Dynadot

Anyone own any .CM (Cameroon) domain names?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
If so do you mind sharing how you went about registering them, how much you paid and if there were any requirements? Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Tempest111 said:
If so do you mind sharing how you went about registering them, how much you paid and if there were any requirements? Thanks

You must have missed the business 2.0 article on why the country keeps those domains to themselves....

•••
i read the article, thats what got me interested in it. I just didnt think they'd actually keep all the domains. Is it really impossible to register any?

•••
Yes, I tried the good old fax method (it was "hardcore") $8 per fax :(. Never worked.

•••
Hey,

Stay away from Cameroon domains or you will end up like me.

I have ordered a domain in September 2007 for $500 on Marcaria. They said that it will be ready in 8 weeks. I know its so long but I thought the wait and money might be worth it. Now its January - 4 months later and I don't have the domain and money is lost. Marcaria does not give money back and I lost my hope that I will get the domain.

Would be interested if anyone else got scammed like me.

•••
I think this whole extension will have a Dark Cloud over it from now on ....

www.ebay.cm Redirects to Amazon :o Thats always good.

Major Brand name going to it's competitor.

•••
Forcer: AFAIK the TLD is restricted to local companies.
Also Cameroon has a bad reputation for being very corrupt and I'm not sure how efficient the registry is.
Mark said:
www.ebay.cm Redirects to Amazon :o Thats always good.
Lawsuit ? :o

•••
•••
The government has/is negotiating with Kevin Ham and others to provide a SiteFinder kind of service that serves up ads/affiliate links if there is no legitimate .cm registrant. Don't believe they are allowing non-Cameroon Businesses to reg.

Also in the works with similar deals. .om (Oman) and .co (Columbia)

Mega millions in typos!

•••
forcer said:
Hey,

Stay away from Cameroon domains or you will end up like me.

I have ordered a domain in September 2007 for $500 on Marcaria. They said that it will be ready in 8 weeks. I know its so long but I thought the wait and money might be worth it. Now its January - 4 months later and I don't have the domain and money is lost. Marcaria does not give money back and I lost my hope that I will get the domain.

Would be interested if anyone else got scammed like me.

don't you think that this is a fraud?
Why Marcaria doesn't give back your money?

•••
I am not going to comment on .cm as an extention as I am not really well aware of it.

But Cameroon corrupt? Sure, things happen that are not kosher, however Cameroon is reputated for being one of the most stable and safest countries in the entire West Africa. Tourism to Cameroon is rising rapidly because it is a country where tourists can discover African culture without big worries on safety. So to comment Cameroon as a problem nation, seems harsh to me. I think within Africa it is one of the best places to spend your holidays.

Also, I think they should market .cm. Because of the similarities with .com, there is definitely a market for it. In most cases I think it is good when a country reserves its ccTLD for its own citizens. In this case however... think of how many profits the local government could make from .cm sales, they could invest this in a very good way so that the citizens could benefit from it. Like .tv where local public services have improved a lot thanks to allowing foreigners to buy .tv domains.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back