IT.COM

question Are .inc domain names worth the investment?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Super-Annuation

#Top Member
Impact
I've done some snooping and noticed a few choice keywords
under the .inc extension, and I also noticed the price.

Something close to 3k for the first year, but that's not without
the benefits (Google Ads, Vista Print etc)

The likes of Nike, FOX, PayPal, Nissan, Dell to name a few have purchased their place
And I've noticed words like Realestate, Happy, Idea, Green, Dream, Property have been swiped up.

Is there a good reason to get in on some of the extension?
Better still, is there a reason not to get in on the extension?

Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Do not waste your investment on .inc domains. For $2000 you can find nice aftermarket domains.

•••
Do not waste your investment on .inc domains. For $2000 you can find nice aftermarket domains.
I tend to agree with you after putting more thought into it.

•••
I think it depends on the entity

if you are a limited or a partnership or conglomerate you aren't an incorporated so it has to make sense too. :)

•••
Thanks for your thoughts, domain recap. I'm still learning and enjoy this hobby of mine. I imagine .com or nothing will be my approach from here.

You should look for value and not artificially limit yourself to one TLD.

I can remember a few years ago finding a really good single-word .NET on the closeouts, so I snatched it up for $12 and resold it a year later for much more.

Value is key, not TLD, and at $2.5K purchase price + $2.5K annual renewal, that's why so many people are down on .INC.

•••
There are bad ideas and there are SUPER BAD ideas. This is SUPER SUPER BAD IDEA> Good luck

•••
I honestly think the .INC registry has one of the best business strategies of all the ngTLD's.

Their pricing point works perfectly for that they want to do and who their expected clients actually are.

If I had to choose one registry to work sales for, it would be .INC. Depending on their overhead costs, I think they've likely got a great long term business.

HOWEVER .. it's important to note that while .INC and a few other premium-heavy ngTLD's are viable businesses for themselves, their price points are not domainer friendly and their domains are most certainly not necessarily good investments AS DOMAINERS.

Specifically looking at .INC, I'd say maybe the top ~50-100 generic business keywords are still potentially good investments (for example: Money.inc, Mortgage.inc, Business.inc, Solar.inc, Cars.inc, etc). But for anything but those strongest of the strongest keywords are just not worth it at the current pricing.

I noticed this one guy had www.money.inc advertised for $980,000 on UniRegistry.
What are your thoughts here?

There are no thoughts here .. never EVER take into consideration the price tag of a domain. What one domainer could set at $1,000,000, another could set at $50,000 ... the only time a price tag should be relevant to you as a domainer is when the domain actually sells! Paying attention to the price at any other time is just a distraction*.
*(Unless the domain is priced by a known and successful domainer)

For the second group, who knows, why did people buy .MOBI?
As someone who grabbed many .mobi for potential development (long before I actually started "domaining"), I still feel that when it was released, .mobi was one of the most relevant TLD's with the highest potential value ... until the onset of Responsive Web Design .. which in an instant (more or less .. lol), effectively wiped out the entire value of the TLD. But until that point, all businesses potentially needed a separate website, making .mobi a good bet because the TLD had a specific purpose that was to be in huge demand.

•••
I ran out after "P'
but if you know of an old generic company that never bought a domain for their business you might have something although I cannot think of anything myself something like motor or acme.inc may be a hit.

•••
Few want to take on $30,000 risk for a POTENTIAL $100,000+ return.

I mean, someone purchased money.com.au for $450,000 recently. They could have easily paid out 40 years of Capital, Credit, Loan, Fund .com for that price.

So listen to those that have money, or some guy that published forsale add under uniregistry, of money.inc, for $980,000.

Its a tough call haha, but I know owning one of those babies might pay off

If you had to pick only one, which one?
https://www.money.com.au/ is on the right road to paying off. An end user with a domain name to back up their product.

I think the .inc name is worth it if you build a house on it.

It's certainly not for wimps but most of their customers will never know that and probably many have no idea about this extension.

Last edited:
•••
https://www.money.com.au/ is on the right road to paying off. An end user with a domain name to back up their product.

I think the .inc name is worth it if you build a house on it.

It's certainly not for wimps but most of their customers will never know that and probably many have no idea about this extension.
money.com.au is ultra premium in another league.

•••
money.com.au is ultra premium in another league.
I meant the .inc name is one that is not for wimps... on that last line but I see how that rolled out there because I didn't remention it in that line.

The money.com.au is excellent value.

Last edited:
•••
I honestly think the .INC registry has one of the best business strategies of all the ngTLD's.

Their pricing point works perfectly for that they want to do and who their expected clients actually are.

If I had to choose one registry to work sales for, it would be .INC. Depending on their overhead costs, I think they've likely got a great long term business.

