Dynadot

news Apple acquires a startup which uses .net as their primary domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

capybara

capybaraTop Member
Impact
Apple has purchased the weather predicting app Dark Sky and plans to shut down the Android and Wear OS versions.

Dark Sky is known for its hyper-local weather predictions and ability to forecast minute by minute.

Full article (BBC)

Dark Sky operates on DarkSky.net, which was purchased on Uniregistry for $3500 in 2015, according to Namebio. DarkSky.com forwards to DarkSky.net and was probably acquired somewhere in 2018.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Box.com was known as Box.net, many years.

they upgraded from Box.net to Box.com for 1M

Switching gears..
Who thinks $3500 DarkSky.net 2015 overpay?

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for sharing the story @Don Gondon !

In the astronomy portion of my life I used DarkSky very often, as do a multitude of amateur and professional astronomers. By allowing you to set it to a specific location, like a star party site or observatory, one can get constantly updated, hour by hour, visually presented weather that includes things like cloud, transparency, seeing (a measure of how much turbulence there is that impacts images dancing and blurring at high magnification). It is really useful to make cancel or not decisions. I hope the product is maintained under new ownership.

Thanks again for letting us know.

Bob

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back