IT.COM

Are domainers Entrepreneurs?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Are domainers Entrepreneurs?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes, they envision the future in a domain name, invest in it and reap the returns like Entrepreneur

• No, they are simply investors.

• Depends on factors like part time or full time investors etc. Pls mention.

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
Here is a poll on your views whether you as domainers consider yourselves Entrepreneurs? Or are we Entrepreneurs already?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Some are, some are just traders, and some are gamblers, others are just philanthropists. :)

•••
Some are, some are just traders, and some are gamblers, others are just philanthropists. :)
I think traders are entrepreneurs and all entrepreneurs are gamblers, in some respect.

•••
IMHO, an investor IS by essence an entrepreneur. In many countries there are tax exemptions for very small amount earned. I think we could use the same distinction for domainers.

•••
I left out investors - sorry about that. :)

I'd split investors into two categories - active and passive. The passive ones buy names and just dump them into a parking service, or don't do anything with them. The active ones build their own monetising programmes, and they work their names. I don't think I'd consider a passive investor to be an entrepreneur, any more than I would consider a gold investor an entrepreneur.

•••
Domainers are investing in ideas and digital assets that may or may not pay off, so I think there is some entrepreneurship involved. It is easy to get started and low barriers to entry compared to other endeavours. It surprises me that more people don't do it.

•••
Some are collectors......just like collecting fine art, jewelries, antiques.....

•••
I've had an interest and varied activities with domains since 1997 and have never considered myself an entrepreneur.

IMO within the broad universe of all domain endeavors there assuredly are true entrepreneurs -
those who develop time tested new software for various aspects of the domain world, those who develop registries, those who develop brokerage services, legal services, and the like.

Entrepreneurs are amongst us who do our daily domain what ever, as they are the persons providing the quality domain tools and services we use to achieve our own domain endeavors.

•••
en·tre·pre·neur
ˌäntrəprəˈnər/
noun
  1. a person who organizes and operates a business or businesses, taking on greater than normal financial risks in order to do so.

•••
That should not exclude a company that buys and sells names. I'd say some domainers clearly qualify. Others are probably just investors.

•••
I wouldn't say so, my definition of an entrepreneur is someone who builds something from scratch from their own initiative and someone that makes an actual contribution to society and that can mean you employ other people or your ideas change or help improve on something.

Domaining is just investing, like stocks and most domainers are sole traders.

•••
I'd say some domainers clearly qualify. Others are probably just investors.
( my opinion) and there are those who build on the entrepreneur work.

•••
You qualify as an entrepreneur if you take financial risk in any business.....

•••
If you are a domainer you usually are your own boss, aren't you? That clearly sounds like entrepreneurship to me.

•••
Back