HOWEVER .. it's important to note that while .INC and a few other premium-heavy ngTLD's are viable businesses for themselves, their price points are not domainer friendly and their domains are most certainly not necessarily good investments AS DOMAINERS.

Specifically looking at .INC, I'd say maybe the top ~50-100 generic business keywords are still potentially good investments (for example: Money.inc, Mortgage.inc, Business.inc, Solar.inc, Cars.inc, etc). But for anything but those strongest of the strongest keywords are just not worth it at the current pricing.

There are no thoughts here .. never EVER take into consideration the price tag of a domain. What one domainer could set at $1,000,000, another could set at $50,000 ... the only time a price tag should be relevant to you as a domainer is when the domain actually sells! Paying attention to the price at any other time is just a distraction*.
*(Unless the domain is priced by a known and successful domainer)

As someone who grabbed many .mobi for potential development (long before I actually started "domaining"), I still feel that when it was released, .mobi was one of the most relevant TLD's with the highest potential value ... until the onset of Responsive Web Design .. which in an instant (more or less .. lol), effectively wiped out the entire value of the TLD. But until that point, all businesses potentially needed a separate website, making .mobi a good bet because the TLD had a specific purpose that was to be in huge demand.
If I'm to use the word globally here, or vendor, DnPric.es suggests these are terrible sellers regarding reaching prices over $1000. I guess I would use this as a variable, among variables, when determining what's worth registering.

When I see seen money.inc advertised on a Uniregistry park, it sparked an interest, as I know money is a hot word.

So for the word money next to many gTLD's, It might have a better chance of hitting those higher numbers.

Which made me think "this lad, paying 2k a year, using Uniregistry, and likely has a fair idea about what he's doing, decided to take a stab and might cover costs selling a Brandable a year. This could grant him a fair payout of $980,000 as marketed."

The .inc is yet to produce a secondary market sale, so as a gTLD it isn't great, but the word money is marketable and its ability to reach the higher dollar sale is fair.

Do you think I should dismiss advertised prices, as they could be worthless. Like MoneyVendor on GoDaddy is 50k ish, but other valuable words and 'vendor' still produce little according to DNPric.es. I mean, most valuators wouldn't even touch the price the seller is asking.

If I were to pick an available search for a domain right now it would be keywords using home, job or credit. These words hit above the 20-30k a fair amount of times.

Numbers 123, 247, 360, 180 can do well before and after a word too.

Seeing a ddomad with those words or numbers, yes I'm interested in what people advertise them for. But after reading your post, I agree with you. Their prices they use are irrelevant. Its the data. The data is important

•••
Which made me think "this lad, paying 2k a year, using Uniregistry, and likely has a fair idea about what he's doing, decided to take a stab and might cover costs selling a Brandable a year. This could grant him a fair payout of $980,000 as marketed."

As much as you might think it does, unfortunately there is absolutely nothing true in that statement. Never EVER base the value of a domain on it's listed price. Many domainers are worse than automated appraisal scripts when it comes to valuing domains.

The problem with looking at prices on Uniregistry, Afternic, Sedo, etc etc .. is that you have no idea who is pricing them. Most of the time they are domain owners who really don't understand how much their domains are actually worth.

1- Prices domains are sold for = Not always accurate value of actual domain (many sales are under or over sold)
2- Automated appraisals = vastly less accurate than "prices domains sold for"
3- Prices domains are listed for = vastly less accurate than "automated prices" = USELESS

Figuring out the value of a domain is much more of a big picture thing .. there are many elements to a domain .. once you have a good grasp of those many many variables .. as well as industry knowledge of the domains specific niche .. then you can start to have a rough idea of a domains value.

•••
As much as you might think it does, unfortunately there is absolutely nothing true in that statement. Never EVER base the value of a domain on it's listed price. Many domainers are worse than automated appraisal scripts when it comes to valuing domains.

The problem with looking at prices on Uniregistry, Afternic, Sedo, etc etc .. is that you have no idea who is pricing them. Most of the time they are domain owners who really don't understand how much their domains are actually worth.

1- Prices domains are sold for = Not always accurate value of actual domain (many sales are under or over sold)
2- Automated appraisals = vastly less accurate than "prices domains sold for"
3- Prices domains are listed for = vastly less accurate than "automated prices" = USELESS

Figuring out the value of a domain is much more of a big picture thing .. there are many elements to a domain .. once you have a good grasp of those many many variables .. as well as industry knowledge of the domains specific niche .. then you can start to have a rough idea of a domains value.

Then traffic haha! Like 'TheCryptomine' may be brandable, but NewYorkFashionShow would probably beat it hands down in traffic, EMD, and its brandable too. Is this what you're meaning? Try get the traffic first, then work traffic with brandable?

•••
Back