IT.COM

question Are .inc domain names worth the investment?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Super-Annuation

#Top Member
Impact
I've done some snooping and noticed a few choice keywords
under the .inc extension, and I also noticed the price.

Something close to 3k for the first year, but that's not without
the benefits (Google Ads, Vista Print etc)

The likes of Nike, FOX, PayPal, Nissan, Dell to name a few have purchased their place
And I've noticed words like Realestate, Happy, Idea, Green, Dream, Property have been swiped up.

Is there a good reason to get in on some of the extension?
Better still, is there a reason not to get in on the extension?

Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Nope. With the cost there is no opportunity as an investor.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
•••
Yes. Spend every penny you have on them.
Invest heavy

•••
Nope, and like .SUCKS, the $3K .INC is yet another "brand protection" money-maker and domain investors should stay away from this type of targeted scam.

•••
Yes. Spend every penny you have on them.
Invest heavy
Well I was thinking of getting Brand.inc and starting a premium brand ecommerce platform, min price 15k domains. 1.5k for up to 1000 visitors a month on Google adds and push the traffic inflow until it stands on its own, on front page, for specific key words.

I was also thinking of getting fund.inc because of its branding value.

There are plenty who waste 2k a year on rubbish doamins. Maybe it's quality not quantity?

•••
•••
•••
Fair enough. Why are all the big names buying them, and some people?

The first group, obviously for brand protection as the price + yearly renewal is just a promotional write-off.

For the second group, who knows, why did people buy .MOBI?

•••
The first group, obviously for brand protection as the price + yearly renewal is just a promotional write-off.

For the second group, who knows, why did people buy .MOBI?
Fair enough, but imagine owning Brand Inc, Block inc or Fund Inc, Smart inc or Art inc.

They're commercial domains for sure. High quality brand title. I especially took note of World, Space, Digital, News and Money.inc being taken. Money.inc is advertised for $980,000. That's a ballsy price.

I guess once you have the word, and the .Inc extension being largely professional, it's like a second chance at starting out with a stellar brand name and point of confluence.

I don't know man, I'm thinking of getting one or two, and maybe developing one because of the brand image.

•••
•••
•••
NameBio.com shows (0) entries for .INC, which means there have been (0) reported after market sales.

The vast majority of registrations are related to brand protection from multi-billion dollar companies. The extension barely has (1000) registered domains.

Good luck if you decide to "invest" the money in .INC.

Brad

•••
•••
One thing to look for is rating what type of keyword in an alternate non-COM gTLD or ccTLD you could buy for say, $12-$13K, or the ~5-year cost of a .INC. That's what you should compare the .INC name to, and see if it makes sense. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't.

But I think you might find a real reason why so many "killer" .INC domains are available, including single-letters.

•••
One thing to look for is rating what type of keyword in an alternate non-COM gTLD or ccTLD you could buy for say, $12-$13K, or the ~5-year cost of a .INC. That's what you should compare the .INC name to, and see if it makes sense. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't.

But I think you might find a real reason why so many "killer" .INC domains are available, including single-letters.
Few want to take on $30,000 risk for a POTENTIAL $100,000+ return.

I mean, someone purchased money.com.au for $450,000 recently. They could have easily paid out 40 years of Capital, Credit, Loan, Fund .com for that price.

So listen to those that have money, or some guy that published forsale add under uniregistry, of money.inc, for $980,000.

Its a tough call haha, but I know owning one of those babies might pay off

If you had to pick only one, which one?

•••

CaoiCap credit loan fund .Inc **

•••

Sure, but all the rest will not pay off.

And as the saying going, if you see a domain name sitting unregistered, then 99.99% of the time there is a very good reason for it. And if you're working from 0.01% from the start for hand-reg, that $2,500 renewal cost starts looking real scary.

But hey, if was interested in taking the risk, I would look in 2 areas, 1) short and key, key, key, financial terms that also work with .INC, and 2) single-letters that offer the best ROI on other TLDs.

The problem is, you probably need to sell for $50-$100K to make this worthwhile, so be extremely picky.

•••
While, as noted, it is early days for sales (I can't find any listed for sale using the advanced Dofo search, so that explains why none sold:xf.wink:), I too find it hard to see these as domain investment instruments.

So it costs $2000 per year. Let's say you have a superb keyword that you think might have a 1/5 chance in selling in any one year (way higher than industry or even most successful domainers average). Perhaps you can sell it in low 5 figs and net $10,000 on the sale. Many days not a single NameBio sale at $10,000, so I don't see this as assured. You are at break even status even with these optimistic figures.

I can see a few companies that can get their exact name including the Inc with them going this route, particularly if any of the 'free' add-ons are important to them. So it may succeed as an extension, but I can't see it being a good domain speculation investment.

Just my opinion,

Bob

•••
Few want to take on $30,000 risk for a POTENTIAL $100,000+ return.

I mean, someone purchased money.com.au for $450,000 recently. They could have easily paid out 40 years of Capital, Credit, Loan, Fund .com for that price.

So listen to those that have money, or some guy that published forsale add under uniregistry, of money.inc, for $980,000.

If you had to pick only one, which one?

I don't know Australian domain market at all, but I wouldn't even compare money.inc to money.com.au.

•••
For 3k you can buy one strong .com, with high chance to make a good profit / ROI. Try the same with one .inc

•••
For 3k you can buy one strong .com, with high chance to make a good profit / ROI. Try the same with one .inc

And pay $10 a year for renewals for the .COM, vs. $2500 per year for the .INC.

•••
•••
While, as noted, it is early days for sales (I can't find any listed for sale using the advanced Dofo search, so that explains why none sold:xf.wink:), I too find it hard to see these as domain investment instruments.

So it costs $2000 per year. Let's say you have a superb keyword that you think might have a 1/5 chance in selling in any one year (way higher than industry or even most successful domainers average). Perhaps you can sell it in low 5 figs and net $10,000 on the sale. Many days not a single NameBio sale at $10,000, so I don't see this as assured. You are at break even status even with these optimistic figures.

I can see a few companies that can get their exact name including the Inc with them going this route, particularly if any of the 'free' add-ons are important to them. So it may succeed as an extension, but I can't see it being a good domain speculation investment.

Just my opinion,

Bob
Thank you Bob. I have to say, after some research and thought, I'd have to say I share the shared outlook on .inc and can't see the speculative value at all.

You could push 300 .com for the annual cost, and well the .Inc are still available, so there's the market response to value

•••
Sure, but all the rest will not pay off.

And as the saying going, if you see a domain name sitting unregistered, then 99.99% of the time there is a very good reason for it. And if you're working from 0.01% from the start for hand-reg, that $2,500 renewal cost starts looking real scary.

But hey, if was interested in taking the risk, I would look in 2 areas, 1) short and key, key, key, financial terms that also work with .INC, and 2) single-letters that offer the best ROI on other TLDs.

The problem is, you probably need to sell for $50-$100K to make this worthwhile, so be extremely picky.
Thanks for your thoughts, domain recap. I'm still learning and enjoy this hobby of mine. I imagine .com or nothing will be my approach from here.

There's little speculative value as you say, so it's good to stick with what sells, and not try, with an absent mind, to ambitiously join in the creation of a unhealthy one haha

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back