Dynadot

Are flip dumps good places to list quick sale names?

NameSilo
Watch

Kuffy

Name StagTop Member
Impact
My understanding of domain flipping was that you bought a low cost name - say under $25 - and you sold it for a quick profit. This means it will probably go for under $250. However most of the sites that purport to be flipping sites seem to go for higher value names. Every now and again a true flip dump site seems to appear, and then fade away. Is there any merit in supporting these sites, at worst, it gives you name a bit of exposure, even if it is a dump and forget operation.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
These sites collect a listing fee, and usually try to make you purchase addons to 'enhance' your exposure. Ironically most of the names submitted are not even worth the listing fee - but the house always wins :)
Not sure the house wins much actually. Low sales or no sales + modest listing fees = little revenue.

•••
Requiring a listing fee rather kills the concept. Link dumps used to be popular some years ago, but I haven't seen those for a while. Probably because they no longer have any SEO value. I looked for some link dump software, but there didn't seem to be anything around that was being maintained.

I appreciate that most of the names will be pidgeon poo, but there could still be some gems in there, and a search facility could help to find them. They could be a way to flip names for end users to buy as well as domainers.

•••
My local market don’t need list fee. And only 1%commision. The negative effect is flooding with tons and tons of trashes. I wonder if end users could find what they want. Brandable and new tld are barried at the bottom of trash sea.

•••
Well that's really the whole point of them. If you own a great name like Kuffy.com, you wouldn't list it for $10 on a flip dump. If you registered a name to "taste" the traffic, and you decide that you don't wantr it, then a flip dump provides an alternative to dropping it. A no-hassle sale for $10-$25 recovers your reg fee.
It's like going to a jumble sale to buy jewellery. Almost all of the stuff is rubbish, but I have found the odd silver chain or gold ring.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back