great thing about these Brand sites is they helped the dot com sell off immensely.

(but yes we agree to disagree, I wont comment further)

But back on topic, absent a method of looking up freshly accepted names on BB ?, the screen shot is the best method for the forum. Good Luck everyone

•••
Yep and my prediction is that BB will soon see that there is revenue to be made and they will implement a "transfer fee".

Edit: I want to add that this is pure speculation on my part, and I'm not saying it's a bad thing or a good thing. There is a labor cost and if it becomes burdensome I might do the same thing if it were my decision.

I'd probably do the same too.

•••
Ok here is a brand bucket question. Can you submit your own logo design? since it literally looks like the logo designer took at most 2 maybe 3 minutes just writing out the word and adding a gradient effect, saved and uploaded. Its honestly not clever at all & i feel the name on its own would sell better.

•••
Your argument is silly.

The domain's acceptance adds value,not paying a listing fee. Of course the same is true with SEDO--wait, SEDO doesn't accept domains. They merely list them, no matter the qualty.

Apples to oranges, my compatriot. Apples to oranges.

that same penguin can pay bb the fee, does it make the penguins' name valuable?

•••
I disagree Don, there is no value attached to a name listed at Sedo a Penguin can list any domain on Sedo for free and Sedo is not focused on the start up crowd, with any specificity in their marketing.

The value comes from BrandBucket being a curated marketplace that charges a fee to list.

Penguins are far to busy to be playing on Sedo
pop_run09.gif

I really don't see why BrandBucket would want to be associated with this crap.

Basically, as I understand it, someone it\s using the Brandbucket team's combined experience (over 30 years) of naming companies and products, along with their founder's background in linguistic studies and foreign languages to enhance a listing off-site.

All that they get in return is more people doing the same thing while they get associated with other platform auction as a form of ENDORSEMENT.

I would not allow just anyone to claim some form endorsement with their outside listings.

•••
•••
I've been seeing a lot of auctions here on NP that say "Brancbucket accepted", yet many of these names were only registered within the last week or so.

How long does it currently take to get a name on Brandbucket recently?

Here is an example of an auction with a domain that was registered on August 8th and then listed here at auction on August 14th. 6 days from domain creation doesn't seem like enough time to be accepted on Brandbucket and then list on here at auction:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/flipvia-com-brandbucket-accepted-1.874383/

Screenshot if deleted/edited: http://i.imgur.com/P9L26q2.png

dncafe, making this kind of public statements without talking directly to the involved people is a wrong habit.

This is my first post on the board: Here we go...

Although I understand the subject matter is unrelated to BB, but no one seems to have noticed in the mentioned auction that the domain was sold by the owner mid way through the auction thread when he posted at end of the 72 hours:

Grossu: "Thank you for the bids, dpan is going to grab it for $22"

Yet dpan seems to have not noticed the posting, and Grousu started bumping (as if the domain is still available) the thread up and poor/clueless dpan kept betting until $30 that's when Grosso added a $50 BIN.

This shows the seller is not being honest...
And I believe that dpan should get the domain for $22

Or am i seeing things?

JoeE, same message to you

This listing is not a fake, those interested can contact me and get explanations. Make domaining, not war.

•••
I really don't see why BrandBucket would want to be associated with this crap.

Basically, as I understand it, someone it\s using the Brandbucket team's combined experience (over 30 years) of naming companies and products, along with their founder's background in linguistic studies and foreign languages to enhance a listing off-site.

All that they get in return is more people doing the same thing while they get associated with other platform auction as a form of ENDORSEMENT.

I would not allow just anyone to claim some form endorsement with their outside listings.

Exactly.

I get there just hypothetically supposing some people want to play unfair and game Brand Bucket's system and NamePro's system to their advantage:

(1) inflate the perceived value of a BB approved name on NP or any other site to unsuspecting buyers (2) "sell away" from BrandBucket by listing an approved name on NP (or any other listing site), cheating BB from commission after BB was used for their valuation service (they approved the name).

And that penguin of yours took me to a far better place than this thread will ever get me hahaha - thanks, again.

•••
RULES UPDATED: 1.22. Any claims about sales items must be supported with a screenshot in the thread clearly featuring the domain or website at the time of posting. This includes, but is not limited to traffic, revenue, appraisals, etc.

This includes BrandBucket acceptance.

Having a screen shot that shows the site and domain is not really proof to be honest. It is extremely trivial to modify the HTML to display the correct domain or appraised value. Ideally screen shots should contain the address bar which should help demonstrate it is genuinely the site however it is of course still fairly trivial to change the HTML using some browser plugins.

Bottom line is any buyer is required to do some research prior to buying a domain name. Don't purely trust what the seller says. If a seller claims that the domain has x amount of visitors, research why that might be the case (is it linked from somewhere, was there a site on the domain recently etc).

If a domain has been appraised at $xxxx then why might that be the rough value (and remember an appraisal is only an opinion, easy to say thats the value if you are not buying it). Personally I do not believe that having a site listed on any service is of any great value. Brand Bucket for example claims to have 19,660 domains listed. In reality how exclusive is that? To be honest I have never used the company but looking at the proposed selling price of the domains on their homepage and looking at how over inflated they are makes me wonder how bad some of the domains actually are (but as these things go that is my opinion).

•••
Back