IT.COM

Are people faking BrandBucket accepted names here to auction?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

dncafe

I Buy WebsitesTop Member
Impact
I've been seeing a lot of auctions here on NP that say "Brancbucket accepted", yet many of these names were only registered within the last week or so.

How long does it currently take to get a name on Brandbucket recently?

Here is an example of an auction with a domain that was registered on August 8th and then listed here at auction on August 14th. 6 days from domain creation doesn't seem like enough time to be accepted on Brandbucket and then list on here at auction:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/flipvia-com-brandbucket-accepted-1.874383/

Screenshot if deleted/edited: http://i.imgur.com/P9L26q2.png

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
if sedo sells more names than bb, then sedo listed names should have more pvalue

if dns sells more names than bb, then dns listed names should have value

if each of those services has no listing fee, then it should be cheaper for the owners

if, ......

imo.....

•••
Please correct me if I am wrong:

- I submit a domain name to BB and it gets accepted for (say) $2000.
- I can pay BB $10 to have it published for sale there
-OR-

- Instead of paying BB the $10 to get it published with BB, and trying to compete with nearly 20,000 domains there, I instead can come here and start an "BB accepted" auction - hoping to get some (probably lower) percentage of $2000 BUT a more likely (and quicker) sale here.

Interesting question. I thought it was the first one you mentioned.

If it is the second one, which I highlighted in bold... then people bidding still need to pay that fee.

This whole thing of auctioning domains based solely on "whatever accepted" should not be tolerated on a domain forum, especially not NamePros. I mean, I can reg 10 domains for $0.99 a pop and get them "approved" wherever and sell them for $40-$80 each within days. The only people getting screwed are the less experienced.

Here's one that will definitely get approved: putinoviria.com- available to reg as we speak. Next week it will sell for $80 on NamePros with a title "Brandbucket Accepted".

•••
if sedo sells more names than bb, then sedo listed names should have more pvalue

if dns sells more names than bb, then dns listed names should have value

if each of those services has no listing fee, then it should be cheaper for the owners

if, ......

imo.....

I disagree Don, there is no value attached to a name listed at Sedo a Penguin can list any domain on Sedo for free and Sedo is not focused on the start up crowd, with any specificity in their marketing.

The value comes from BrandBucket being a curated marketplace that charges a fee to list.

•••

If it is the second one, which I highlighted in bold... then people bidding still need to pay that fee.

This whole thing of auctioning domains based solely on "whatever accepted" should not be tolerated on a domain forum, especially not NamePros. I mean, I can reg 10 domains for $0.99 a pop and get them "approved" wherever and sell them for $40-$80 each within days. The only people getting screwed are the less experienced.

Here's one that will definitely get approved: putinoviria.com- available to reg as we speak. Next week it will sell for $80 on NamePros with a title "Brandbucket Accepted".

I get where you are coming from, but there are people a subset of domain investors that consider a domain to be accepted by BrandBucket to have an intrinsic value, everyone may not feel that way, but for some BrandBucket acceptance is something valuable to them. Others will say I am not paying anyone $10 to list my domain.

•••
The value comes from BrandBucket being a curated marketplace that charges a fee to list.

But if the fee is not paid, then it can't have "value". Are these folks paying the fee?

•••

I don't get it, what's wrong with that? Someone put the time into find the name, invested their money to buy it, more time to list it, waited 7 to 10 usually for acceptance and then has to start an auction and wait for a buyer. I don't mind paying someone to do all that work.

•••
But if the fee is not paid, then it can't have "value". Are these folks paying the fee?

If just accepted no the fee not paid, some are selling names already listed so the fee is paid yes. I think the value is someone knowing it is already accepted and again for those that like BrandBucket that has value, for many I agree with you they will see no value in that.

•••
I disagree Don, there is no value attached to a name listed at Sedo a Penguin can list any domain on Sedo for free and Sedo is not focused on the start up crowd, with any specificity in their marketing.

that same penguin can pay bb the fee, does it make the penguins' name valuable?

sedo may not focus directly to a specific niche', but they do promote niche' themed names on occasion.
additionally, the 'start-up crowd' have purchased names from sedo as well, so they cater to a wider audience.

But if the fee is not paid, then it can't have "value".

that, is the fallacy of perceived value for bb listed names.

furthermore, that flawed premise would eventually apply to any marketplace that charges a fee, wherever a domainer crowd tends to flow.

imo...

•••

sedo may not focus directly to a specific niche', but they do promote niche' themed names on occasion.
additionally, the 'start-up crowd' have purchased names from sedo as well, so they cater to a wider audience.

furthermore, that flawed premise would eventually apply to any marketplace that charges a fee, wherever a domainer crowd tends to flow.

imo...

I know you are an independent and a rebel but you know there are people who see value in BrandBucket, you don't have to, some may overvalue it, but you know there are some that love the place.

•••
I know you are an independent and a rebel but you know there are people who see value in BrandBucket, you don't have to, some may overvalue it, but you know there are some that love the place.

:)
lol

being an indie or labeled as a rebel, only enables one to think for themselves, to say what they think and feel.....rather than letting other people say, what they should think.

still, i have seen names listed on bb, that have potential, but that also applies to any platform, even namepros...where some members pay a fee too.

so does that make their names more valuable, if np has value too?

logically speaking.

imo....

•••
:)
lol

being an indie or labeled as a rebel, only enables one to think for themselves, to say what they think and feel.....rather than letting other people say, what they should think.

still, i have seen names listed on bb, that have potential, but that also applies to any platform, even namepros...where some members pay a fee too.

so does that make their names more valuable, if np has value too?

logically speaking.

imo....

Don I did not create the phenomenon of listing these auctions here, I just suggested a way buyers would be protected by having a screenshot for proof.

•••

imo...

IMO, if I buy a BB approved name I am paying for convenience. I'm paying for someone else to do the hassle work. So the name has value whether the fee is paid or not. Its the same with buying my milk at the gas station, the supermarket or the dairy. As someone puts more time and effort into that milk, it becomes more valuable. If I don't have the means or the desire to buy the milk at the corner gas station, then I go to the supermarket, and if i want the best deal i go to the dairy. Same thing applies here, if i want the best deal I go find the domain and submit it to BB. That also includes the carrying costs for all the domains that are not accepted.

•••
Interesting topic. I've enjoyed reading the differing opinions. :)

•••
•••
Don I did not create the phenomenon of listing these auctions here, I just suggested a way buyers would be protected by having a screenshot for proof.

i know and i ain't got no beef with you

we all appreciate your effort to establish credibility for that posting issue, however that same result may have to extend to other marketplaces eventually, should same phenom occur.

which was the point, of the point, i was pointing out.

imo....

•••

Its basically a free appraisal and one with a reputable backing. It will be interesting to see if BB will start requiring $10 for them to analyze the name...

•••
•••
It is very interesting. I am torn.

I personally think Brand Bucket and the likes are total rip offs.

Don't they charge a 30% commission?

•••
•••
I personally think Brand Bucket and the likes are total rip offs.

Don't they charge a 30% commission?
I dont think BB is a rip-off, 30% seems a fair share thinking of the fact that they sell you a name, that technically does not correspond to the value they say it has, (of course there are also good names there) but for the majority of their names its just 6 or 7 random characters mixed up until they sound pronounceable , there you go, you have a "Brandable".

•••
I dont think BB is a rip-off, 30% seems a fair share thinking of the fact that they sell you a name, that technically does not correspond to the value they say it has, (of course there are also good names there) but for the majority of their names its just 6 or 7 random characters mixed up until they sound pronounceable , there you go, you have a "Brandable".

Afternic will even negotiate on your behalf for 20%. Now that's a deal.

•••
Afternic will even negotiate on your behalf for 20%. Now that's a deal.
Sell any of my brandables here in my brandables thread at 100$ or more (except Bendova.com), i pay you 50% :D

Now thats a deal. Rip me off. lol

•••
Sell any of my brandables here in my brandables thread at 100$ or more (except Bendova.com), i pay you 50% :D

Now thats a deal. Rip me off. lol

That's not worth anyones time and I'm not sure how that proves your point.

•••
That's not worth anyones time and I'm not sure how that proves your point.
BB sells you a crappy name , at a price you would usually never get for it, i dont see how paying 30% on something you would not have sold otherwise.

•••
BB sells you a crappy name , at a price you would usually never get for it, i dont see how paying 30% on something you would not have sold otherwise.

Don't you forward the domain to a BB landing page?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back